Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM

643 posts, read 506,646 times

Advertisements

Do you like the idea of having a roommate? Do you think it makes the cost of living in Michigan a lot cheaper? I mean living in places like Auburn Hills, Roseville, Grosse Pointe. And I assume that 40k per year would be needed for two people living together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I always enjoyed having a roommate. Even after we were married and had kids we took "roommate" of sorts. A live in nanny. Later, the son of a friend from church who needed to move out but his parents felt he was not ready to live on his own.

We enjoyed having them. Sometimes it is inconvenient, but mostly it was pleasant.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanks for your reply I like the idea of roommates because I'm not married and don't want to live alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I always enjoyed having a roommate. Even after we were married and had kids we took "roommate" of sorts. A live in nanny. Later, the son of a friend from church who needed to move out but his parents felt he was not ready to live on his own.

We enjoyed having them. Sometimes it is inconvenient, but mostly it was pleasant.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Thanks for your reply I like the idea of roommates because I'm not married and don't want to live alone.
Just make sure you do not get stuck with a nutjob. Check references, spend a little time to get to know them and have an escape clause in whatever agreement you make. You will either have to rent jointly and work out terms with the landlord (probably each of you will be liable for the entire rent regardless of whether the other one pays, but some landlords will do separate agreements), or you will have to sublet to your roommate (check you lease to see if that is allowed0.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Unless you are good friends with the person beforehand, I would not recommed it.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Truthfully I've had better luck living with "stranger" roommates than I have with long-time roommates. I always had roommates in college and that was a good experience, then after college I moved to the city and moved into a house with 3 other guys - none of whom I knew beforehand; I met them on Craigslist actually. I spent a day hanging out with them before moving in. We watched MLS and played video games. They were normal enough dudes, so I moved in that weekend. Over the next year they became some of my best friends. Eventually one of them took an internship with a senator and had to move to DC. I invited an old college roommate to move in. Bad choice. He had that level of comfort and attachment you gain after knowing someone for a while and was a bit stuck in our "old ways" and sometimes too messy for my tastes (we shared a bathroom), we all got along well enough, but I kind of wished my best friend/college roomie lived down the street, instead of across the hall.

Sorry, that's not a story worth further detailing, but my point is roommates are totally normal and acceptable, especially for a young adult - and that my experience has been people I didn't know were more concerned with being a "good roommate" than people I'd known for years. My only advice is make sure they have steady jobs, and hang out with them for a day or two before moving in to get to know any eccentricities about them. Find out what they do for fun, if they use drugs, smoke, stay up all night, work weird hours, have their girlfriend over 95% of the time, if they have decent hygiene. Do you have a car? What's the parking situation? - Address things like that. Make sure it's all agreeable to you before moving in. If it isn't, find another roommate(s), they're not hard to come by.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Do you like the idea of having a roommate? Do you think it makes the cost of living in Michigan a lot cheaper? I mean living in places like Auburn Hills, Roseville, Grosse Pointe. And I assume that 40k per year would be needed for two people living together?

There's nothing in this world that I hate more than having a roommate.

I'm not too familiar with the cost of living in those cities but if you're making 40k you should be able to do OK with no roommate in most parts of Michigan.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Why did you hate it? Did you actually know the person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There's nothing in this world that I hate more than having a roommate.

I'm not too familiar with the cost of living in those cities but if you're making 40k you should be able to do OK with no roommate in most parts of Michigan.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I had a roommate one time and that was more than enough. I would live in my vehicle before I lived with another roommate. Mr. CSD and I live together but I don't consider him a roommate since we are married.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 AM

I understand exactly what you mean thanks for sharing your story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Truthfully I've had better luck living with "stranger" roommates than I have with long-time roommates. I always had roommates in college and that was a good experience, then after college I moved to the city and moved into a house with 3 other guys - none of whom I knew beforehand; I met them on Craigslist actually. I spent a day hanging out with them before moving in. We watched MLS and played video games. They were normal enough dudes, so I moved in that weekend. Over the next year they became some of my best friends. Eventually one of them took an internship with a senator and had to move to DC. I invited an old college roommate to move in. Bad choice. He had that level of comfort and attachment you gain after knowing someone for a while and was a bit stuck in our "old ways" and sometimes too messy for my tastes (we shared a bathroom), we all got along well enough, but I kind of wished my best friend/college roomie lived down the street, instead of across the hall.

Sorry, that's not a story worth further detailing, but my point is roommates are totally normal and acceptable, especially for a young adult - and that my experience has been people I didn't know were more concerned with being a "good roommate" than people I'd known for years. My only advice is make sure they have steady jobs, and hang out with them for a day or two before moving in to get to know any eccentricities about them. Find out what they do for fun, if they use drugs, smoke, stay up all night, work weird hours, have their girlfriend over 95% of the time, if they have decent hygiene. Do you have a car? What's the parking situation? - Address things like that. Make sure it's all agreeable to you before moving in. If it isn't, find another roommate(s), they're not hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: