Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 669 times

Advertisements

My 12 son has ADHD. We moved at end of January and he had to start a new school in addition. He is use to a student ran school and ended up with a culture shock of an "old school" traditional school. He is extremely smart and today he had an emotional break down. He informs me that kids are making fun of him whether it is about his image, how he talks and even down to the shoes that he wears. This totally breaks me heart, almost 3 months at a new school and he has not a single friend. He blames himself and cries himself to sleep at night or he worries to the point he doesn't even sleep at night. He is now falling asleep at school on the drop of a dime and his grades at plummeting fast. He was straight A student and now it is C's and D's. I am frustrated for him and I am not sure what I can do to help him adjust to new school and to be able to make new friends. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM

792 posts, read 2,317,214 times
If you want to know about resources in your area, tell us what school district you're in.

If you want suggestions for coping with ADHD, you might try the Parenting > Special Needs Children, Education, or Health & Wellness > Mental Health forums. Go to the list of forums and scroll down past the US and World forums. There is a list of general forums devoted to various topics.

Welcome to C-D!

Last edited by tuebor; 04-18-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
If you want to know about resources in your area, tell us what school district you're in.
This is key to any possible suggestions. I know a "fair" amount about Ann Arbor but if you are in Midland or Grand Rapids what I know is of no use to you.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,929,001 times
Make an appointment with the person in charge of pupil personnel services in your school district. They should point you in the direction of support services or possible clubs/activities in the area or within the school district. Many districts have instituted the "buddy bench" for students who need to have a pal or friend for lunch or during recess. You might also want to meet with the Principal and the teacher to see what they suggest. Perhaps they can find one or two of his strengths and allow him to display those either in the classroom, or in a one on one situation.

For the summer months, see if you can find some summer enrichment programs that he might enjoy (science camps, math challenges, community programs at science centers, museums, zoo's, animal shelters, the library etc). This might enhance his self worth again, and he might be able to interact with others and find that not all people are cruel.

I'm sorry to hear that your son is experiencing this situation~let him know that this is not about him, it's about people that don't understand his uniqueness. This age group is a tough one, but there are resources available. You might want to check out and see if there is a support group for parents of students with ADHD~they can be a source of great information and resources in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan