Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times

Advertisements

If the economy is so bad in Michigan, why is the cost of living so high? I am looking to relocate to either Ann Arbor, West Bloomfield or Royal Oaks but I am having the toughest time finding an apartment! I was born and raised in Chicago and moved to Cincinnati following my now ex boyfriend. I wanted to move back home but the cost of living is too high and I dont want to live with my parents. I've always loved Michigian (my uncle has property in St Joseph and we would take the yatch up there from Chicago when I was younger) and many my friends went to Kettering or U of M and I'd visit from my school ATLEAST once a month, so I have spent alot of time in Michigan. So now I'm trying to find a decent place to live and it is so hard! Right now I have a 2 bedroom apartment with views of the river, downtown and the Kentucky hills, I am 7 minutes from downtown and in one of the most expensive areas in Cincinnati and my rent is only $625! I'm trying to find a 2 bedroom that accepts pets (one cat), in a nice, diverse area, near to highways, shopping, etc and under $700 but this is proving to be hard, why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Wow, different perspectives are an eye opener. I am on the East coast right now, and going home to Michigan in June to LOWER cost of living. A LOT lower than where I am now. Did you check to see what the difference in pay is? Might make up the difference in a hurry if it is higher.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

49 posts, read 218,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
If the economy is so bad in Michigan, why is the cost of living so high? I am looking to relocate to either Ann Arbor, West Bloomfield or Royal Oaks but I am having the toughest time finding an apartment! I was born and raised in Chicago and moved to Cincinnati following my now ex boyfriend. I wanted to move back home but the cost of living is too high and I dont want to live with my parents. I've always loved Michigian (my uncle has property in St Joseph and we would take the yatch up there from Chicago when I was younger) and many my friends went to Kettering or U of M and I'd visit from my school ATLEAST once a month, so I have spent alot of time in Michigan. So now I'm trying to find a decent place to live and it is so hard! Right now I have a 2 bedroom apartment with views of the river, downtown and the Kentucky hills, I am 7 minutes from downtown and in one of the most expensive areas in Cincinnati and my rent is only $625! I'm trying to find a 2 bedroom that accepts pets (one cat), in a nice, diverse area, near to highways, shopping, etc and under $700 but this is proving to be hard, why is that?
If you go East a little bit, in Shelby Twp w. utica road has a whole bunch of apts at your price range or at least it used to be. I know someone who used to live in the ones called Oak Hill, they accept cats, it is gated at night and M59 is right there. They used to pay $715 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath. They have a complex off of Mound and 59 with a Wal-Mart, AMC, max & ermas, texas roadhouse etc. if that is what you were looking for. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
If you go East a little bit, in Shelby Twp w. utica road has a whole bunch of apts at your price range or at least it used to be. I know someone who used to live in the ones called Oak Hill, they accept cats, it is gated at night and M59 is right there. They used to pay $715 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath. They have a complex off of Mound and 59 with a Wal-Mart, AMC, max & ermas, texas roadhouse etc. if that is what you were looking for. Good luck.
Thanks! And this is a nice, safe area? Is it diverse? I like the mixture of people I'm living around now, I don't wanna let go of that

Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM

49 posts, read 218,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Thanks! And this is a nice, safe area? Is it diverse? I like the mixture of people I'm living around now, I don't wanna let go of that
Yes, it is safe you aren't going to get killed or anything. lol. Well, it borders sterling heights and sterling heights has a high middle eastern population, but I'm not sure what your def of diverse is. There are a lot of bars in that area too, if that is what you wanted.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
$700 probably won't get you a 2 bedroom in a nicer area. The cities you mentioned tend to be more expensive. You might want to decide whether you would prefer a smaller apt. in an area you like, or maybe getting a roommate. It is interesting to hear different perspectives, I moved here form CA and I view Detroit housing as very inexpensive.

Have you checked salary statistics in your career field, like a previous poster wrote, the pay might be higher here. My BF actually makes more for the same job here than he did in California, he works in the legal field and found a job in less than 6 weeks and the offers kept coming. You might be able to afford a little more if you work in an in demand field.

Last edited by detshen; 03-08-2008 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Ann Arbor is a college town, which means that they'll be lots of demand for apartments often coming from students who hail from upper middle class families and who don't mind taking out student loans in anticipation of good incomes in the future. West Bloomfield is in the heart of the upper middle class area, which is why rent might be so high. I don't know much about Royal Oak.

He does raise a good question, though. If we were contemplating another state I would suggest that (1) fewer people are leaving apartments to buy houses now, and (2) folks are losing their houses to foreclosure and thus moving into apartments. However, Michigan is losing population so it would seem as though the prices would have to drop sooner or later. Perhaps the loss of population isn't enough to offset those first two factors.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
$700 probably won't get you a 2 bedroom in a nicer area. The cities you mentioned tend to be more expensive. You might want to decide whether you would prefer a smaller apt. in an area you like, or maybe getting a roommate. It is interesting to hear different perspectives, I moved here form CA and I view Detroit housing as very inexpensive.

Have you checked salary statistics in your career field, like a previous poster wrote, the pay might be higher here. My BF actually makes more for the same job here than he did in California, he works in the legal field and found a job in less than 6 weeks and the offers kept coming. You might be able to afford a little more if you work in an in demand field.
Well my job is 100% travel so I can live anywhere in the United States, I still would get paid the same, and they don't offer relocation since I am only home technically 3 days out the week. I would prefer a 2 bedroom only because of my cat. When I was in Chicago he was used to our huge 6 bedroom house and basement, he hates I took him to something smaller and it would be unfair to downgrade even more. Plus I like having an office. I guess the max I can pay is $800 but I do want to have a few hundred left in my paycheck after paying rent...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
Yes, it is safe you aren't going to get killed or anything. lol. Well, it borders sterling heights and sterling heights has a high middle eastern population, but I'm not sure what your def of diverse is. There are a lot of bars in that area too, if that is what you wanted.
Diverse meaning a melting pot of cultures. Like here, my area, Columbia-Tusculum, and Hyde Park are the most diverse areas where you will find all races living in the same place and often more cultural activities. Anywhere in Ann Arbor/Detroit area like this?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Ann Arbor is a college town, which means that they'll be lots of demand for apartments often coming from students who hail from upper middle class families and who don't mind taking out student loans in anticipation of good incomes in the future. West Bloomfield is in the heart of the upper middle class area, which is why rent might be so high. I don't know much about Royal Oak.

He does raise a good question, though. If we were contemplating another state I would suggest that (1) fewer people are leaving apartments to buy houses now, and (2) folks are losing their houses to foreclosure and thus moving into apartments. However, Michigan is losing population so it would seem as though the prices would have to drop sooner or later. Perhaps the loss of population isn't enough to offset those first two factors.
Thats an excellent point I never thought of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan