U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,787 posts, read 2,083,449 times
Reputation: 3571

Advertisements

Park City, UT is about 8,000 people and incredibly liberal. In fact I'd estimate there are more liberals in Park City than in all of Utah County (~550,000 people)..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,181,229 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Park City, UT is about 8,000 people and incredibly liberal. In fact I'd estimate there are more liberals in Park City than in all of Utah County (~550,000 people)..
The fact that you guys can name them speaks volumes (out of 100's of thousands of small towns in America).

Carry on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago
944 posts, read 930,240 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling_salsera View Post
Saugatuck, in SW on the Kalamazoo river, close to Lake Michigan
Meh, you can see the MAGA hats in Saugatuck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Louisville
4,397 posts, read 4,200,913 times
Reputation: 7554
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Meh, you can see the MAGA hats in Saugatuck.
You can find them everywhere. That's not an indictment that should disqualify an entire community from leaning liberal by any means. What's your threshhold qualifying a "tiny liberal town"? Absolutely no presence Trump supporters or conservative thinkers at all?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 10:38 PM
 
142 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 162
I can't think of anyone who wouldnt be welcome here. If youre Conservative, stay out of Ferndale or Ann Arbor. You'll be a fish out of water. but there are many areas where you will be right at home. There are communities for most groups of people here.Left, right, moderate. I believe theres a community for just about everyone in the state, though some people may not be welcomed in certain little pockets or cities. Dont park in Ann Arbor or Ferndale with a Trump sticker on your car. Or most parts of Detroit proper. But in Rochester or Oxford? Youll be fine. Michigan as a whole is probably more accepting of all walks of life than 90 percent of the other states. Just do your research to find the right part of the state for your liking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 PM
 
142 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have lived in Michigan for twenty years now and I tend to agree with this assessment. I would also add that the minorities living in the large cities contribute to Michigan going Blue in most Presidential elections, since for whatever reason they don't get out and vote nearly as much during state elections and you can see that we have a solid Red legislature and have a two term Republican governor who won both elections by a landslide.

I live in Monroe County, which is a mostly rural county wedged in between liberal Detroit and almost as liberal Toledo, Ohio. There are a fair share of conservatives here, but because of our location and strong ties to the automotive industry, there are also a lot of Democrats. Notice I didn't say liberals, because the odd thing is that here many of the people who vote Democrat are actually quite conservative both politically and socially, and far, far right of a typical Democrat in Ann Arbor, for example. Here it is not abnormal to see someone who is a lifelong Democrat and voted for Hillary simultaneously being a devout Catholic and staunchly pro-life, and not seeing the disparity in that at all. So many people I know who vote Democrat do so because their father and their grandfather were in the UAW or liked JFK, or whatever, and really don't identify with a lot of the modern Democratic Party's platform but vote that way anyway because they were taught that it was the only right thing to do. I'm sure this could be said of many Republicans too, but I see a lot of this in Michigan Democrats.

When Trump won Michigan, I think several factors contributed to it: the necessary weakening of the stronghold that labor unions have historically had on this state and their members, the hard left turn by the Democrat Party in recent years when Michigan is basically a pretty socially conservative state overall, and basic dislike for and distrust of Hillary. Not saying that Donald Trump was a great alternative, but he did offer something new and different and was not a known corrupt career politician.

Anyway, conservatives are welcome here, and in many areas you will be in the majority for sure. Michigan has many counties that are plenty conservative. Even in the larger cities, particularly Detroit, the city itself may be Blue, but many of the suburbs are Red, and even in Blue areas I have never seen anyone get really mean about politics, although you may meet with some disdain in central Ann Arbor or Detroit. Live and let live. You should be fine here as long as you don't go around trying to coerce people into heated political debates.
I agree with some of this. Many of the "UAW" Democrats are progressive on economic matters but also attend church and are pro-gun deer-hunters who like gas-guzzling muscle cars (that their staunch Democrat fathers probably built). The "Blue Dogs" definitely have a large presence throughout the state. True Liberals, are more likely to be scattered in college towns or small areas of urban cities. The city of Detroit, over 80% black, votes over 90% for Democrats. But many of the black democrats are openly religious and even disagree with some more secular positions of the party (they adored Obama, but admitted that they didnt really agree with his abortion or gay marriage positions). Its mostly the gentrified areas near wayne State where you find a cluster of very far left, secular Liberals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 PM
 
142 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I'm not gay, so take my two cents for what it's worth, but I have never seen any sort of rift between the LGBT community and the right-leaning population of Southeast Michigan. Overall, I'd say the urban areas of Michigan are rather welcoming to gays. Even the conservative folk I've met from Michigan tend to land somewhere between indifferent to completely accepting of gays. Conservatives here tend to be much more fiscally conservative, while being uninterested to even sympathetic about most social issues.
Thats me. I consider myself "center-right" because I disagree with the left on everything, but am not very extreme to the right on most things either. I'm not gay, so I don't really think its any of my business to get into theirs. I am not pro-gay because I don't feel like getting worked up over something I have not experienced and cannot fully understand. Its not that I dont care, its just that I dont feel its proper or "my place". Id rather focus on issues that equally affect both sides politically, all races, and are asexual. To me, its a distraction from issues we ALL face. When the economy goes south, gays and straights BOTH get a pink slip while a lot of people are thinking about someone elses sex life. I think its an unnecesarily divisive issue that distracts from things we have in common and its not really my job to interfere with a fight Ive never fought in. Just seems nosy to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
944 posts, read 930,240 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
I can't think of anyone who wouldnt be welcome here. If youre Conservative, stay out of Ferndale or Ann Arbor. You'll be a fish out of water. but there are many areas where you will be right at home. There are communities for most groups of people here.Left, right, moderate. I believe theres a community for just about everyone in the state, though some people may not be welcomed in certain little pockets or cities. Dont park in Ann Arbor or Ferndale with a Trump sticker on your car. Or most parts of Detroit proper. But in Rochester or Oxford? Youll be fine. Michigan as a whole is probably more accepting of all walks of life than 90 percent of the other states. Just do your research to find the right part of the state for your liking.
Nobody in Ann Arbor is going to deface a car with a Trump sticker. Nobody in some small deep red town is going to deface a car with a Hillary sticker. This type of property crime is extraordinarily rare everywhere, just as an FYI, and fear of **** like this drives a lot of the political segregation we see in the US now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM
 
67 posts, read 57,215 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Avoid Ann Arbor and you will be fine. Most places are a mix of viewpoints or are pretty open minded and accepting. (Ann Arbor is not at all open minded and accepting). Some places are overwhelmingly conservative. Detroit is very liberal but even there, people are tolerant of other viewpoints.
Spot on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM
 
142 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Nobody in Ann Arbor is going to deface a car with a Trump sticker. Nobody in some small deep red town is going to deface a car with a Hillary sticker. This type of property crime is extraordinarily rare everywhere, just as an FYI, and fear of **** like this drives a lot of the political segregation we see in the US now.
I was placing a Conservative sticker on my car in moderate Warren, when a grouchy guy walked up and began harassing me over it. I got mildly harassed by co-workers for a McCain sticker on my car. That same sticker got removed from my car in my driveway, in a center-left area that is moving farther left. we have already heard on here how hostile people are to Conservative views in downtown Ann arbor, and how the hostility has worsened over the last few years. If a Conservative sticker brings on harassement and another gets removed off my car in moderate-blue areas, then I can only imagine how much of a target a Trump sticker is in todays Ann arbor. Sorry if I offended your snowflake sensibilities, but seeing that republican congressmen was shot just because of his views and hundreds of emails and socia media posts were written condoning violence against Conservatives, I firmly believe that being openly Conservative nowadays is a safety risk in certain circles or places. Hyborbole? ask Steve Scalise and all the people supporting what happened to him, then tell me I'm overreacting. I think a car being vandalized in AA for having a Trump sticker is a possibility, I think its over 50% probable due to the violent turn political discourse, mostly toward the right, has taken.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top