Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 20,049 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to western MI from Cleveland, OH. My husband will be working remotely so we are free to pick any location that fits our needs best. We have 3 young children so schools and safety are important. Our budget is $400k-$500k. We want land. We would be miserable if we could see all of our neighbors.

We would prefer coastal. We will have a lot of out of town guests and would like to give them the vacation experience while they are with us. I have a list of towns with homes matching our criteria but want to hear opinioms on them. We will be coming up in a few weeks and I want a nice list of locations to check out. Please feel free to add any that might interest us.

Holland
Hamilton
Saugatuck
Muskegon
Allegan
Manistee
Northport
West branch
Delton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Pick any but Muskegon...

Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senc28 View Post
My family will be relocating to western MI from Cleveland, OH. My husband will be working remotely so we are free to pick any location that fits our needs best. We have 3 young children so schools and safety are important. Our budget is $400k-$500k. We want land. We would be miserable if we could see all of our neighbors.

We would prefer coastal. We will have a lot of out of town guests and would like to give them the vacation experience while they are with us. I have a list of towns with homes matching our criteria but want to hear opinioms on them. We will be coming up in a few weeks and I want a nice list of locations to check out. Please feel free to add any that might interest us.

Holland
Hamilton
Saugatuck
Muskegon
Allegan
Manistee
Northport
West branch
Delton
Wow, I think you should try asking a little nicer. No one here on the Michigan forum owes you a nice tailored list of beautiful towns with nice schools. Plus, if you're going to be my neighbor, apparently you don't want to see me. I get it, I sometimes get the mail in my boxers.

Last edited by magellan; 06-30-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Grand Haven-Spring Lake gets you generally well-regarded schools, good beach and waterfront channel and marina areas and downtown Grand Haven has a classic Lakeshore main street. Easy access to bigger city amenities in Grand Rapids, save for summer weekends when traffic gets to be a zoo and you probably don't want to fight that. Though you'll have to probably go to the fringes of town to get the space you're looking for.

Would be my pick for coastal life in the Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland triangle.

I'd also look at South Haven instead of Muskegon or Allegan. And Luddignton-Pentwater if you're looking in the Manistee area.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow, I think you should try asking a little nicer. No one here on the Michigan forum owes you a nice tailored list of beautiful towns with nice schools. Plus, if you're going to be my neighbor, apparently you don't want to see me. I get it, I sometimes get the mail in my boxers.
Everyone has their own perception of things, but I didn't get that attitude out of her post at all. When she said that she wants a nice list of locations to check out, I took that like she was planning to compile any information that she got here into a list of areas to check out, not that she was demanding that someone here compile the list for her.

I took her comment about being miserable if they could see all of their neighbors in the sense that they enjoy wide open spaces and don't want to look out their back window into someone else's back yard, not that they literally can't stand the sight of another human being or think they're too good to rub elbows with them.

I guess only she knows the way that it was intended, but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

OP, I'm sorry but I won't be much help. I have only been to the western coast of Michigan once and that was an all in one day drive by kind of thing. Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, and Ludington are the towns that we stopped in. I liked all of them but found Ludington to be pretty remote (although it is a wonderful little resort town and very pretty) and Muskegon to be a bit gritty and industrial feeling. That's all I have to offer, except to say that Lake Michigan beaches are absolutely gorgeous, kind of like the ocean only cleaner and prettier. I am most familiar with SE Michigan.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
traverse City Leelanau?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Saugatuck. There's a remote area of town for privacy, you have beaches nearby. You're about 20 miles from South Haven and 10 from holland. Douglas is another town next to Saugatuck.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Everyone has their own perception of things, but I didn't get that attitude out of her post at all. When she said that she wants a nice list of locations to check out, I took that like she was planning to compile any information that she got here into a list of areas to check out, not that she was demanding that someone here compile the list for her.

I took her comment about being miserable if they could see all of their neighbors in the sense that they enjoy wide open spaces and don't want to look out their back window into someone else's back yard, not that they literally can't stand the sight of another human being or think they're too good to rub elbows with them.

I guess only she knows the way that it was intended, but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

OP, I'm sorry but I won't be much help. I have only been to the western coast of Michigan once and that was an all in one day drive by kind of thing. Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, and Ludington are the towns that we stopped in. I liked all of them but found Ludington to be pretty remote (although it is a wonderful little resort town and very pretty) and Muskegon to be a bit gritty and industrial feeling. That's all I have to offer, except to say that Lake Michigan beaches are absolutely gorgeous, kind of like the ocean only cleaner and prettier. I am most familiar with SE Michigan.

Good luck in your search!
Perhaps you're right. I'm like a jaded Comcast customer service rep.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Perhaps you're right. I'm like a jaded Comcast customer service rep.
Well, you've been a mod on this crazy forum for a long time...

Old 06-30-2017, 11:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Muskegon is pretty rough in some parts. The other cities on your list seem fine from what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan