Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,178 times

Advertisements

I am a 43 year old single man and I do not have any children, I will only be bring my 7 year old dog. I was born in Detroit and lived there until 1980, then we moved up state to Indian River (across the street from Burt Lake on M-68) and stayed there until the Spring of 1984. Then my parents moved our family down to Tallahassee, Fl. (for work & opportunities), I went to school, through high school in Tallahassee. I then moved down to Tampa, Fl. for college, USF-GO BULLS!, and then I came back to Tallahassee and was offered a teaching position at the brand new local high school. Now, it is 18 years later and I am ready to leave the heat & selfishness behind and get back to God's country, good/quality people, and the comradery of a small town that I have always missed since leaving Indian River.

I have been to the Upper Peninsula several times, both as a resident (when I lived in Indian River) and I have also driven back up several times, when I lived in Tallahassee. The last time I was in Marquette was 1996 and the last time I was in Upper Peninsula was 2005, in 2005 I mainly stayed in the far Western portion of the Upper Peninsula. I was mainly in the area of Ironwood, Lake Gogebic, the Porcupine Mountains, and all the way up the Keweenaw Peninsula to Copper Harbor. Also, back in 1996 I went to Isle Royale National Park and hiked from Moskey Basin to Windigo and back. That Summer I visited over 20 National Parks and Monuments and to this day Isle Royale National Park was the most special place I visited, it was just breath taking I even got to here 1 of only a few (at the time) wolf's howl one night, several Park Ranger were jealous because they had been there all Summer and hadn't heard a howl themselves!

I have been a high school teacher here in Tallahassee for the past 18 years, I teach computer based courses, curriculum that involves things like: Web design - Graphic Design - Video Editing | HTML, CSS, & Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premier, and more. In addition to teaching, I have coached Cross Country & Track & Field. I coach the throws, Discus & Shot Put and I have had multiple State Champions. In the past, my male Discus throwers regularly throw over 160 feet and I have had a few throw over 180 ft.. Additionally, I have also worked in the Bicycle industry, both sales and service; I am a certified bicycle mechanic, I am Barnett Bicycle Institute graduate.

I am planning on making a trip up to Marquette this July, I should be there by the weekend after the 4th of July. I am planning on going to the high school and district offices and try meet anyone currently employed that can help answer any questions about transferring my teaching certification and just getting to know people and let them get to know me and my skills & background.

I need to sell my house down here in Tallahassee before I can move, as soon as the house sells, I plan to move. If it sells during the school year and I can't find a permanent teaching position once I move to Marquette, I have no problem substituting until I have established myself and people learn how dedicated and accountable I am; then I feel I should be able to acquire a full time teaching position at the high school.

If anyone in Marquette reading this wants to help answer questions (be my local contact) or even maybe met for lunch when I get to town, send me a private message and I will very appreciative for the help and kindness.

Also, anyone reading this that is a teacher or administrator at the high school, please let me know if it will be feasible to be a substitute for a while until I can get a full-time position. I think there is only about 85 teachers at the high school and I wasn't sure if there would even be a need for a sub several days a week.

I am super excited and can't wait to get up there and start the next chapter, I am looking forward to all the wonderful people and opportunities in Marquette. I have been doing a great deal of study and research on the area and I realize there is a new hospital being built and there is possibly a new, large retail center being built too and maybe even an indoor water-park.

I will be buying a quality snow bike once I get there, I watched this (www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dil8ikHSxE) and got hooked. Hope the house sells soon!

Thanks for reading and for any help, best wishes to all!

Last edited by NGK4; 06-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: broken YouTube link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
I can't offer any advice but I wish you well and hope it all works out. I suppose the key question is what sort of teacher turnover they have up there in the high school(s?)

Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM

craig11152 - Thanks for the response and well wishes! You are correct that information about teacher turnover is something I would like to know but, I do also realize that teacher turnover will vary greatly from year to year. If I can't get a full-time teaching position when I 1st move up, I will substitute teach at any school until I can find a full-time teaching position. If I do have to substitute teach for a while, then I will also try and get an evening job at a party store or restaurant. That way I can earn money to supplement the lower pay I will earn substitute teaching and also have a great opportunity to meet some locals and build friendships. I am not lazy and I will find away to make this work; who knows what the future holds but, that is also exciting to me, life is flux. Thanks again craig11152, best wishes!

Old 06-14-2017, 01:58 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
I was at this same point in life where I was tired of the oppressive heat in Georgia and relocated to Michigan. Best move I ever made...I can't offer any advice but Michigan is a great place to live and is always in need good teachers

Old 06-14-2017, 04:23 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I was at this same point in life where I was tired of the oppressive heat in Georgia and relocated to Michigan. Best move I ever made...I can't offer any advice but Michigan is a great place to live and is always in need good teachers
Yep, Michigan. Oppressive heat one day, followed the next day by freezing your butt off, LOL.

Nothing like 40-50 degree temperature changes...

Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I was just there a few days ago visiting a project. I cannot say I know the City well, but I can tell you there is a huge demand right now for pretty much anyone with skills in the construction trades (provided you can pass random drug testing). If you have any skills or experience in a construction related trade, that is a good paying option until you find a teaching position. We have a good friend who used to teach in Ipshemming, but that was a long long time ago, so her knowledge will not be of any help to you.

We were near L'anse for an extended weekend. L'anse is in the general vicinity of Marquette (sort of). It was indeed cold most of the time (high 50s and low 60s with lots of rain), but there were a few parts of some days that were hot (80s). That did nothing to detract form how stunningly beautiful the area is.

We spent a week near Munising last year in late June and the weather was perfect the whole time. The area is just incredible. You can spend a whole lot of time visiting/doing cool things and not run out for years.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
There is a yooper reddit forum. Not a lot of people on it but some actual yoopers. I would check there.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
I live in Marquette. I LOVE it here. Full disclosure: I am a native Yooper, so that may color my impression!

I would be happy to offer any information I have. I will tell you that teaching positions are highly competitive in Marquette. Many new teachers find themselves teaching half time, or doing a long-term sub in a subject they never imagined teaching. That said, a qualified, motivated, persistent transplant can be in the right place at the right time and land a job.

Here's info on the Marquette Area Public Schools. You'll also want to look at the Marquette-Alger Regional Educational Service Agency.

A couple of things to consider: Our relative isolation is different from the isolation downstate. We are hundreds of miles from a city. Green Bay, WI, is the closest, and that's not really much of a city. It has a mall & entertainment venues, though, and the Packers are near & dear to many hearts here.

You may be able to pick up a side gig with your bike experience. That's so huge up here. I love seeing the fat tire bikes in the winter! We are becoming more & more bike friendly every day.

I wish you all the luck in the world! If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM

leebeemi, thank you for the offer I truly do appreciate your willingness to help! I have actually been hoping you would write/reply because I have been all over these boards, and the entire Internet... , researching and looking up information on the Marquette area and I kept coming across posts where I found you and your replies about Marquette.

leebeemi, you seem to be the most friendly person from Marquette on the Internet I am glad you want to help!

Anyhow, I have changed my plans somewhat, I was originally going to just leave Tallahassee this fall and move up without a job, hoping that I would find one within 1 year now, I have decided not to move until I have already secured a full time teaching position. In the beginning I didn't realize how tight the teaching job market was until I spoke with some people involved in the local school system.

I didn't get in contact with anyone from Marquette schools but I did speak with the Ishpeming Public School Districts Secretary to the Superintendent, and she told me how they are not hiring any new teachers this year... In fact, she told me that the high school was actually laying off 1-2 teachers due to decreased enrollment, likely from some local Mine that had just closed within the last few months. She told me that the local Mine closing meant that the area would lose about 250-300 good local jobs.

Realizing now that it may be more difficult to obtain a full-time teaching position w/insurance than I first realized. I have decided to stay put and apply from a distance, while traveling this summer and subsequent summers to meet people, lay a foundation, and try to get known/accepted into the local society. I am planning on driving up to the Upper Peninsula, leaving Tallahassee after the 5th of July. I will be visiting the Marquette-Negaunee-Ishpeming area first then on to the Houghton-Hancock-Calumet area, in each township I will be attempting to met the Superintendent, Principal, and any teachers/locals that have the time and are willing to conversate and associate.

I am coming up in my pickup truck with a camper shell, I will have my dog with me and my Surly Krampus bike. I was planning on staying in the back of the truck with my pup, parked at various locations. I was thinking about staying at the local Super-Walmart (overnight) to start and maybe going to the local campground or a cheap hotel once, maybe twice a week so, I have access to showers and such. Also, like I have done in the past, I may even meet a local that will be willing to let me park on their property or in front of their house. People are nice and you never know what kindness may come your way, I have often been pleasantly surprised in the past.

leebeemi, when I get to town, if I send you a private message would you be willing to meet for a coffee and conversation? I will buy and would be very appreciative of your time, company, and any insight you may have about my visit. Let me know, if all goes as planned I should be in Marquette no latter than the 7th or 8th of July.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Try the colleges. The Colleges up there seem to be dong well. NMU, Mich tech, Lake Superior State. Maybe you will have to get a masters online before you can teach at a college, but that may not take as long as waiting for a position to open up where you are the best applicant who applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan