Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times

Advertisements

Aww, shucks. You'll make my head swell.

Yeah, it's a tight market for teachers. I know a few freshly minted education students that thought they'd hang here & get a teaching job. One did a string of long-term subs & did get hired (but not in his preferred subjects), one got hired 1/2 time, one got hired in a town about 2 hrs from Marquette, and one decided to go a different direction.

There is a campground called Tourist Park right in town. Contrary to it's name, it's a lovely campground. As long as you don't plan to be in town during Hiawatha Traditional Music Festival weekend (which I think is the weekend of 7/22), you can usually find a spot. You can find info here.

Def PM me when you get in town. If I'm here, I'll be happy to meet somewhere--I have a LOT of travel this summer, which is unusual for us--we usually stay close to enjoy the Marquette summer! I will say, bring some warm clothes! We have been cold & wet--it's 48 degrees & raining right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGK4 View Post
leebeemi, thank you for the offer I truly do appreciate your willingness to help! I have actually been hoping you would write/reply because I have been all over these boards, and the entire Internet... , researching and looking up information on the Marquette area and I kept coming across posts where I found you and your replies about Marquette.

leebeemi, you seem to be the most friendly person from Marquette on the Internet I am glad you want to help!

Anyhow, I have changed my plans somewhat, I was originally going to just leave Tallahassee this fall and move up without a job, hoping that I would find one within 1 year now, I have decided not to move until I have already secured a full time teaching position. In the beginning I didn't realize how tight the teaching job market was until I spoke with some people involved in the local school system.

I didn't get in contact with anyone from Marquette schools but I did speak with the Ishpeming Public School Districts Secretary to the Superintendent, and she told me how they are not hiring any new teachers this year... In fact, she told me that the high school was actually laying off 1-2 teachers due to decreased enrollment, likely from some local Mine that had just closed within the last few months. She told me that the local Mine closing meant that the area would lose about 250-300 good local jobs.

Realizing now that it may be more difficult to obtain a full-time teaching position w/insurance than I first realized. I have decided to stay put and apply from a distance, while traveling this summer and subsequent summers to meet people, lay a foundation, and try to get known/accepted into the local society. I am planning on driving up to the Upper Peninsula, leaving Tallahassee after the 5th of July. I will be visiting the Marquette-Negaunee-Ishpeming area first then on to the Houghton-Hancock-Calumet area, in each township I will be attempting to met the Superintendent, Principal, and any teachers/locals that have the time and are willing to conversate and associate.

I am coming up in my pickup truck with a camper shell, I will have my dog with me and my Surly Krampus bike. I was planning on staying in the back of the truck with my pup, parked at various locations. I was thinking about staying at the local Super-Walmart (overnight) to start and maybe going to the local campground or a cheap hotel once, maybe twice a week so, I have access to showers and such. Also, like I have done in the past, I may even meet a local that will be willing to let me park on their property or in front of their house. People are nice and you never know what kindness may come your way, I have often been pleasantly surprised in the past.

leebeemi, when I get to town, if I send you a private message would you be willing to meet for a coffee and conversation? I will buy and would be very appreciative of your time, company, and any insight you may have about my visit. Let me know, if all goes as planned I should be in Marquette no latter than the 7th or 8th of July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 12,675 times
Hello Craig
Welcome to Marquette. Personally I would secure the employment first before the move. In general jobs are tough to come by. The scenery is beautiful with countless nature and outdoor activities. A very safe place to live. The weather is unpredictable. Extreme temp changes and often overcast for weeks.
Concerning employment I would have a few options lined up. Be prepared to think outside the box. The big employers are UPHS Marquette, Eagle Mine, State of Michigan and NMU.
Maybe use your skills to start a business? A lot of folks must return to school and retrain for a high demand job: health care, welding etc..
Renting in the city is very expensive, many renters live at Sawyer Village ( former air force base).
Buy good snow tires!
Good luck

Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 PM

138 posts, read 156,239 times
I don't actually live in Marquette but go there about twice a month because its the place for us yoopers to hang out when we miss the big city life. You might try looking for jobs in the smaller towns like Iron River, Ironwood, Calumet first if you have trouble with finding something in Marquette. As with any professional service job in the UP, there is a lot more opportunity in the smaller towns as they are somewhat less desirable to live in. You can always transfer to Marquette later after you develop connections. Its like one big family up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan