Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 13,253 times

Advertisements

We just got back from our trip and had a wonderful time. Thanks again for all of the information and help.

Over 5 days, we hit Grand Rapids, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Zeeland, Ada, Rockford, and Traverse city. For several of the locations we just drove to the downtown area and took a walk. I'm sure we missed a lot of good stuff, but our goal was just to get a feel for the locations and from that perspective the trip was very successful.

Overall I was surprised to find that both my wife and I were turned off by the touristy vibe of all of the Lake Michigan towns. I expected that I would like the activity, but not so much. They were all great places, especially Traverse City and Saugatuck, but maybe not for us.

We had a great evening in Grand Rapids, and we LOVED Rockford. The brewery, the bicycle trail that goes straight through town, the locally owned shops and restaurants, the Rouge River, the fishing... it scratched all of the right itches. We are hoping to get back next weekend to spend a little more time there, and there is a good chance that this is where we will settle.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ghaleon; 08-03-2017 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:48 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
We just got back from our trip and had a wonderful time. Thanks again for all of the information and help.

Over 5 days, we hit Grand Rapids, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Zeeland, Ada, Rockford, and Traverse city. For several of the locations we just drove to the downtown area and took a walk. I'm sure we missed a lot of good stuff, but our goal was just to get a feel for the locations and from that perspective the trip was very successful.

Overall I was surprised to find that both my wife and I were turned off by the touristy vibe of all of the Lake Michigan towns. I expected that I would like the activity, but not so much. They were all great places, especially Traverse City and Saugatuck, but maybe not for us.

We had a great evening in Grand Rapids, and we LOVED Rockford. The brewery, the bicycle trail that goes straight through town, the locally owned shops and restaurants, the Rouge River, the fishing... it scratched all of the right itches. We are hoping to get back next weekend to spend a little more time there, and there is a good chance that this is where we will settle.

Thanks!
I thought you would like Rockford, based on your interests. It's an outdoor lover's paradise really, especially for only being 20 minutes from Grand Rapids.

We live about 7 miles South, but my Rockford favorites: White Pine Trail, Rockford Brewery, hot dogs at the Corner Bar, the new Green Well restaurant, mountain biking trails (Luton, Cannonsburg and Merrell), Bostwick Lake Inn, seeing the Grand Rapids Symphony at Cannonsburg Ski Area in the summer (Picnic Pops), Townsend Park, and the rolling forested hills are really pretty in the Fall, especially East of Rockford and the Cannonsburg area (Ramsdell and Honey Creek drives).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan