Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,654 times

Advertisements

Did any one see the part on CNN today that did a part on homes across michigan burning?
It said that people are so desprate in Michigan and can not sell their homes they are trying to get out of the bad situation by burning them. One local law inforcment officer said that they were not bad people, the were good people just in a very desprate situation, they also said that the law was not giving prosicuting some and giving very easy sentances on others.
I can still remember people saying that things were getting better last april.
I doubted it highly then and I can tell you now that if you do not own a home in michigan now do not buy one,Think twice before moving to michigan.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
That's not from being desperate, that's from being spiteful and destructive and greedy.

It's one thing to lose a home you could not afford. Maybe you were too gullible and fell for a subprime interest-only payment loan or you wanted to impress your friends by a bigger house than you could afford. Or you misjudged the economy and your ability to hold a job -- but to destroy property out of spite or to try to win some insurance money?

Anyone doing this should be sent to prison for a long long time.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Default homes burn

I totaly disagree, you have to walk a mile in a persons shoes before you can say what kind of person he she is. Its always easy to be a arm chair quarterback.

People do desprate things when they feel there is no way out. I for one will not judge people who feel that they are in a situation that they can not get out of.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,154 times
Whatever...... I'm looking to buy my 2nd house in Michigan and not gonna burn either one. I'll have one in the lower and one in the upper.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Arson is arson doesn't matter what the people are feeling. Lock them up!

As for buying a home in Michigan, it is no different that any other state right now. I personally am going to be buying one soon. And if the market keeps up like it is, just may start getting property as well. Now is the perfect time to start buying in Michigan, last month the home values started to rise again in some areas, and it is a buyers market still.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 AM

I dont buy it for one min. that homes in some places are rising in price. every thing is dropping and the taxes are rising. Post proof of what you say is true, and not anecdotal talk. Post a link to a news paper besides the onion that states what you say.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglehart View Post
I totaly disagree, you have to walk a mile in a persons shoes before you can say what kind of person he she is. Its always easy to be a arm chair quarterback.

People do desprate things when they feel there is no way out. I for one will not judge people who feel that they are in a situation that they can not get out of.
Walk a mile in the shoes of the firefighters going to the crime, the risk when they get there, and the families waiting at home. The tax payers, paying the bill.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Sure --- well how about walk a mile in the shoes of the neighbors whose lives they are risking. These criminals know full well their fires could get out of control and burn down other houses, killing many people but the greedy self-centered jerks care only about the insurance money they hope to scam.

Money -- that's all that matters so they can go on buying what they can't afford and if babies die in the fires, if neighbors can't get out in time -- so be it. And what about the property values of the neighbors when the neighborhood has these burned out homes?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:

So, robbing a bank or store would be fine too????

Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
I dont buy it for one min. that homes in some places are rising in price. every thing is dropping and the taxes are rising. Post proof of what you say is true, and not anecdotal talk. Post a link to a news paper besides the onion that states what you say.
I usually don't answer bleeding heart liberals that maintain a stance that burning a home and endangering neighbors and firefighters is ok in certain situations.

This time I will make an exception. For one I haven't a clue what "the Onion" is, and by the name don't care to either.

Grand Rapids Statistics - Home Values - Grand Rapids, mi home prices are over the course of 2-5 years, most housing professionals and investment professionals agree that you shouldn't buy if you don't plan on being in that home for less than 5 years.

Home prices by city - MSN Money This breaks it down by home prices for the first quarter of the year so far, the last year overall, and the 5 year mark. While there had been a general decline last year over all there have been gains so far into the first quarter (which is what I was saying) and generally a gain over the 5 year mark. The highlight areas are:

......Area..............................Rank....1s t 1/4...year....5 year
Ann Arbor, MI........................274......0.75....-7.94.....1.89
Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI.....259.....0.51....-6.13....-1.61( slight loss at 5 year, but recent gain)
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI.......239......0.40....-2.98.....8.33
Holland-Grand Haven, MI.........195.......0.76....-0.24....11.20
Lansing-East Lansing, MI.........228.......0.89....-2.37....11.84

The list is long and I don't really want to copy more of it.

There are a couple of legit sites that are saying the same as I did, so far I haven't found anything of the story you posted at the start of the thread. Link please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan