Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should recreational marijuana be legal?
Yes 38 82.61%
No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

No you cannot pass a drug test if they test for marijuana and you have used it recently. Yes, you can still be suspended without pay or fired for failing a drug test for Marijuana even if it is legal to use it in your state. Legalizing it does not make it protected. You can also be fired for smoking cigarettes, or for texting while driving - even on your own time.

People do not get to make the choice whether they pass the drug test or not, but they can choose to use it and get fired or not. Remarkably, a considerable number choose to get fired.

As to the OP, I understand the arguments on both sides. I was generally on the side of legalize and regulate it, but having seen what has happened in Denver, now I am not so sure. It will be interesting to see how things go in California over the next five or ten years.

I do not think there is much chance of it passing in 2018. It is not a presidential election, so Detroit/Wayne County, and Ann Arbor will not vote heavily. Most of the rest of the state is pretty conservative. I expect it will eventually be legalized, but not until 2020 or maybe even 2024.

I do not see what difference it will make. It is virtually legal now. Anyone with $75 who can say the word anxiety can get a card for medical use. It is easier than getting a drivers license. Realistically, in Michigan, the legalize it people are just trying to remove the stigma and make it as common as smoking cigarettes once was.

I do think it should be illegal in public places. Smoke it at home or at a party if you are not driving - fine, that is up to you. Blow it in my son's face at a concert or festival and you should be arrested. If they make it legal, the penalty for public use should be stiff - at least $500 and maybe a day or two in the pokey. Triple that if you blow it in someone's face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I'm gonna say no...I don't want my kids to think its okay to use cannabis because its legal.
This whole making things taboo is why people experiment in the first place. People always want what they can't have.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I don't think it should smoked out in the open in public and I am a big pro-legalize advocate.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 PM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As to the OP, I understand the arguments on both sides. I was generally on the side of legalize and regulate it, but having seen what has happened in Denver, now I am not so sure. It will be interesting to see how things go in California over the next five or ten years.
What is happening in Denver?

Old 09-27-2017, 04:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
I have very mixed feelings on the wisdom. The stuff that is "pot" now days seems a lot more potent than in the "old days". I haven't smoked it but I have seen it touched it and smelled it. To the extent that it means you smoke less I suppose its a wash but if it means you get way more stoned then I worry.

For disclosure....I am 65 years old and did my share of drugs in the late 60's through mid/late 70's.
I smoked pot and hash, I snorted cocaine, did LSD, "mescaline", "psilocybin", ate peyote buttons (they truly are foul tasting) I stayed away from opiates and needles.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
The stuff that is "pot" now days seems a lot more potent than in the "old days".
Since something like 1980, the THC concentration has tripled from 1% to 3%.

I'm all for legalizing it. I voted for that in Mass last year - it passed easily here, but the state is dragging it's feet setting up the distribution, we might not get places to buy it until 2020 meaning it's still basically illegal - it's legal to smoke it or grow it, but you can't buy or sell it.

Regulate it, tax it, and align the smoking laws to the tobacco smoking laws (no public places, etc).

Old 09-27-2017, 10:49 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:
I have very mixed feelings on the wisdom. The stuff that is "pot" now days seems a lot more potent than in the "old days". I haven't smoked it but I have seen it touched it and smelled it. To the extent that it means you smoke less I suppose its a wash but if it means you get way more stoned then I worry.

For disclosure....I am 65 years old and did my share of drugs in the late 60's through mid/late 70's.
I smoked pot and hash, I snorted cocaine, did LSD, "mescaline", "psilocybin", ate peyote buttons
(they truly are foul tasting) I stayed away from opiates and needles.
If you did all that in your youth and turned out fine, why would you question legalizing pot, which even at today's potency is a lot more, I don't know, maybe mellow is the word I'm looking for, than the drugs you also used over a period of ten years?

Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
If you did all that in your youth and turned out fine, why would you question legalizing pot, which even at today's potency is a lot more, I don't know, maybe mellow is the word I'm looking for, than the drugs you also used over a period of ten years?
I did a lot of stupid things and "turned out fine" That doesn't mean some of them weren't mistakes in hindsight. But it's human nature that we all seem to learn from our own mistakes much more readily than the mistakes of others.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:

I smoked pot and hash, I snorted cocaine, did LSD, "mescaline", "psilocybin", ate peyote buttons (they truly are foul tasting) I stayed away from opiates and needles.
Just curious did you ever scare a toad from Colorado and then lick it to get high? Not topical, I just think that is the funniest thing ever and I am curious about it. What did they do to scare the toad? Make faces at it?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
Visited Seattle recently. I have no problem with weed but didn't like all the billboards and other signs advertising it...seemingly everywhere! If people want it, it really isn't hard to find. Doesn't need to be promoted all over the place; concerned about kids getting into it way too early. Other than that I'm fine with it, and would like to see government regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: