U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

I feel very fortunate to have found this forum this evening.

In mid-May I plan to move to Kalamazoo, MI to complete my graduate training at KCMS, Borgess, and Bronson. Unfortunately I have had terrible luck finding acceptable housing in the Kalamazoo area. I am a 26 yr old single female without pets. With any luck, you folks might be able to shed some light on a few things...

1. I will be leaving and returning to my apartment at the wee hours of the morning and often rather late at night, apart from the Northside and the Edison neighborhoods, are there any other areas I should avoid?

2. Which are the best apartment complexes in the area that might rent to students but are not considered "student apartments"?

3. I have heard several horror stories about the converted apartments in some of the larger homes. Are these generally a safe bet? In reasonable safe areas? Do you have any suggestions for where I can find these apartments online?

4. I have often been told to stay away from the Vine area because of the student parties but so much that I see online is labeled "Vine District". Are there some relative streets that border the student area so that I know where to stay away from?

5. Would anyone suggest that I rent a home in the area rather than an apartment? Where would I begin looking for rental houses in Kzoo?

I know that was long but I would really appreciate any response, even if you were to suggest a realtor/company.

Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 AM

6 posts, read 67,989 times
Having grown up in Kalamazoo, I think I can shed some light on a few things. You're absolutely right about avoiding the north side and edison neighborhoods. I don't think I need to elaborate... Regarding the Vine neighborhood, that's known locally as the "student ghetto" and you would be wise to avoid that to, given your situation and life goals. If you want rough boundaries, it's Oakland on the west, Westnedge on the east, Howard on the south and Lovell on the north. As the name suggests, it's populated mainly by students at nearby WMU, so it has all the problems associated with that. Also, I would avoid all the housing along the West Michigan Ave. corridor on the other side of WMU, mostly for the same reason.

With that said, Kalamazoo isn't that big of a town. I live on the south side of town off of Westnedge and it's great. I live about a half-mile north of Portage and going downtown or to school only takes about 5-10 minutes. Considering you'll be working at the hospitals, it might not be a bad idea to look at Parchment (NE of downtown) due to its proximity to Borgess and Bronson. There are several complexes on the south side and in Portage as well that would probably suit you nicely. Feel free to PM me if you need specific suggestions. I can probably help you find something.

As far as house renting, I have no experience with that, but it might not be a bad idea. It all depends what your budget is and whether you'll have to find a room mate. A lot of the rental property would be found in some of the areas you'd like to avoid, but I'm sure there's something out there for you. Again, go ahead an PM me if you'd like and I can probably make a few more specific suggestions.

-MAN

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM

128 posts, read 594,065 times
my friend lives in gull prarie or gull run, which i think are very nice, definitely not student, and near the hospital

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM

219 posts, read 482,246 times
Good luck Doctor in finding housing. I agree that Gull Prairie would be a good choice. Its not a student apartment. It would be very convenient to Borgess, but it would be a 15 minute drive to the KCMS building on Oakland Dr. Lake Forest apts. off W. Main are nice and close to downtown.

A trusted realtor is Jennie Krannick at Jaqua Realtors.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM

316 posts, read 1,132,034 times
It depends on your budget. If you want to be around professionals, and have a little extra cash, I would rent any of the downtown lofts or condos you might find in downtown Kalamazoo. One could be really nice if you have a roomate, and is right next to one of the hospitals, called the skyrise.
I would definately choose that over Gull Prairie. Some 20 something year old friends of my sister live there and all they do is party. If that is the lifestyle you want to be around, your more then welcome to try it out. Otherwise, try skyrise and you basically get luxury for a little bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan