Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 PM

12 posts, read 18,233 times

Advertisements

I'm a Michigan native who has been living in the Western U.S. for a number of years. When I was a teenager back in the 1980s I would camp out for weeks at a time during the summer in the U.P. for free, on state land and in the National forest; from Lake Superior, down to the Lake Michigan shoreline, over to the straights of Mackinac. Back then the camping was free as long as it was not at a designated campground and you didn't need any special stickers or endorsements to use state land. It's been awhile since I've been back to Michigan and I'd like to spend most of the summer traveling the U.P. and tent camping out of my car. Is it still possible to camp for free on public land in the U.P.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
You can camp anywhere on state land that is at least a mile from a campground I believe.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Yes; Do some hunting through Google. There are free campgrounds. They are first come first serve and have pit toilets if anything. most are small - 3-5 sites. Many of the free camp sites are accessible only by boat or a long hike, but there are some that are for car camping. I found two near the bridge one year when we went up for the bridge walk. They are nto the prettiest places and you have to be quick - no reservations. You can also camp along the trail while hiking in many state and national forests/parks. You need a permit.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The term most often used by government entities to refer to primitive camping on non-developed land is dispersed camping.

This is what the Michigan DNR has to say:

Dispersed camping can take place on state-owned land other than state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds or state game area campgrounds. You can camp anywhere on State Forest Property as long as:

the property is not posted "No Camping"
you are more than one mile from a designated State Forest Campground
you follow all State Land Rules
You must also post a Camp Registration Card (PR 4134) at your campsite. See the links below to download and print a Camp Registration Card. The Camp Registration Card may also be available at your local DNR Office.

Source:DNR - Dispersed Camping

Personally I think the Camp Registration Card is a bit of bureaucratic overkill, but I suppose it is to discourage permanent camps (hobo/homeless camps).

Old 12-01-2017, 09:28 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlongrifles View Post
I'm a Michigan native who has been living in the Western U.S. for a number of years. When I was a teenager back in the 1980s I would camp out for weeks at a time during the summer in the U.P. for free, on state land and in the National forest; from Lake Superior, down to the Lake Michigan shoreline, over to the straights of Mackinac. Back then the camping was free as long as it was not at a designated campground and you didn't need any special stickers or endorsements to use state land. It's been awhile since I've been back to Michigan and I'd like to spend most of the summer traveling the U.P. and tent camping out of my car. Is it still possible to camp for free on public land in the U.P.?
Get this book "Free and Low Cost Campgrounds".

Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 AM

Thank you for the information.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,229 times
Yes, the exact same conditions as you remember from the 80s are still (and hopefully always will be) in effect; on state and national forests so long as not right near established campgrounds, etc. or on the shore of the great lakes.

I did this for six months this summer, camping here and there all across the UP (including some time on my own land), to save money and see some of my state that I'd been away from for too long! From Irnwood to the Soo to the Keweenaw to Menominee County! You can get maps or atlases that show which lands are USFS and State Forests, or get pdf vestions on their websites. For USFS land, the National Forest 'Forest Visitor maps' (FVM), available at their ranger offices, are excellent, and show all roads and FS ownership. They were $10 but are about to go up to, I think, ~$15. They're on almost indestructable plastic paper.

See the detailed rules on how long you're allowed to stay at one site, limitations (none unreasonable), etc. on the National Forest and MI DNR websites. It's a great thing, and some states don't allow this same level of camping freedom on state forests (National Forests are the same rules nationwide).

The regular campgrounds (with tables, etc.) all all in teh (this thing needs a spellcheck) $12-17 range now and as far as I'm concerned, too crowded and overdeveloped (hand pumps and outhouses being replaced with water faucets & flush loos). Plus they tend to be crowded with motorhomes & trailers with generators, satellite dishes. etc. and are mostly run now by contract companies (who have 'volunteer' [=unpaid] staff living onsite). AND apparently you're supposed to buy some sort of vehicle pass to even have drive through them (which I ignored when going there for water!). That may appeal to some, but it's also possible to park a trailer on a nice backwoods spot for 2 or 3 weeks and have real peace (I see this now and then) - better yet, use a tent and hear the whippoorwills!

Last edited by hujev; 12-05-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Excellent information, Hujev. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I plan on taking a tent for mobility. I haven't been to Michigan for a while and I want to see as much as I can.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Apply everything above to National Forest Service land as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: