Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a tiered system from state to state as much as it's tiered regionally by district.

You think snagging a K-12 gig is tough, try getting a tenure track job at the university level. You have to be prepared to move anywhere to any school or attempt to climb the ladder locally, which is more difficult than trying to break into a K-12 system as you attempted. Most people who attempt the latter are relegated to second-class status for their entire careers. There are rarely any benefits and you get paid per class, which usually amounts to $2000-3000 per class. I know people who teach at Oakland, Wayne State, and Macomb CC, cobbling together enough classes to make $20k-30k/year with no benefits (and high parking/gas costs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM

293 posts, read 849,959 times
Where are these MI teachers making $100K a year? I know several teachers in this state and none of them make even close to that much. Granted, they are by no means poorly paid - they still make around $60K, which is a very good wage indeed. (In fact, I would go so far as to say that's part of the problem with this state - you have people in a few professions, teaching and UAW workers in particular, earning SO MUCH more than anyone else with comparable levels of education in other fields within this state, or in the exact same jobs in other states, that it creates a very stratified labor pool and creates this bitter "us vs. them" mentality in those not doing as well.)

Yes, MI teachers are paid very well and I hate when I've heard a few teachers complain about their low pay. But considering that most of them making $60K have masters degrees and several years of experience, I don't consider that an unreasonably high rate of pay for someone with their credentials. And this "$100K a year MI teacher" seems to be about as much of a myth as the Cadillac-driving welfare queen.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
I think the $100k salary's been overblown by a earlier comment about senior teachers making close to that amount. Nevertheless, Birmingham school district (and I'm sure Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield, Forest Hills, East Grand Rapids) have senior teachers making some serious coin with unsurpassed benefits.

No, teachers making $60k+ is not unreasonably high, but the fact remains that most states do not pay even this well for experienced teachers with masters degrees. So it's slightly misleading to think that teaching in places like North Carolina and Arizona is better for everyone. It's better if it's your only job offer, but if you can snag a job in a half-decent district in MI, you'll almost certainly be compensated better and have a better chance at affording a decent house in a safe neighborhood near your school.

The big IF though is getting that coveted job in MI, isn't it? Senior teachers, especially those in better districts, have very little reason to retire and the steady population does not warrant more positions. Birmingham offered a $50k golden parachute to those at the top of the pay scale to retire and the vast majority did not take it. Why would they? Teaching isn't particularly arduous, especially when you have privileged students and you've been doing it for over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan