Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM

85 posts, read 332,967 times

Advertisements

In June, I will be traveling to the Detroit area for a wedding. I will be arriving on a Thursday afternoon, and the wedding is on Saturday. Does anyone have suggestions on places to see and things to do? Looking online, I see that Greektown is a popular place. Would it be worth checking it out on one of the evenings that I am there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,318 times
crannbrook museum in bloomfield. its right off of woodward avenue. one of the greatest museums i have seen. also try greenfield village/henry ford museum in dearborn. if your into museums, detroit is a fabulous place.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
Where in the metro will you be based?

Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM

92 posts, read 367,102 times
Default Things to do

Yes Greektown is worth visiting, so is the Detroit Art. on Woodward, the Detroit zoo is good if you have kids, or not it is still cool. I love the zoo. If you like sports Comerica park and the Tigers are good. The Fisher always has something good playing, as does the Fox.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,031 times
echoing Cato's question, where you want to go really kind of depends on where you'll be staying. If you're staying near downtown (which is kind of rare) then your options are wide open. If you're staying any of the 'burbs, though, it'd help to know which one so you don't end up spending your whole trip here driving our ...cough... lovely... cough cough ... roadways.

Even if you are in the 'burbs, downtown (and therefore greektown...) will always be a viable option...

Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 PM

85 posts, read 332,967 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsection View Post
echoing Cato's question, where you want to go really kind of depends on where you'll be staying. If you're staying near downtown (which is kind of rare) then your options are wide open. If you're staying any of the 'burbs, though, it'd help to know which one so you don't end up spending your whole trip here driving our ...cough... lovely... cough cough ... roadways.

Even if you are in the 'burbs, downtown (and therefore greektown...) will always be a viable option...
I will be staying in Livonia.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
Livonia is pretty much a bedroom community...a good 40 minutes I'd say from downtown and greektown. If you don't mind that then have fun!

If you like shopping there are nice stores in the small mall, Laurel Park Place in Livonia on 6 Mile. And there is quite literally every restaurant you'd ever want to visit along Haggerty from about 6 Mile to 8 Mile.

And yeah if you like old buildings and/or old cars, home appliances, transportation, etc then a visit to Dearborn is in order for the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. The Henry Ford: America's Greatest History Attraction Not too far from Livonia. ( I live near GFV and travel to Livonia regularly.)

And subsection, if people can get past the rough nature of our roads, the mile road system with feeder avenues like Woodward, Gratiot, Michigan, is arguably one of the best systems ever devised! Very driver friendly.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
The biggest attraction closest to you will likely be the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. It really is a must-see for a visitor - amazing collection with items such as JFK's Lincoln convertible, Rosa Park's bus, one of six Bugati Royales ever made, etc. You can easily spend a full day at the museum and Greenfield Village.

Most of the other worthwhile things convenient to you will be around downtown (Greektown, Pewabic factory, Comerica Park, RenCen, Fox Theatre, Belle Isle, etc.) or midtown (DIA, Motown, Historical Museum, Fisher Building, etc.). Windsor, ON is across the river from downtown if you want to grab some good food and a nice view.

On the opposite side of Livonia is Ann Arbor if you want to get your college-scene fix. For a quieter stroll, a good place nearby is downtown Plymouth.

Finally, and just about the least convenient, are attractions in the north burbs. If you have time, it might be worthwhile to spend a day or two there. Besides Cranbrook, a great place to visit is Meadowbrook Hall (the old Dodge mansion) in Rochester. The Detroit Zoo is nice, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see like the San Diego Zoo. The most famous golf course in MI is arguably Oakland Hills Country Club, but I have no idea whether someone can stroll in without membership.

If you tell us what floats your boat (shopping, architecture, outlet malls, country roads, food, etc.), we can be more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan