Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

So I was looking at this map the other day. It list the most common languages in each state besides English and Spanish.

The Most Commonly Spoken Language in Each State Besides English and Spanish | Mental Floss

I found it interesting that Michigan is listed as Arabic. I was aware of the East Dearborn community, but I would think for Arabic to be the 3rd most common language in the state there most be other strong Arab communities right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
There are pockets of Arabs here and there, often in places like Ann Arbor, as well as a small but noteworthy Bosnian Muslim population in the Grand Rapids area.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
There is a large Chaldean community too. The largest population outside Iraq is in Macomb and St Clare counties. Technically they aren't Arabs - IIRC the Catholic church calls them Assyrian. Lots speak Arabic, but some speak Aramaic.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
The specific cities in the Detroit area in which you will find large amount of Arabs:

Detroit (southwest side and far westside only) and Dearborn Heights - these communities are adjacent to East Dearborn and are experiencing "spillover" of the Arab population.

Hamtramck - most of the Arabs in this small community are from Yemen and Iraq

Sterling Heights in Macomb County

Concerning the Chaldean/Assyrian population, the following communities in the Detroit Area have large populations: The West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills/Commerce Township area of Oakland County, Dearborn Heights in Wayne County, and Sterling Heights & Warren in Macomb County. There are good-sized populations in the super wealthy cities of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
The specific cities in the Detroit area in which you will find large amount of Arabs:

Detroit (southwest side and far westside only) and Dearborn Heights - these communities are adjacent to East Dearborn and are experiencing "spillover" of the Arab population.

Hamtramck - most of the Arabs in this small community are from Yemen and Iraq

Sterling Heights in Macomb County

Concerning the Chaldean/Assyrian population, the following communities in the Detroit Area have large populations: The West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills/Commerce Township area of Oakland County, Dearborn Heights in Wayne County, and Sterling Heights & Warren in Macomb County. There are good-sized populations in the super wealthy cities of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills.
I'll add Troy.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM

202 posts, read 250,761 times
Chaldeans are NOT Arabic. a friend of mine is Assyrian and he regularly corrects me. Chaldeans are an offshoot of assyrians, with limited difference between the 2. They are christians and have a different language. They consider "Arabic" to be specifically Islamic.
Muslims are now spreading out from Dearborn. Warren, Madison Heights, Sterling Heights, Southfield,Farmington Hills and Canton all have at least one Mosque or community center. Theres an old office building at 10 Mile and Lahser that is now a community center, an actual mosque with minarets on 10 mile in Farmington Hills, another small building used as a community center on Dequindre near 11 Mile, etc. So, obviously, there are large enough communities there to make those centers feasable.
Sterling Heights and Troy have large chaldean and Assyrian populations, with Islamic residents moving in quickly as well. West Bloomfield has a lot of wealthy Chaldeans. Many of the liquor store owners live there. Hamtramck has large Muslims populations from Bangladesh and Yemen.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Chaldeans are NOT Arabic. a friend of mine is Assyrian and he regularly corrects me. Chaldeans are an offshoot of assyrians, with limited difference between the 2. They are christians and have a different language. They consider "Arabic" to be specifically Islamic.
Muslims are now spreading out from Dearborn. Warren, Madison Heights, Sterling Heights, Southfield,Farmington Hills and Canton all have at least one Mosque or community center. Theres an old office building at 10 Mile and Lahser that is now a community center, an actual mosque with minarets on 10 mile in Farmington Hills, another small building used as a community center on Dequindre near 11 Mile, etc. So, obviously, there are large enough communities there to make those centers feasable.
Sterling Heights and Troy have large chaldean and Assyrian populations, with Islamic residents moving in quickly as well. West Bloomfield has a lot of wealthy Chaldeans. Many of the liquor store owners live there. Hamtramck has large Muslims populations from Bangladesh and Yemen.

This is the strangest thing I have read. Arabic is a language and Islamic is a religion. Those two are not linked what so ever. I know plenty of Arabic Christian and plenty of non-Arabic Muslim. Majority of the mosque you mentioned do not speak Arabic. Some use English and others like the once in Hamtramck use Bangali/Bosnian language, Canton one uses Urdu

Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
This is the strangest thing I have read. Arabic is a language and Islamic is a religion. Those two are not linked what so ever. I know plenty of Arabic Christian and plenty of non-Arabic Muslim. Majority of the mosque you mentioned do not speak Arabic. Some use English and others like the once in Hamtramck use Bangali/Bosnian language, Canton one uses Urdu
Arabic is also a geographic descriptor.

Historically it referred to everyone who lived on the Arabian peninsula and up to Assyria and Sinai.

Technically it refers to the people of the Arab League today. That's 22 countries and 430 million people, ranging from North Africa to Syria, Iraq, and Somalia. Chaldeans come from Northern Iraq, part of the Arab League.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan