Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 739,940 times

Advertisements

If you wanted to look at Marquette, we could fill the bill. One thing--you said your disability is related to PTSD. Do fireworks bother you? Because they are legal here, and that means on Saturday nights my idiot neighbors will be setting some off. Just be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 PM

2,521 posts, read 3,065,413 times
Don't overlook Grand Rapids; particularly the neighborhoods of Eastown, East Hills, and Cherry Hill. You will be right at home.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,687,451 times
While the core of Grand Rapids is pretty population-dense, you can venture out to exburbs like Sparta or Lowell or Middleville and find more space at reasonable prices

Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 PM

138 posts, read 154,106 times
I guess I don't quite understand why you chose Michigan if you want to escape MAGA. Georgia is trending left while Michigan is trending right. In another decade Michigan could be more conservative then Georgia. If you want blue state, Illinois is much bluer. However if you have ties and want to me in Michigan then I understand. If you want a liberal area dominated by African American democrats, then go for Flint or Muskegon. If you prefer white progressives then Lansing is good. Kalamazoo and yspilanti are more mixed.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

915 posts, read 1,494,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDip View Post
Wow, thank you SO much for this comment. You somehow dug right to the heart of our concerns. We not only live in Georgia, but we are in a small mountain town in the north, so to call the culture here conservative would be an understatement. I have never had a problem discussing politics with folks to the right of me, but there seem to be an awful lot of folks who have moved to a very ugly place in their ideology, and I would just rather my kids didn't have to be any more exposed to that than they need to. I'll leave it at that.

Yeah.....a lot of people have gotten ugly. My husband has family in coastal GA, so we go south once in awhile. Up here, I'm easily the only conservative/libertarian in some of my circles (especially in my age group -under 45).

Down there, (for me) it's a nice break to be in a more conservative area, but it's mostly just visiting family and people we can relax and let our guard down with (b/c both the right and the left have just gone nutters).

Admittedly, it is different to visit than it is to live somewhere.

In my neighborhood, nobody put up political signs in 2016 (outside of local stuff) b/c everyone just wanted to keep being neighborly and nice and not have things "get weird". I live in 70% Republican area (for a reason!), but the fact of the matter is that as more people move into the area (it's rural) it will get more Democratic (as it becomes more suburban).

Again, just being realistic about the population changes that are going on in my county and the fact that the people who are moving out here want more "city life" than "rural life" (or else they wouldn't be looking to move into a subdivision on one of the former farms in the area.)

Oakland County used to be solid Red. It's just not anymore. Someday we will have a Democratic County Executive. That's just being real about who lives here and who's moving here.

The reason why it's "trending red" is because a lot of old people live here b/c the young adults don't want to move home when they leave college. But that's really not taking into account that a lot of the young adults will move back and immigration into the area.

So, again, I don't buy the BS line about how Michigan is trending red and "all hope for civilization" is lost.

Knowing people in my generation - we are more liberal than our parents and the 20-30 somethings are more liberal than us. So.....I'm really not banking on a "red revolution" anytime soon.

Portage is a nice area. That would be a nice place to end up. (I grew up around the Kalamazoo area and it's a nice area.....just a bit too small for me.) But you've got Western and K-College in the area and there are always speakers and plays and sports going on.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 AM

8 posts, read 7,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
The reason why it's "trending red" is because a lot of old people live here b/c the young adults don't want to move home when they leave college. But that's really not taking into account that a lot of the young adults will move back and immigration into the area.
Nice thought. I am from Bay County and have had so many acquaintances move to metro Detroit. They are generally the more educated people as well. This is definitely a factor in some areas getting redder.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 PM

138 posts, read 154,106 times
Trending red and becoming more left/liberal are two different things. Michigan is trending red because its becoming more conservative relative to the country. Its becoming more left wing like the whole country, just not as fast as other places.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:58 PM

510 posts, read 713,291 times
Lansing/East Lansing is pretty nice. Even though Grand Rapids area has a reputation as being conservative there is a lot more diversity than before and it is a great area. West Michigan people are very friendly.

Not big on Genesee County myself. I'm from the Midland area which has a lot of educated people (so pretty split politically).

Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,055,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDip View Post
We are looking to buy, hopefully. Something in the $200,000 - $215,000 range. 4 beds with at least some sort of buffer between us and the neighbors. My disability has to do with PTSD, etc, and we'd like to avoid sharing a foxhole with our neighbors, so to speak.
With that price range and if you're considering the Lansing-East Lansing area, you'd probably be able to get a place even in Okemos or Haslett for that price. I think most of the houses in that price range would be 3 bedrooms, but I saw a few 4 bedrooms. Both communities are definitely more liberal than not, but still also quite suburban.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,645,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
I guess I don't quite understand why you chose Michigan if you want to escape MAGA. Georgia is trending left while Michigan is trending right. In another decade Michigan could be more conservative then Georgia. If you want blue state, Illinois is much bluer. However if you have ties and want to me in Michigan then I understand. If you want a liberal area dominated by African American democrats, then go for Flint or Muskegon. If you prefer white progressives then Lansing is good. Kalamazoo and yspilanti are more mixed.

I agree with this. Michigan only leans blue due to labor interest, unions and family union traditions ( a person might not be part of a union but their parents were and therefore that person might lean democrat out of family tradition). If you take away the heavy union history then Michigan is definitely a red state. You have to look where people lean on certain issues and I would bet people in Michigan and Georgia agree on a lot of things that are red.

One of the things that i did not like about Michigan was the attitude of "suburban people", which was very southern like in many ways....and they did not even realize it....and probably still don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan