Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:31 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,878,317 times

Advertisements

Coming from urban California , I think one would be bored with Paw Paw. Its very rural , to the extreme, as is most all of Van Buren County. really in the " sticks " , as some would say. I tried the area for 5 years , and , grew to dislike it. I was only 12 miles from South Haven , but , it seemed like many miles , not even a Starbucks.........until you drove 30 miles to the Kzoo.......... and , that was a bit far for a cup of coffee.
Throw in all the trailer homes , the trash in the ditches , the lack of interesting places to eat , all the workers were missing their front teeth , the meth labs around most rural corners, cell phone service was marginal , and summer homes were always getting broken into for drug money , well , you get the picture.... however , the County did have great blueberries , the best. If you are into rural truck farming endeavors, migrant workers without English or drivers licenses , or insurance , then , go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,187,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Coming from urban California , I think one would be bored with Paw Paw. Its very rural , to the extreme, as is most all of Van Buren County. really in the " sticks " , as some would say. I tried the area for 5 years , and , grew to dislike it. I was only 12 miles from South Haven , but , it seemed like many miles , not even a Starbucks.........until you drove 30 miles to the Kzoo.......... and , that was a bit far for a cup of coffee.
Throw in all the trailer homes , the trash in the ditches , the lack of interesting places to eat , all the workers were missing their front teeth , the meth labs around most rural corners, cell phone service was marginal , and summer homes were always getting broken into for drug money , well , you get the picture.... however , the County did have great blueberries , the best. If you are into rural truck farming endeavors, migrant workers without English or drivers licenses , or insurance , then , go for it.
I think you might have been to far west into Van Buren County, I wouldn't care to live any further out than Paw Paw. I've passed through some of the towns out that way and it is boring and I've heard aabout the dope problem. It's only a matter of time before a Starbucks or something similiar opens up out here. We just got a new Walgreens and Sears outlet is in the works.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I think you might have been to far west into Van Buren County, I wouldn't care to live any further out than Paw Paw. I've passed through some of the towns out that way and it is boring and I've heard aabout the dope problem. It's only a matter of time before a Starbucks or something similiar opens up out here. We just got a new Walgreens and Sears outlet is in the works.
Yes , you may be right. Paw Paw is the county seat however....... They even closed the drivers license office in South Haven.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,355,194 times
Van Buren County is nice. I would love to live in South Haven, but it's way too expensive and too tourist-filled in the summer. Paw Paw's nice, but a little too suburban for my tastes. Mattawan is basically a suburb of Kzoo. Overall, I'm more of a Michiana (St.Joseph/Cass/Berrien counties) fan.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM

259 posts, read 820,207 times
Quote:
I think your view is a little off, but thats your opinion. Living in Mattawan, right next to Paw Paw, I go there often. Its a nice place, yes it does have its share of "hillbilly" people. But I can see where if your coming from California it may be a shock.

And yes we do have the best blueberries farms!

Mattawan is a very nice place to live. Mattawan schools are excellent. Theres not a lot to do here, you either travel to Kzoo or Portage which is just a short drive on I94 or Red Arrow Highway.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
I think your view is a little off, but thats your opinion. Living in Mattawan, right next to Paw Paw, I go there often. Its a nice place, yes it does have its share of "hillbilly" people. But I can see where if your coming from California it may be a shock.

And yes we do have the best blueberries farms!

Mattawan is a very nice place to live. Mattawan schools are excellent. Theres not a lot to do here, you either travel to Kzoo or Portage which is just a short drive on I94 or Red Arrow Highway.
Mattawan.......isn't that grape juice and pickles ? , or , is it something else along those lines of produce......big packer there I know, and , sod farms.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Van Buren County is nice. I would love to live in South Haven, but it's way too expensive and too tourist-filled in the summer. Paw Paw's nice, but a little too suburban for my tastes. Mattawan is basically a suburb of Kzoo. Overall, I'm more of a Michiana (St.Joseph/Cass/Berrien counties) fan.
When I moved to the area 6 years ago now , I was looking for a spot on the Big Lake , but soon found out it was out of my budget , so I settles for an inland"puddle ", as the north side Chicago summer set calls them little lakes in farm country............ I am not sure Barrien would have been any better. My first choice was Lake Geneva, Wi area , but , you got the most bang for the buck in SW Mi., and lower taxes..........maybe had I waited out the search and find for Cheese land affordable , I would still be there?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,355,194 times
Quote:
When I moved to the area 6 years ago now , I was looking for a spot on the Big Lake , but soon found out it was out of my budget , so I settles for an inland"puddle ", as the north side Chicago summer set calls them little lakes in farm country............ I am not sure Barrien would have been any better. My first choice was Lake Geneva, Wi area , but , you got the most bang for the buck in SW Mi., and lower taxes..........maybe had I waited out the search and find for Cheese land affordable , I would still be there?
Wisconsin?!?!?! Surely you must be joking!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Wisconsin?!?!?! Surely you must be joking!
No , but , finally settling down in the UP , where I wanted to be all along WAS worth the wait.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,298 times
The town of kalamazoo now has the Kalamazoo Promise. Free College for those who live and go to school in the Kalamazoo school district. prorated for the kids that have not went to school there since kindergarden. Check out the details online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan