Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Right now is a good time to check Cabelas online as well for winter deals. My boys swear by their "4-Changer" jackets. Have kept them warm all winter and no complaints. Stay away from the Columbia kids outerwear because they make a better tv ad than they do warm jackets. Had a couple to start the season and the boys FROZE in them the first time it was cold outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM

33 posts, read 89,488 times
Default Great Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Right now is a good time to check Cabelas online as well for winter deals. My boys swear by their "4-Changer" jackets. Have kept them warm all winter and no complaints. Stay away from the Columbia kids outerwear because they make a better tv ad than they do warm jackets. Had a couple to start the season and the boys FROZE in them the first time it was cold outside.
I just checked Cabelas online, that is a great resource! Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,687 times
By the way Beth, when this summer are you moving here? And are you going to be visiting to look at homes?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I think the summer is a good time to relocate here. You have time to get adjusted to the different part of the country, without the snow and cold to add to it! It is beautiful up here in the summer.

It helps too, that you have a really good attitude. I did not! However, we didn't have any advance notice. My husband's company offered him the promotion, and he was gone the next week to Michigan. That was Feb. 2007. I stayed in Dallas until school was out for the kids. I needed that much time to get used to the fact that we were moving so far away.

Another thing to tell you about is the expense of getting "home" when you want to go back and visit. It isn't cheap! For spring break, I took our 2 kids to Dallas, and it was $1200 to fly. Definitely sign up for Northwest and American miles, or if you will be flying into Houston, sign up for Continental. If you haven't already, that is. We also switched credit cards, and got an AA card. We use it like a debit card, for everything, then we pay it off each month. It has really helped us accrue miles. Also, to drive from here to Dallas takes a good 18-20 hours. We did it at Christmas.
My husband just recently changed over to Northwest. We are in the same boat. We will depend on frequent flyer miles to get back to our family. I figure we will go during the summer for a month and my husband can join us sometime in the middle.

I guess I should start researching credit cards for Northwest miles. Hopefully there will be one.

Khfar, Did you spend the night at the half way point on your "Road trip". I'm sure we will do that at least once, just to try it out. Was it a rough? Is the drive scenic?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
By the way Beth, when this summer are you moving here? And are you going to be visiting to look at homes?
We are flying in April 24th to find a home. We will probably move on May 9th. I think will we need to find an extended stay hotel first.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Another great resource for clearance pricing on outdoors gear is Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands We have used that for kids stuff a few times.

It just seems almost criminal to pay full price for kids stuff...they outgrow it as fast as we can buy it.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
For back-up jackets (you know the ones Outside in the snow, come in to get a hot chocolate then want to go right back out but their main jacket is wet) we stopped into Sears when they were changing seasons around and picked up some real nice warm jackets for $10 to $15 each that were regular $55 to $90 each. Keep an eye on those places as well. With 4 active boys we are the picture of frugal when it comes to clothing the Ruffians, we want them warm, but we also want to eat. Plus, who usually has a couple grand laying around for jackets and outerwear every season.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you come through Missouri, stop at merrimec caves. It was a Jesse james gang hang out. the tour is great. Your kids will love it. You can camp there if you are camping. It is a long day drive from texas to Merrimec.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeth View Post
My husband just recently changed over to Northwest. We are in the same boat. We will depend on frequent flyer miles to get back to our family. I figure we will go during the summer for a month and my husband can join us sometime in the middle.

I guess I should start researching credit cards for Northwest miles. Hopefully there will be one.

Khfar, Did you spend the night at the half way point on your "Road trip". I'm sure we will do that at least once, just to try it out. Was it a rough? Is the drive scenic?

OMG, yes, we stopped half way! We have two young kids - I can't imagine how awful the full 20 hours would have been if we hadn't stopped!

It actually wasn't too bad, just LONG. The kids were great. I don't think anything is really all that scenic in December in the Midwest, so I can't answer that question. Not to mention that we were driving through a pretty nasty snow storm the first day, so I was on pins and needles the whole time. It's not always a great idea to drive to Texas from Michigan in the winter! I will say, that once we got into Arkansas, I immediately felt "home". I went to college in Arkansas, the weather was warmer and sunny, and it just felt RIGHT to be in the south again. We stopped at one of our favorite BBQ places in Little Rock to eat!

I think I made my first trip here about the same time you are making yours. It was the 3rd weekend in April. Keep the questions coming. We're all happy to help.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 AM

88 posts, read 343,774 times
I guess I can chime in. I've done the drive from Detroit to Dallas twice. It's an easy drive. It took me 18 hrs driving alone. I'm a road warrior

I stopped in Memphis, TN the first time and Little Rock, AR the second time. That is the best way to and from Dallas. From Houston you would prob head east on I-10 towards New Orleans. Pick up I-55 in NO and go north to Memphis. Stop for the night and go east on 40 to Nashville then start heading north from Nashville.

Khfar, not sure about you but my fav state during the trip was def Tennessee. Gorgeous drive across the state. I enjoyed southern Arkansas much more than the northeastern portion. Texas is a lovely state but that eastern portion between Texarkana and Dallas was a snoozefest...except for the crazy ass tornado that blew threw. Now I know what meteorologists mean when they say "Texas sized hail"...LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan