Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:19 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,233,423 times

Advertisements

Well, after having left MI in Feb 2007, the wife and I have all but decided to move back.

We've only spent about a week per year back in the mitten since we left. We were just home over Thanksgiving, though, and we MIGHT come back up for Christmas this year.

We are looking at the above cities currently - budget of sub-$300K if a fixer, maybe mid-$300s if pretty well updated (depending on taxes, some of the EL addresses are insane! $8K+ for a $350K house????). We're definitely after something mid-century modern, 1750-2250 sq/ft, 3/2 or 4/2 with a basement and a two car garage.

We're aware of Whitehills, Hiawatha, Indian Hills, Walnut Hills, plus a couple of neighborhoods over on the west side in Delta Township and the neighborhoods on either side of the Lansing Country Club.

Any areas of relatively high concentration of mid-mod homes we're missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:59 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,913,259 times
Check out Haslett~few and far between (for mid-century mod) but they can be had. Your price range is fine. Haslett and Okemos fall under Meridian Township tax structure, so slightly less than East Lansing and school systems are very good. You may even find something in Williamston, Holt or Mason, but you'll be further away from the "suburbia" of East Lansing/Okemos/Lansing. A good realtor will be able to guide/steer you to your architectural desire. PM me if you'd like the name of someone to start sending you homes in the area.

Sticker shock will come with your auto insurance premiums~

Old 11-28-2018, 05:19 PM

513 posts, read 493,898 times
There's some nice midcentury homes in the Glencairn neighborhood in East Lansing, sprinkled amongst the older homes.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
There's some nice midcentury homes in the Glencairn neighborhood in East Lansing, sprinkled amongst the older homes.

Appreciate the tip! Seattle is a long way from mid-Michigan, Jake. Transplant?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM

513 posts, read 493,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Appreciate the tip! Seattle is a long way from mid-Michigan, Jake. Transplant?
Grew up in mid-Michigan and still have family there. Lived in the Glencairn neighborhood for a bit post-college.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Grew up in mid-Michigan and still have family there. Lived in the Glencairn neighborhood for a bit post-college.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Well, we are scheduled to close on the sale of our home in Charlotte (NC) on the 18th of Jan - so the hunt is officially on!

We will keep this thread updated with our progress, in case anyone is interested. We've found neat little pockets all over the area, now just waiting for something really cool to hit the market.

Thanks to Jake for the Glencairn suggestion - what a cool neighborhood! Gay St. in Groesbeck has a TON of little MCM homes, but when I say little, I mean little - like 1000-1300 sq ft. Might be a tad too small even for our downsizing intent.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,177 times
Thanks for this post. I am in relatively the same position, except i have never lived in Michigan. Only there for work visits and now considering relocating. I appreciate any updates.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Noire View Post
Thanks for this post. I am in relatively the same position, except i have never lived in Michigan. Only there for work visits and now considering relocating. I appreciate any updates.

Well, we're in a much different situation - having spent my whole life in the Lansing area up until 2007. Also, we don't have kids, so school districts aren't a concern for us.

The guy in your other thread that suggested Okemos is probably right - that's the direction we're leaning, too, but for different reasons than schools (EL taxes are significantly higher).

Don't expect Okemos (or any Lansing 'burb) to be Naperville and you'll be fine. The Lansing metro is fantastically smaller than the Chicago metro, obviously. You're not going to have all of the things you had - and the thing you do still have, you won't have in the same quantity.

Say "hey" once you get settled. There's a lot to like about mid-Michigan, honestly.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 PM

The market has been pretty slim pickings thus far. There is one that just got listed that is a possible - but in a less than ideal neighborhood. The house will have to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan