Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM

367 posts, read 424,019 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around various UP maps and see that there're several industrialized centers like Marquette, Escanaba, etc.
At the same time, I find info on things like proposed refinery (or even multiple) in Gwinn, and existing
pipeline South, past spill in Hiawatha National Forest. Then there's some past/present mining.

Underneath most of the UP, there seems to be gas shale basin and there're some (few for now) wells. There's current fracking boom in many places outside UP and I've seen info that most UP officials support fracking.

Do you think fracking will happen in the UP? If yes, where it'd likely happen and where not, are there counties that would not welcome it?

In general, are there very clean areas/counties, where one doesn't need to worry about water (or air) quality, now or going by proposed development (mining, refineries, biomass plants, etc)?

I'd seek rural property out-of-town (the further away the better), if I move, so I can be away from stuff like refineries, but with fracking, they can come to you wherever you are, or, a spill can pollute water sources in the whole are. Looking for a clean county/area with focus on recreation, tourism as opposed to industrial/gas development...if such exists.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-08-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 05:09 PM

367 posts, read 424,019 times
I found some info on fracking: in MI, counties or townships have no control over this, only the State/DEQ, which issues drilling permits. Township can issue some ordinance, like noise or environmental health, but most townships wouldn't have financial resources to enforce them against drilling companies, as this requires very expensive legal action. So, it really doesn't matter what the county plans are. Then, there's compulsory pooling of mineral rights. Seems like the safest bet is to be out of the shale basin (NW UP isn't on it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan