Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM

305 posts, read 241,429 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on lake county Mich. I am visiting there in the spring and I am looking for a good place to do some future camping. (Not on this trip) I read where it is a very rural county, I like that. I do not need or want any services from my local government. Maybe the fire department if needed but that would be it.

I am thinking a few acres in the woods to do some summer camping on would be great. I do not plan on living in Michigan year round. I just want somewhere to go in the summer months and do some fishing and camping.

Maybe someone could recommend another good rural county for summer camping and fishing, that would be awesome also. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:43 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
No government except maybe a fire department, eh
? What are you doing, starting a meth lab?

Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM

No meth lab, just an old grumpy retired man looking to get a small place in the country to go camping and fishing. I found the more rural an area is the cheaper the land is. All I am going to do is camp on it so cheaper the better. Near some lakes even better. Which should be easy to do in Michigan.

It is way too hot where I live now in the summer, so I want to summer somewhere else.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
No meth lab, just an old grumpy retired man looking to get a small place in the country to go camping and fishing. I found the more rural an area is the cheaper the land is. All I am going to do is camp on it so cheaper the better. Near some lakes even better. Which should be easy to do in Michigan.

It is way too hot where I live now in the summer, so I want to summer somewhere else.
Northwestern U.P. might fit the bill, especially Baraga, Houghton, Keewana, and western Marquette counties. The towns of Houghton and Hancock (across the river from each other) offer quite a bit for towns their size - two universities, lots of shopping, a Level 3 Trauma Center, a few nice restaurants, plus lots more, in case you need to pick up supplies or want a bit of civilization. Other than that, there's lots of nice scenery and fishing and inexpensive land up that way.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Your gonna want a lot of government services once it starts snowing

Half of Lake county is national forest. Baldwin is the biggest town, at 1200 people. But Cadillac is close and Big Rapids are the other way, you'd have to go to one of those two towns for ANYTHING - there's a hardware store, a dollar store, a boat store, and a car parts store in Baldwin and nothing else.
Both Cadillac and Big Rapids have everything else you would need, 10,000 people live in each and Ferris State is in Big Rapids. Cadillac has a John Deere dealership and other heavy/farm equipment.

As you go east and west of Lake County it's farmland, but Lake ct is woods.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM

By the time it is snowing I will be back at my place down south. I am just looking for a summer hangout, I think I will look at the U.P. Although Lake county is looking nice. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I really don't know but looking on a map I'd say nothing wrong with Lake county for a summer camp place other than lack of amenities. Cadillac is going to be your closest "big town" which is around 10,000. I'm sure pop increases in the summer.

Depends on where you are coming from and whether you are driving etc. If you are coming from Georgia its good. Huron Mannistee forest enough Fishing etc. Its 2 hours just to the bridge from Cadillac. Now if you are driving from Arkansas then the Western UP would be awesome.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,679 times
Have you ever been there?Anywhere you would want to buy/stay,is owned by the govt or very expensive.East of Baldwin/M37,lot of cheap lots and private land, there IS a reason- lock up everything you own ,including your family after dark.Go down by Big Star Lake ,probably find something there,but you will pay more.Remember, with remote property,you can't leave anything there,it won't be there or any good[bullet holes]when you come back.
When you get there and everything is gone,just stop at one of the hundreds of yard sales,and you can buy it all back!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravygrabber View Post
Have you ever been there?Anywhere you would want to buy/stay,is owned by the govt or very expensive.East of Baldwin/M37,lot of cheap lots and private land, there IS a reason- lock up everything you own ,including your family after dark.Go down by Big Star Lake ,probably find something there,but you will pay more.Remember, with remote property,you can't leave anything there,it won't be there or any good[bullet holes]when you come back.
When you get there and everything is gone,just stop at one of the hundreds of yard sales,and you can buy it all back!
Are you saying there is a lot of thievery up there. If so, who is committing these crimes??

Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Are you saying there is a lot of thievery up there. If so, who is committing these crimes??

Look at that posters name, and you'll have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan