Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times

Advertisements

Where are the best beaches/beach towns on Lake Michigan and when would it be warm enough to visit these places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 19,939 times
Ludington has an amazing beach downtown, and miles of shoreline by the beautiful State Park. July and August are usually the best weather months.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue2 View Post
Ludington has an amazing beach downtown, and miles of shoreline by the beautiful State Park. July and August are usually the best weather months.

Hey, don't give up all our secrets!

You are 100% correct though. I love the beaches around Ludington (might be a bit prejudiced though, growing up there). First Curve area on a bright 80 degree summer day is a bit of heaven on Earth.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,191 times
Stop in Charlevoix in late June, early July..........or for one of the festivals along the shores

Last edited by Michigansnowflake; 04-13-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: still cant spell

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,733 times
The weather is warm enough for the beach in June-August.
The water really isn't warm enough for swimming until mid-July though.

I think Ludington State Park has won "Best Beach" in a few recent contests. Personally, I agree that it's the best beach.

When it comes to beach towns I personally prefer Grand Haven. You can walk to the beach from downtown. The downtown is bigger than Ludington's as well. South Haven is great too if you're further south.

If you keep going up north, Charlevoix and Petoskey are great towns. Traverse City has a bigger downtown, and a large public beach right downtown on the bay. That's a nice city as well. Just west of there Glen Arbor has beach nearby at Good Harbor and Glen Haven. The town (Glen Arbor) is cute, and has a great resort (Homestead) nearby depending on if that's your kind of travel.

Truthfully, and I mean this sincerely, the best way to see the lakeshore towns is to take a week in August, and hit them all. Most can be "seen" in an hour or two, and whenever you come to one that warrants further exploration, get a room and stay over.

Have a great trip!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM

102 posts, read 338,308 times
Oval Beach in Saugatuck is also very nice. Nice little town to do fun shopping in and try the Butler for lunch for dinner.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 AM

81 posts, read 303,174 times
East Tawas has beautiful beaches.. especially out on Tawas Point where the state park is... we were able to dip our toes in as early as Memorial Day last year (I thought my kids were nuts, but the water in the shallows was not too bad!) but things are definitely warm enough to swim in during July and August.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengineman's wife View Post
East Tawas has beautiful beaches.. especially out on Tawas Point where the state park is... we were able to dip our toes in as early as Memorial Day last year (I thought my kids were nuts, but the water in the shallows was not too bad!) but things are definitely warm enough to swim in during July and August.
The question was about Lake Michigan beaches, however.
Tawas is on Lake Huron.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,279 times
Holland State Park (Ottawa Beach) any time after July 1 when the water MAY be warm.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM

218 posts, read 507,789 times
Default SW Michigan

The main two here are South Haven and St. Joesph.

South Haven has two beaches North and South. And 2 great piers to walk out on. Parking can be a challenge though.
As far as the weather.....if you want to swim in the lake, you're going to have to wait until mid to late June for the water temp to get above 60 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan