Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
It's easy to be negative in a state where the sun barely shines (except in the 2 month long super humid summers where everyone hides indoors) and has 7 month long freezing horrible winters. Combine that with almost no interesting culture or scenery or decent food, and you've got a state where 1 out of 5 are moving each year... far far away. I don't blame them. I've lived in 5 states. This one isn't the worst- but It's certainly not the best.
That's bull, people choose to be negative, it's easy to blame a place instead of looking inside for the problem. I have lived in many states and cities, there is a lot of good here, and it's easy to find. April through November are lovely and filled with sunny days, there are gorgeous trees, forests, and lakes everywhere to swim and boat in. I enjoy the symphony, opera, many wonderful restaurants and theatrical productions as well as the outdoor activities. No one I know stays home in the summer, that's absurd, I see people out having fun all summer long. There are positives and negatives everywhere, I choose to focus on the positive in wherever I live, it's a waste of life not to. The 3-4 months of winters aren't even that bad in SE MI, we don't get the major snow that traps people like the east coast, and it's not as cold as many northern cities.

If a person hates a place, then move, but no one wants to hear ridiculous complaining that has no basis in fact.

Last edited by detshen; 11-10-2010 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
It's easy to be negative in a state where the sun barely shines (except in the 2 month long super humid summers where everyone hides indoors) and has 7 month long freezing horrible winters. Combine that with almost no interesting culture or scenery or decent food, and you've got a state where 1 out of 5 are moving each year... far far away. I don't blame them. I've lived in 5 states. This one isn't the worst- but It's certainly not the best.
Why are you spending your time on these forums if you hate this place so bad? Seems like you would be spending every waking second trying to leave. And where do you get 7 months of winter? Its the Middle of November, and its in the mid 60's! Winter usually dont start in the southern half of the lower until December. Winter is only 3-4 months long...like Bydand says. Detshen is also right...its not the state, its the person. Obviously...you do not like nature because thats what 3/4 of this great state are all about!
And how in the world can you say no interesting scenery??? Either you dont really live here, or you live here and have never traveled anywhere outside your area....wtf??

Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Winter usually dont start
LOL. I love MI. I've been gone years and still haven't overcome our hilarous grammar.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
LOL. I love MI. I've been gone years and still haven't overcome our hilarous grammar.
Think thats funny...you ever watch Jersey Shore??

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Think thats funny...you ever watch Jersey Shore??
LOL. No but I watched My Big Friggin' Wedding and felt at home!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduckmoore View Post
Just curious, is there any city or county that is doing good in Michigan?
Its allover a dead place,but its the best as far as hunting and fishing is concerned.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
1. The weather.
2. Lots of people in this state have cant-do attitudes (myself included).
3. A lot of the jobs here just up and left one day, it seems, and few have appeared to replace them.
That also stranded people in their houses.Now its not a question of selling a house anymore,but when do you start walking away from it.Also people here suck.The weather is horrible,but thats to be expected anywhere in the Midwest.There is no infrastructure as transportation costs are getting ridiculous.This is not a sustainable future for all us.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Its allover a dead place,but its the best as far as hunting and fishing is concerned.
Are you joking? Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Marquette... Pretty much everywhere's doing as well or better than the rest of the country except SE. Seriously - do any of you complainers ever get out of your homes to form an opinion before expressing one?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
That's bull, people choose to be negative, it's easy to blame a place instead of looking inside for the problem. I have lived in many states and cities, there is a lot of good here, and it's easy to find. April through November are lovely and filled with sunny days, there are gorgeous trees, forests, and lakes everywhere to swim and boat in. I enjoy the symphony, opera, many wonderful restaurants and theatrical productions as well as the outdoor activities. No one I know stays home in the summer, that's absurd, I see people out having fun all summer long. There are positives and negatives everywhere, I choose to focus on the positive in wherever I live, it's a waste of life not to. The 3-4 months of winters aren't even that bad in SE MI, we don't get the major snow that traps people like the east coast, and it's not as cold as many northern cities.

If a person hates a place, then move, but no one wants to hear ridiculous complaining that has no basis in fact.
Trees and forests are subjective...one man's forest blocks another's view. Same with water...one man's boating paradise is another's potential flood. I'll agree with the humidity...I can take 95 degree heat, but boy, I fall to pieces when it's humid out. The dreary several month stretch with temperatures somewhere between 35-50 degrees (sometimes the daytime high, sometimes the nighttime low) gets a bit old. If I could unload my place for what I owe on it and if I could transfer in my job without losing a bunch of seniority, I'd cheerfully leave Michigan and never return.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Trees and forests are subjective...one man's forest blocks another's view. Same with water...one man's boating paradise is another's potential flood. I'll agree with the humidity...I can take 95 degree heat, but boy, I fall to pieces when it's humid out. The dreary several month stretch with temperatures somewhere between 35-50 degrees (sometimes the daytime high, sometimes the nighttime low) gets a bit old. If I could unload my place for what I owe on it and if I could transfer in my job without losing a bunch of seniority, I'd cheerfully leave Michigan and never return.
If you want to feel humidity, head south, a MI summer would feel like paradise compared to a southern one. If you hate lakes, how about a hurricane season, sound better? Everyone complains, but they don't seem to realize outside of ridiculously expensive SoCal everywhere you go has weather that someone is complaining about. Overall MI (at least the SE part) isn't even close to the worst I have experienced. Go to Phoenix or Vegas in the summer and see how much comfort the fact the "110" degrees is "dry" gives you as your shoes melt into the blacktop and you can hardly breathe or move because it's so overwhelmingly hot, every single day, compare that to the few days MI get above 90. You are right that people like different things, but many people will find something to complain about no matter where they go, I don't get it, it's a waste of time when you could be out having fun. Wherever you are, if you live in the US you have it better than most people in the world, people should think of that, I bet someone still stuck in a tent worrying about getting cholera after the earthquake in Haiti would love to trade with you.

Last edited by detshen; 11-14-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan