Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 PM
sb9 sb9 started this thread

1 posts, read 585 times

Advertisements

Hello,

May 2016: My mom went through an emergency surgery for colorectal cancer. Got a colostomy bag.
June ~ Oct 2016: Went through Capox Chemo
Dec 2016: Went through Colostomy closure surgery.
Developed Hernia due to the incision.

Doctor says get surgery done and get the mesh.

But, she also consults another lady who specializes in herbal medicine who said that if there is no pain then no need to do surgery.

I feel the same way. There is no guarantee that after the mesh, hernia won't come back.

I have known 2~3 other cases where the people have had hernias for years and didn't do surgery.

I live in a lot of stress because of this. Please advise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 06:59 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Get the surgery, nowadays there's nothing to it and it's fairly easy.

I had two hernias caused by the doctor that did my vasectomy 20 years ago. One developed into a real bad one, and entrapt a piece of bowel. I had that repaired in 2011. I'm now having the other side repaired this coming Tuesday.

Hernias will NEVER heal by themselves. They MUST be repaired eventually, or could cause an entrapment like mine if by the bowel area. In that case, it's a medical emergency, and can cause DEATH very quickly.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Both of my sons had hernia surgery one had the mesh, the other it turned out to be a fatty tumor rather than a hernia (Dr. said it appeared all of his fat was going into that tumor for some reason since he has no fat on his body otherwise).

Anyway, both surgeries went fine, no problems. Son who got the mesh is a serious athlete (nation champion rower) he was able to continue with no problems or recurrence.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Get the surgery, nowadays there's nothing to it and it's fairly easy.

I had two hernias caused by the doctor that did my vasectomy 20 years ago. One developed into a real bad one, and entrapt a piece of bowel. I had that repaired in 2011. I'm now having the other side repaired this coming Tuesday.

Hernias will NEVER heal by themselves. They MUST be repaired eventually, or could cause an entrapment like mine if by the bowel area. In that case, it's a medical emergency, and can cause DEATH very quickly.
They called me in early yesterday 6/25 (7:30am), and surgery was done and I was home by around 12:30pm, though I felt like I've been hit by a truck afterwards. Better now. General esophageal airway tube anesthesia for sleeping and forced breathing (I have sleep apnea, so they weren't taking any chances) So taking it easy now. Turns out the right side had recurrent hernia that I was unaware of, since being fixed years ago. Right in the same place. He fixed that again.

So, I had both right & left sides fixed with laparoscopic surgery and mesh, staples, stiches. I have 3 cuts, 1 on each side, and one inside the belly button. They are glued & steri-stripped. The belly button one also has packing in it, and all 3 are taped over with a square of clear medical tape. Not really much pain, more like aching/bruising type pain. Throat was sore and hoarse yesterday from the airway tube, and there's still a little soreness there, but not much.

MUCH better than the first original open surgery on the right side in 2011, where they basically did a C-section on me, and I'm male!

So if doc's think she needs it, get it done. Not much to it compared to years ago.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My brother had hernia surgery this morning (in Germany) he is going to work tomorrow. Seems like no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan