Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,721 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster... Anyways I was hoping you folks could provide some information regarding a local insurance company. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the name of the company in question. If not, I'm sure the name of the company will be edited.

Anyhow, there's a health insurance broker in the Metro Detroit area, "Health Insurance Giant", that advertises affordable health insurance for individuals and companies. I am interested in purchasing an individual health plan for myself because I cannot afford the company plan at work which is close to $400 a month. I spoke to rep at this company and they provided me with a quote of under $150 a month for full coverage and a reasonable deductable ($1200/annual). The quote was from a local health insurance company based in Southeast Michigan. This sounds like a much better deal but at the same time, too good to be true.

What I would like to know is if anyone had any dealings Health Insurance Giant? If so, would you recommend purchasing insurance through this company? I'm still in the process of searching for insurance that is both affordable and covers what I would need (hospitalization, office visits).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all ,

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM

136 posts, read 482,152 times
Health insurance is very age dependent. Depending on you age, that might not even be a good deal. Company insurance is often a really bad deal for younger workers since they tend to price it for an average age over 50. At 46 I was paying only $126/mo for a Blue Cross Flexible Blue individual plan.
The deductible was a little higher but that's what an insurance plan should be IMO. Insurance should be for the big, unforseen problems. Billing regular office visits through insurance companies is a stupid waste of resources and is part of what's driving up costs.
But enough of the soap box. Check out the BCBSM web site. You can get an accurate price comparison without any strings attached.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,640 times
Becareful of pre existing condition exclusions if moving from group coverage to individual. Particulary with Blue Cross of Michigan. visit joinMyBlue.com to learn about these issues.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
I called them once when I was facing unemployment and the lady I talked to carefully took all my information down. The guy never called back. As it turned out I did land another job before the wolf got to my door. On the other hand I have never heard anything bad about this outfit. On the other other hand, I have never really looked into it.

I would call the Better Business Bureau and see if they have any complaints on file:

BBB of Detroit & Eastern Michigan
WWW: http://easternmichiganbbb.org
Email: info@easternmichiganbbb.org
Phone: (248) 644-9100
Fax: (248) 644-5026
30555 Southfield Road, Ste. 200
Southfield MI 48076-7751
BBB of NW Ohio & SE Michigan
WWW: http://toledo.bbb.org
Email: info@toledobbb.org
Phone: (419) 531-3116
Fax: (419) 578-6001
Integrity Place, 7668 Kings Pointe Rd.
Toledo OH 43617-1551

Another thing to look into is your local Chamber of Commerce or the Michigan Business and Professional Association. Self-employed people can often get group health insurance rates through them. That premium DOES sound too good to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: