Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,122,753 times

Advertisements

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/10/m...-going-on.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,916,867 times
Not surprised.

Most people are delaying having children these days, for a variety of reasons that vary by socio-economic demographic.

I'm in my late-30s, no one I know had kids before their early/mid-30s, and I know many that don't plan to have kids at all.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:32 AM

915 posts, read 1,491,853 times
And a lot of people in that age bracket moved out of state and aren't moving back.

Out my group of college friends, I'm the only one who's still in Michigan. (We went to college here in Michigan.)

Old 10-28-2019, 08:45 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,780,453 times
It's not the economy.

It's just a simple fact of industrialized nations. The richer and more "advanced" a country is, the lower the birth rate. Any family that has lived in one of those countries for a couple generations (I think data shows the first generation) has a birth rate lower than the replacement rate. The ONLY reason Europe, US, Canada, Japan, Australia, NZ, Korea grow is immigration. Korea has a fertility rate of 1.1. Japan has been below replacement since 1974.

Every country in blue below have a fertility rate BELOW replacement. And that includes immigrant families

Old 10-28-2019, 09:20 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,916,867 times
Yep its a combination of broader generational trends, a combination of lower birthrates in industrialized nations, and delayed/deferral of getting married and/or having children.

As said above, we are also seeing the boomerang effect of the peak brain-drain years. The vast number of college grads, and younger educated people in the 2001-2011 ish era is now manifesting itself in fewer people now in their peak childbearing years in the state. Lots of people, now in their 30s, graduated, left the state, and never came back.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:50 PM

8,539 posts, read 12,259,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Michigan's birth rate hits record low
Finally, some good news! World overpopulation is the biggest threat to this planet as all environmental problems are rooted in overpopulation. Now if we can just get those other countries and cultures to increase education levels, provide equal rights to women, provide adequate health care and hope for the future, then perhaps they can reduce their birth rates as well. We need to reduce human population levels if we're ever going to live sustainably on this planet.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,590,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Finally, some good news! World overpopulation is the biggest threat to this planet as all environmental problems are rooted in overpopulation. Now if we can just get those other countries and cultures to increase education levels, provide equal rights to women, provide adequate health care and hope for the future, then perhaps they can reduce their birth rates as well. We need to reduce human population levels if we're ever going to live sustainably on this planet.
How many people total on the planet do you believe is a 'sustainable' level?

Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 AM

59 posts, read 41,246 times
With the exception of Africa! I think we are getting less babies because of the technology and parents working at jobs and they probably don't have the time taking care of their kids. Should we get more babies in America? It would be nice. We have all the land that we can develop.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 PM

4,524 posts, read 4,780,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
How many people total on the planet do you believe is a 'sustainable' level?
About 1000000000

Old 11-17-2019, 01:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's not the economy.

It's just a simple fact of industrialized nations. The richer and more "advanced" a country is, the lower the birth rate. Any family that has lived in one of those countries for a couple generations (I think data shows the first generation) has a birth rate lower than the replacement rate. The ONLY reason Europe, US, Canada, Japan, Australia, NZ, Korea grow is immigration. Korea has a fertility rate of 1.1. Japan has been below replacement since 1974.

Every country in blue below have a fertility rate BELOW replacement. And that includes immigrant families
If you're young, it IS the economy - specifically, the rapidly accelerating cost of housing and stagnant wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan