Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,540 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think we have narrowed it down to living in either of these two communities. I know the shopping is awesome in Utica (lakeside mall, hall road, Partridge Creek mall, etc) but I am not sure what it is like in Troy.
Also, I am not sure how the two communities compare in other ways.
Any contributions would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,766 times
Utica definitely has more of a community feel. There is an older central walkable downtown, lots of neat older houses, along with new. There's the Clinton River flowing through town which is nice. Troy is suburban sprawl. Pretty much all newer subdivisions.

They are really opposites in many a way.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,796 times
Troy is the 12th safest city in the U.S. according to some polls.
[mod]linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod]

I have worked in both areas extensively over the past 10 years. They are both great communities. I prefer Utica because you can still find a more rural setting to live in there. Troy is a more urban environment. Troy does have the somerset collection, so shopping would be slanted toward Troy actually. There is a more diverse selection of stores available in the area. The restaurant selection in Troy is also better.

If memory serves (don't take me at my word, here) Troy schools receive a better overall rating than Utica, though they are extremely close.

Personally, I think your dollar would go further in Utica and you would still be close to everything that you need. If I had to move from my current locale, I would choose Utica.

Last edited by Yac; 04-21-2008 at 01:37 AM..

Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 PM

143 posts, read 460,079 times
In Troy, it depends if you choose the east or west side of town. The west side of town blends seamlessly into Birmingham and Bloomfield. Part of west Troy was actually Birmingham at one time. Though Troy doesn't have a downtown, it is very convenient to Birmingham and Royal Oak, depending on your mood. Rochester's downtown is another option.

On the east side of Troy you'll find a higher concentration of strip malls/local shopping. Like Utica, you have a lot of traffic all the time.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. If "diamondgirl" is any indication, I would suggest the west side of Troy given the proximity to Somerset Collection and Birmingham. Some people get hung up on Oakland vs Macomb county. Troy is in Oakland and Utica is in Macomb.

Everything mentioned above is right on the mark. The only exception would be the schools. Utica is an excellent system, but I think Troy is rated a bit higher.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
If "diamondgirl" is any indication, I would suggest the west side of Troy given the proximity to Somerset Collection and Birmingham.
LOL diamondgirl is from my birthstone...I had never thought of it being interpreted as snobby. That is so far from who I am. But incredibly funny.

I like shopping in Utica....but mostly at Target (my daughter's fav store) and the Disney Store. I assume both cities have these.
The schools look good on both sides, but according to stats Troy is slightly higher. Of course there is more to a school that stats....argh this is complicated. But the more info I can get from people the better....keep it coming please.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM

143 posts, read 460,079 times
Just having fun with it ... I think that the farther west you go in this area (through West Bloomfield), the more likely one would assume a girl with a lot of diamonds. Once you hit Walled Lake, I think it might return to normal.

I know people in both areas. Everyone likes where they live; there are plenty of positives with either choice. Is there anything that would be a deal-breaker (or maker) for you? I think it will really come down to personal nuances.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
Is there anything that would be a deal-breaker (or maker) for you? I think it will really come down to personal nuances.
Excellent point! I will have to give that serious thought.

My husband works in Troy so that would make his commute shorter. He lives in Utica presently, so I know that area slightly better.
The children and I will be moving there this summer, but we need to decide on exactly where so we can pick out the right school. We are used to a much less dense population than the one we are moving to...so we will have to adjust.

I just want a safe, friendly community to raise young children in.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
If you want less dense, why don't you look further up I-75? I don't know that area well, but we have friends who like a more rural setting who are quite happing living in north Oakland County; it thins out pretty fast once you pass Pontiac and there are still good schools up there.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,074 times
Troy is a much nicer community than Utica IMO. The schools are ranked higher, it's diverse and the City of Troy offers great services including a awesome recreation center, good library, clean parks and a vigilant police system.

Troy is also more centrally located and has easier access to Detroit,Wayne County, Western and Southern Oakland County and Macomb County.

The downside is that it is more expensive than Utica. Utica however; is not a bad area by any means. Utica actually offers a lot more shopping options than Troy, and you can get more for your square footage than Troy.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
Ok, I think we have narrowed it down to living in either of these two communities. I know the shopping is awesome in Utica (lakeside mall, hall road, Partridge Creek mall, etc) but I am not sure what it is like in Troy.
Also, I am not sure how the two communities compare in other ways.
Any contributions would be appreciated, thanks.
I've always been confused by Utica/Sterling Heights.

I always thought the Lakeside Mall was in Sterling Heights? Is it actually Utica?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan