Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM

18 posts, read 15,726 times

Advertisements

0.75% and not a far drive? I think that's my ideal location. But I think you are right in that in the end the cost of living should be fairly similar when all is said and done. I hope so anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
City of Saginaw crime map:
https://www.crimemapping.com/map/mi/saginaw

Tittabawasee Twp crime map:
Crimedar Crime Mapping

Supposedly Saginaw Twp has a crime map, but it's totally empty, so probably not updated.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
I'm a native of Michigan who spent 30 years living in the south, including Texas for 10 years. I don't know where you live in Texas currently, but I would advise thinking this move over HARD before you choose to leave such an economically dynamic part of the country to live in a spot like Saginaw. That is NOT an attractive or stable area of Michigan to be in and the long, cold, gloomy winters make it even more depressing. The snow and ice may be a cool novelty that brings back fun memories of childhood at first, but when I went back to Michigan (northern lower) between 2007-14 it ate away at my soul a little more each year until I just had to get out. I enjoyed Texas for a couple more years before I wound up back in the Midwest for another job and am already making plans to go back south permanently this time. I only have a few more Midwestern winters in me before I go completely insane.

All of Michigan is not bad. Detroit is notorious but is actually a really cool, fun town with everything to do. Grand Rapids is a true up and comer and probably the most stable place in the state right now. That area from Flint up to Saginaw is the armpit of the state, though, and you would have to give me the stars and the moon to live there. Even then I probably wouldn't do it. Not trying to burst your bubble, OP, but just warning you since you haven't experienced it like many of us have. If this job is the most important thing to you, then by all means have at it. If it isn't then please do a LOT more research on living in that region because honestly I think you'll end up regretting it big time in the long run.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:18 AM

The job is the most important thing for sure. I'm just hoping to make the best of the situation. The VA is incredibly hard to get into for my profession

Old 01-21-2020, 12:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Some friends of ours live there and operate a food truck (Makin Bacon - awesome food), so they know the area really well, I will try to remember to ask them next time we communicate (or if you visit Saginaw, go to their website/facebook page, find the truck, and go buy a sandwich and ask them (Nick and Barb)).

I can comment to some extent on what to expect in comparison. Our son lives in Austin. My wife's sister, nieces and nephews, grand nieces and nephews and parents also a lot of friends live in the Denton/Dallas areas. We are out there a couple, or three, or four (or six) times a year.

Comparing to North Texas - Denton (Dallas) area.

Far prettier in Michigan. We have trees, and green grass, and water and things that are not Khaki. And snow.

Less densely populated in the populated areas.

Gas, car insurance, and brisket cost more. Housing is cheaper than most areas. Entertainment is cheaper once you buy a kayak.

Fewer nice restaurants and cultural opportunities, except in Detroit, grand Rapids or Ann Arbor.

Quieter slower pace of life.

Not as long of driving distances. You can drive clear across the entire State in 3 hours or less. (If you go way up north, it can be ten hours, that will make you feel more at home).

Harder to break into social circles. People seem less outwardly friendly, but they will literally give you the coat off their back if you are in crises, Michiganders love to help people (not everyone but a significant plurality. Enough that it is noticeable). Be patient, you will make friends eventually.

People tend to be noticeably fatter in general.

The smell of cow dung is rare. We actually get excited on a road trip when we see cows. Someone always yells "COW!" Then everyone else yells it too. The same is true when we see Hay, except everyone yells "Hey" instead of "hay" .

Way more water. Sailing, boating and fishing are huuuge.

Less big hair.

Cowboy hats are rare. Wear a baseball cap. Cow-horns on cars or trucks are virtually unheard of. Those big push bar things are uncommon as well.

Harder to carry a gun. No open alcohol allowed in vehicles. Drunk driving is illegal and we really mean it here.

Canadians.

I am pretty sure there is no restaurant here where you can eat Pizza with bears.

Colder. The cold you get used to, the bigger issue is very little sunshine, especially in winter. Two good solutions there: 1. Whenever the sun does shine, drop whatever you are doing and get outside. It will not shine for long, so you are not going to miss much by taking a short break; 2. take a vacation to somewhere sunny and warm in the worst part of winter when you are really sick of it (typically early February or mid march). Texas is not always the best choice. Someplace guaranteed to be warm and sunny is more reliable. San Diego, Yuma Arizona, maybe Florida). To combat Seasonal affected depression disorder (or whatever the acronym stands for SADD), you can try taking Vitamin D. Not sure if it works. I know those little "Happy Lights" do nothing, but a really huge UV light source can help (huge like as big as a whole wall it takes an immense light source for a long time). Exercise can help too, anything that causes you to produce dopamine. Not everyone gets SADD but if you do it can be really problematic.

In the Saginaw area, you are right adjacent to one of the most beautiful places in the country (Huron-Manistee national forest). Most of it is along the Ausable river, but the lake shore is beautiful in many places as well. A lot of the area is swampy/marshy, but you can spend at least a few years before you run out of places in your immediate area that make you say "Holy Shirt! Look at that!" When you run out after a few years, you can expand to the west side of the state and up north.

For time off you go "up North" and go hunting, camping, hiking, snowmobiling, fishing, canoeing/kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. Up North is within the State - it does not mean Oklahoma.

Even more intense sports fans.

Don't talk about politics. 50% of the people around you will vehemently disagree with you.

No boot Scoot boogie. Not allowed.

Over 40 degrees is shorts weather.

We don't Y'all. Not even when there is more than one person we are talking to. You can still do it though. People will find it charming.

Learn to drive. Also learn to drive in the snow and ice. You can practice in parking lots.

If you are an indoorsy/city/shopping mall type you are likely to be unhappy int he thumb area. Most of the cool/fun stuff to do is outside. I suppose you can always go bowling.

Hold up your right hand palm facing you. You now have a map of your state. Learn to point to the part of the hand where you live. (Right at the base of the thumb and forefinger).

Start saving for a sea kayak. Actually you will need two to four of them so you have some for your friends when they visit.
That is the best way to visit turnip rock.

Detroit and Chicago will be your new play cities. Toronto is not too far off either since you can take a train. Don't sell Detroit short. It has become a really fun city and always was a beautiful city architecturally. There are tons and tons of theaters, concert and sports venues. Lots of great restaurants too. even one of the top five steakhouses in the USA (supposedly - certainly in the top 5 for high prices).

We have Logan's and Texas Roadhouse also Outback to make you feel at home. You will find decent independent steak places all over. Some great barbeque too. Not as much or as great as texas, but you can find decent options. It takes a bit of hunting but they are there.

When you go "up north" you eat "Pahhhsties," not "Pay-sties." Pay - sties are what strippers wear, not food. They are spelled the same. Don't be fooled. Also fudge is for fudgies (tourists) not for locals. you can get fudge on your first visit, then you are done. Just get some pie or something.

Oh BTW. I would not hesitate to live near Saginaw/Bay City. Especially to the north of the City. Tawas is awesome.

There you go, now you are all set. welcome to Michigan. Go Blue!

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-21-2020 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-21-2020, 01:08 PM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I guess a big part of it will come down to the final pay offer. I didn't know about the city tax. Ugh. I'd probably just pay the 1.5% and live in the the city to avoid driving more miles in crappy weather, especially if there are parts that are reasonably safe. I think a lot of it will come down to the final pay offer. I have a range now and am waiting for the final in a few weeks or so. These taxes really add up. There's the state 4.5% plus the city 0.75% to 1.5% plus the 4.4% pulled for retirement. I'd get that retirement in 20 years, but I'm looking at now - student loans and such. I'd need like 10% more money to keep the same lifestyle that I have in Texas.

Part of me is hoping that they make a decent offer and that I can recreate a life something like when I was a kid. I have fond memories of the snow. But I know I have rose-tinted glasses. Worst case, it's a good career move in the long term and maybe I can transfer to another VA down the road. I'm very burned out on Texas. I've lived in pretty much all areas, and I'm ready to leave.

Ok, I'm rambling. I guess my new question is: where in Saginaw can I live without fear of constant break ins or assaults on my cat? The northern side of town? The township is another city? This is kind of confusing. Will I have to pay taxes to both Saginaw and Saginaw Township? ha ha
My daughter is a RN at St.Mary's in Saginaw. She lives in Midland and commutes to Saginaw. I think it takes her about 40 minutes to get there. I don't like Midland for the fact that for the size of it there are no popular chain restaurants other than on Joe Mann blvd. and Eastman on the north side. Its like they are in a time warp. My two grand daughters attend SVSU college on Bay road just north of Saginaw, they always seem to find things to do on there time off . Bay road is where the action is as far as mall, nicer restaurants and activities. I'm assuming you are a younger person, this area might be more to your liking by being close to everything and not have to drive to far. I wouldn't get too hung up about crime in central Michigan unless you like to hang out in the ghetto of Saginaw you'll probably never encounter any crime. On a weather note, we have had two mild winters here lately with alot of sunny days and milder temps. I thinking with the global warming going on Mi is the new Tenn for climate. Good luck on your decision.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:14 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
(If you go way up north, it can be ten hours, that will make you feel more at home).
Toledo/Lambertville to Ironwood is about the same distance as roughly College Station to El Paso! Really about halfway between Austin and College Station.
Saginaw to Ironwood is about the same distance as Houston to Lubbock.

And much like Texas, there's a whole lot of nothing in between

Old 01-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanks, Coldjensens, great information. I went to Canada once in the 80s. I'd definitely like to visit. Do I need a passport these days?

I guess I'll know for sure what I'm doing in a few weeks once the final offer comes.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Yes you need a passport or an enhanced drivers license. I am not sure Canada has changed all that much since the 80s. Toronto has.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
My daughter is a RN at St.Mary's in Saginaw. She lives in Midland and commutes to Saginaw. I think it takes her about 40 minutes to get there. I don't like Midland for the fact that for the size of it there are no popular chain restaurants other than on Joe Mann blvd. and Eastman on the north side. Its like they are in a time warp. My two grand daughters attend SVSU college on Bay road just north of Saginaw, they always seem to find things to do on there time off . Bay road is where the action is as far as mall, nicer restaurants and activities. I'm assuming you are a younger person, this area might be more to your liking by being close to everything and not have to drive to far. I wouldn't get too hung up about crime in central Michigan unless you like to hang out in the ghetto of Saginaw you'll probably never encounter any crime. On a weather note, we have had two mild winters here lately with alot of sunny days and milder temps. I thinking with the global warming going on Mi is the new Tenn for climate. Good luck on your decision.
I think I initially let myself get overly scared of crime. I'd rather avoid a 40 min drive, especially in winter. I'm not old or young, somewhere in the middle. I'll look into that area once I know if I'm going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan