Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 02:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Renting is smart. It gives you a chance to look at different areas and see what you like.

My son grew up in Michigan and now coaches tough athletes at Ut and the TRC. When it is 50 he is wearing shorts and a T shirt or a onesie and his team members are in coats sweats and working out and complaining about the cold. One of his co-coaches came to visit last month for a conference. He got quite a shock. (He did not bring a coat, he thought he would be fine). It was funny.

I would be amusing to be a fly on the wall for OP's first real cold snap (-10 windchill or colder). But you adjust to it pretty quickly. It is a sunlessness that you never adjust to.

we did not have much super cold this year. just one or two days last week is all I can rememebr where even the windchill was below zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:21 PM

18 posts, read 15,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Waterside apts is a good place to check out, and only 1.5 miles North of the VA hospital. Yet it's close to all the shopping, and restaurants you could ever want. Also has a huge lake recreation area that was dug out when they created the expressway years ago. We used to swim in it back when it was just a gravel pit, before they took it over and made it real nice.

Change to satellite view, and look around:

https://goo.gl/maps/87gkkS3XhqUzvQP16

Thank you, that place looks decent, and it allows cats (a must for me)

Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Renting is smart. It gives you a chance to look at different areas and see what you like.

My son grew up in Michigan and now coaches tough athletes at Ut and the TRC. When it is 50 he is wearing shorts and a T shirt or a onesie and his team members are in coats sweats and working out and complaining about the cold. One of his co-coaches came to visit last month for a conference. He got quite a shock. (He did not bring a coat, he thought he would be fine). It was funny.

I would be amusing to be a fly on the wall for OP's first real cold snap (-10 windchill or colder). But you adjust to it pretty quickly. It is a sunlessness that you never adjust to.

we did not have much super cold this year. just one or two days last week is all I can rememebr where even the windchill was below zero.

I'm definitely renting to start. I might just sign a short lease on something that looks good without going up first. If I don't like it, I'll move. Oh, I know it's going to be miserable. It's going to be different from when I was 9 and played in the snow. I've been in -40 F a couple times. But I've been in tropical and subtropical areas for the past few decades, so it's going to be rough. I'm going to have a lot of clothing layers and always keep stuff in my vehicle. Probably going to have three different sets of gloves for different activities.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:48 AM

50 posts, read 79,779 times
Just go to Zillow and look up the Flint/Saginaw area. From there, zoom out and look for someplace like Clarkston that is close to I-75 so you can get to Saginaw as quickly as possible. As for the cold weather, you just need to learn how to dress for it and you're fine. Michigan's property taxes are low compared to that of Texas but you have to research the millage rates of the cities you're looking at because some city/school districts have very high millage rates. The sales tax doesn't include food and medicines. There is a state income tax but some cities also have city income tax so watch out for that.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Well, looks like I'll be moving next month. Time to get serious about finding a place!

Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
Well, looks like I'll be moving next month. Time to get serious about finding a place!
When you move with no climate appropriate clothing, Salvation army is your best friend.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 PM

I'm already buying some stuff I need. I tell people that the jacket I wear here on most days will be my Michigan summer jacket

Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When you move with no climate appropriate clothing, Salvation army is your best friend.
I love going to the Salvation Army store. I bought a warm winter coat there at the beginning of winter. Brand NEW, never worn, and I got it for $9.95! I also picked up some pants and shirts for less than $5 each.

Can't beat that, even with a stick.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
"Brutally cold" in the lower peninsula of MI is a pretty sizable overstatement.

It'll certainly be colder than TX, but "brutally cold" it is not - except for the occasional "polar vortex".

https://weatherspark.com/y/16634/Ave...tes-Year-Round

You can compare those monthly averages to your location in TX.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM

I've got it down to two apartments. One is in Saginaw Township North (Township Square), the other in Carrollton Township (Sterling Crest). Both are about the same distance to the VA. One is closer to the mall area. Any major differences between the two areas other than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan