Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 PM

87 posts, read 232,074 times

Advertisements

I flew back to Michigan a couple of weeks ago for family (I was born in Bay City and grew up in Fraser and Sterling Heights, among other places there) and found I couldn't get moving back there out of my mind.

I live in Albuquerque (New Mexico) and have a decent job, but I've never quite felt at home out here. My kids are grown, so there is no concerns there really. If someone would offer me a job, I would come out there at the drop of a hat. But my wife, after I thought was warming up to the idea, told me that she doesn't really want to move back because of the weather. I don't really remember it being THAT bad! It's kind of like the choice between two extremes: heat and wind in the summer (NM) or cold and snow in the winter (Mich).

Am I starting to lose it? Is my la-la meter fully pegged? Help..!!

- Dagnabit9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
I find a certain hunger for Michigan when I'm away too. There are 7 nice months(April-October), and 5 months of cold/gloomy weather(November-March). Do what your heart tells you to.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
NM is exactly where I'd like to be rather than MI. So, yes you are crazy!

If you came here between Nov and Mar, you might have a better feeling for what you left with regard to weather -- cold, snow, and almost constant cloud cover. And then there's the bad economy in MI -- good luck finding a job at this point.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 74,117 times
Default Your not crazy, Michigan has that effect on people

I lived in Holland, Michigan for a time. I live in Colorado now and I will tell you I fantasize about living in michigan a great deal. Especially west michigan. No area can compare to it's geography. I am originally from Colorado but my heart is in Michigan. If I can get back to Michigan, I will never leave!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
Wow -- living in Colorado and prefer Michigan's geology. Lifelong Michigan resident and I don't get it....

Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 PM

136 posts, read 482,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Wow -- living in Colorado and prefer Michigan's geology. Lifelong Michigan resident and I don't get it....
Not surprised. I spent 6 years there myself. The mountains are nice, but most of eastern Colorado is essentially high desert. Denver has considerable smog. They say every tree in the city was planted. Grass must be irrigated to grow. Many counties require very large tracts of land to have the right to drill a water well. Without municipal water fed by mountain snow pack the place would return to dust. Overall, it's a much harsher climate to live in than the sunshine statistics would indicate.
The greenery and abundant water in MI are easy to take for granted. The trick is to find some way to feed the insatiable leaches in Lansing and have enough time and money left to enjoy what we have. I found that much easier to do in Colorado. If I could only have CO pay and taxes and live in MI.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabit9 View Post
I flew back to Michigan a couple of weeks ago for family (I was born in Bay City and grew up in Fraser and Sterling Heights, among other places there) and found I couldn't get moving back there out of my mind.

I live in Albuquerque (New Mexico) and have a decent job, but I've never quite felt at home out here. My kids are grown, so there is no concerns there really. If someone would offer me a job, I would come out there at the drop of a hat. But my wife, after I thought was warming up to the idea, told me that she doesn't really want to move back because of the weather. I don't really remember it being THAT bad! It's kind of like the choice between two extremes: heat and wind in the summer (NM) or cold and snow in the winter (Mich).

Am I starting to lose it? Is my la-la meter fully pegged? Help..!!

- Dagnabit9

One thing that's easy to miss is that spring fever feeling when you've been living in a place that is always like spring.

Next year you should go for a vacation in the early part of January and see if it's still what you want.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,687 times
Seems like people are saying this more and more. Michigan has a character all its own.

May I ask what industry you are in? May affect how readily you'll find a job, and where do you want to live in Michigan?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
there's no lakes!!!!

colorado is nice, but i have to have my water.....and not just the great lakes but the thousands of smaller lakes as well.

i had to move to missouri and i dream about michigan ALL THE TIME, now that spring is here i miss it so bad. this will be my first summer away from home and i feel like i'm missing out

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,224 times
Have a sister thats been in CO. for 18 years. Don't know if she'll ever come back here to live. When she is here she says other than family, how she misses the "green", the woods, trees, grass,etc. Like another poster said "do what's right for you and your family". Oh ya, she has snow days too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan