Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:34 PM

250 posts, read 931,138 times

Advertisements

Ok I have lived in MI all of my life and have recently wanted to move out of state (because of the bad ecomony here) with my husband and kids. Then I discovered this website and started reading all of the posts from people who have moved and say it is the worst mistake in the world. They say " the grass is always greener no matter what, so stay put and you'll be happy" or "you'll be an outsider and won't be accepted" or "its bad all over the U.S." So it made me rethink about moving. I started to believe that maybe I was making a mountain out of a mole hill (the MI economy, that is) and I'd be better off staying put. I thought maybe it will get better.

Now I've been reading alot more posts of people who are pleased with leaving MI and have found the "perfect spot" to live; how Michiganders are lifeless, boring, dull and depressed; how many other states offer better jobs, better pay and better insurance. So it gives me hope and I get excited about moving again.

But it really is all a matter of perspective. What may seem like a great place to one person, might be like living in hell to another. I'm not gonna ask the ritual question of : where should i move to? That is irrevelent at this point in time. What I really want to know is, is Michigan really that bad? Or is it a "grass is always greener" sceanrio? I mean I know the ecomony stinks (heck I can't find a good paying job) but what makes another state appealing over this one?

I keep hearing how "Michigan is such an unfriendly, poverty-stricken, lifeless, uneducated hole" and that "Michigan is dying" and "Michigan is a ______________", well you get the idea. But I hear that alot about other states too. I guess I am just really confused right now.

I am at this point in my life where I either stay here, and make it work or I leave now and make new roots somewhere else. But I really am not sure if moving will solve any of my problems. Some of the veteran movers on this site say "Don't move to get away from something" But what if the something you are trying to get away from is that state's bad economy itself? Then what? Is that the exception to the rule?

Which is the bigger risk,staying here in MI waiting for the ecomony to get better or leaving with no money, no place to live, no job, in hopes for a better life somewhere else?

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 52,876 times
I am not going to tell you how wonderful or how bad Michigan is. I am only going to state the facts.

Highest unemployment
most job losses
highest forecloser rate
biggest drop in housing prices
Lowest job placement of resent college grads
highest vacantcies for commercial property
highest poverty rate (detroit)
net population loss

Now if these are selling point for you or if you are secure in your job then you should stay in Michigan. If not there are several states that have a good ecomomy, better weather and affordable housing. There are several cities that will not treat you as an outsider because almost everyone is from some place else.

I left the Michigan (Metro Detroit) after 39 years. There are some adjustments but the only regret I have is not doing it sooner.

Get on the internet, call people that live in the area you are considering and visit a few places. Michigan is in the begining of there problems. If you are considering leaving now is the time to do it.

Record numbers of people are taking the buyouts from the big 3 and many of those that didn't will be layed off. Do you think they are staying? When they leave you will hear a sucking sound at the boarder. Every auto job supports approx. 6-10 jobs that will be gone also.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 AM

250 posts, read 931,138 times
Yep that sounds about right! But I guess because I've never lived anywhere else, I have nothing to compare it too! I guess I am just worried that I will make a big mistake like so many others say that they have done. But then again, I've been researching moving for the past 2 years now, and have complied quite an army of info. I guess if I started visiting those places, I'd be less nervous to move!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:46 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,463,002 times
How do people figure that Metro-Detroit and the state of Michigan are synonymous? I agree the "city" way of life in Michigan has been in general decline for quite some time! Even before all the lay-offs in GM and Ford!

I've always argued that Michigan's fundemental economies are logging and farming! Understand that and you'll get a better "picture" of Michigan!

If i can compare Michigan to another state, it would be W.Virginia! That's not nesacarily a bad thing either for those of you who like "country-living"!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-27-2006 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
How do people figure that Metro-Detroit and the state of Michigan are synonymous? I agree the "city" way of life in Michigan has been in general decline for quite some time! Even before all the lay-offs in GM and Ford!

I've always argued that Michigan's fundemental economies are logging and farming! Understand that and you'll get a better "picture" of Michigan!

If i can compare Michigan to another state, it would be W.Virginia! That's not nesacarily a bad thing either for those of you who like "country-living"!
I been to West Virginia, it is about the most depressing part of the country I have ever seen. Unemployment and low wages have been a part of life in WV for so long it is all that is known.

I am sorry but I do not mean any disrespect, but Michigan lives and breathes on the back of Metro Detroit and the auto industry. Logging and farming is not the backbone of michigan.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Yep that sounds about right! But I guess because I've never lived anywhere else, I have nothing to compare it too! I guess I am just worried that I will make a big mistake like so many others say that they have done. But then again, I've been researching moving for the past 2 years now, and have complied quite an army of info. I guess if I started visiting those places, I'd be less nervous to move!
When you visit do not treat it as a vacation. It is scary and exciting to relocate. Most people look for a job first then look for a place close to work. I reccomend doing this in reverse. Now, I am not suggesting that you move without a job. I am suggesting that you find an area that you would like to live. After all what is the point of making a move to someplace you do not wish to live. If you have kids narrow it down to a high school that you wouldn't mind having your children attend. Start with the high school regardless of age. If the high school is good, the middle school and elem. school will also be good. Do not go by ratings, an A rating in one state will not be an A rating in another state. Use S.A.T. and A.C.T. scores, these are national and mean the same thing everywhere. Even states with a reputation for bad schools have good schools if you look.

Once you pick an area and school that you like, you are not ready to move. It is now time to research the job market. I do not know what your skills are or your current occupation. You can look at salary.com and Monster.com to get an idea of the need and income potential in the are you picked. If it doesn't meet you needs, then pick another part of the country and start over.

Now that you know what your job prospect are it is time to research the cost of living. you can do this on line. There are several sites that will offer you a city to city comparision. Sometimes this can be a little out of date. If you are planning to rent you need to know the cost of rents in the area. If you are planning to buy it is important to talk to a local lender and realtor.

When picking an area don't be afraid to use your gut, you can feel a good economy. People are happier, the stores are a little more crowded and new construction is everywhere.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:00 PM

153 posts, read 709,598 times
IMHO...

Well many people will claim that the grass is always greener on the other side - it is slightly true. But with the way things are in Michigan right now, it's more green everywhere else.

Upside to moving away:

-Jobs, Jobs, and Jobs galore compared to Michigan (which I read somewhere is averaging 2500 resumes per job)
-The pay will be MUCH higher, because they can't get away with paying low wages around here - there's no buses carrying people from Detroit to accept them.
-Health Insurance
-K-12 Schools are begining to slide in Michigan because of the economy
-Less Crime
-FAR less racism. Out of the 11 states I've lived in Michigan is by far the most racist state of them all
-No more unions! (well much fewer unions, as Michigan is the last stronghold)

Downside to Moving away:

-You have to make new "roots"
-Housing will generally be more expensive elsewhere. Since so many people are leaving Michigan (it actually had NEGATIVE population growth!) the prices in Michigan are dropping rapidly, as people try to sell more and more houses to fewer and fewer buyers.
-You'll probably miss Meijer I have yet to figure out where everything is in a Super Target.

And finally in response to BGF:

-Logging is dead... the federal government up in the UP has restricted it to the point of suffication. The biggest employer in the UP by far is Cleveland Cliffs (the Mines) - which are also dying. They're only projected to last another few years before they close.
-Farming is a part of the economy, but I wouldn't say it is a primary industry. Granholm or the rest of the politicians in Lansing sure don't act like it. They continually help the "other" industries to try and keep them alive, and they've neglected farming.

Believe it or not one of the bigger industries in Michigan that few people know about is Oil and Gas. Ever drive up 127 and see those oil pumps and vent stacks? It's a significant part of the economy.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
I been to West Virginia, it is about the most depressing part of the country I have ever seen. Unemployment and low wages have been a part of life in WV for so long it is all that is known.
We'll agree to disagree! The most depressing though?! Come' on! I was relating Michigan to W.Virginia in a sense the whole dang state can be considered semi-rural to rural with no really burgeoning cities!

I agree that city folks will find W.Virginia depressing if he/she can't get some gucci shoes or a prada bag!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
And finally in response to BGF:

-Logging is dead... the federal government up in the UP has restricted it to the point of suffication. The biggest employer in the UP by far is Cleveland Cliffs (the Mines) - which are also dying. They're only projected to last another few years before they close.
-Farming is a part of the economy, but I wouldn't say it is a primary industry. Granholm or the rest of the politicians in Lansing sure don't act like it. They continually help the "other" industries to try and keep them alive, and they've neglected farming.

Believe it or not one of the bigger industries in Michigan that few people know about is Oil and Gas. Ever drive up 127 and see those oil pumps and vent stacks? It's a significant part of the economy.
Yeah, you're right about the logging! (another one of my half-a*sed posts!)
Farming anywhere in the U.S. seems to get no help from the government! (that is for another thread)
I haven't been on 127 since it was 27!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:27 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,891,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
I am not going to tell you how wonderful or how bad Michigan is. I am only going to state the facts.

Highest unemployment
most job losses
highest forecloser rate
biggest drop in housing prices
Lowest job placement of resent college grads
highest vacantcies for commercial property
highest poverty rate (detroit)
net population loss

Get on the internet, call people that live in the area you are considering and visit a few places. Michigan is in the begining of there problems. If you are considering leaving now is the time to do it.

Actually, Michigan doesn't have the highest unemployment rate in the country. That honor goes to Mississippi with 7.5% in November. Then comes Michigan at 6.9% and right behind at 6.6%, South Carolina. It appears that the land of unemployment milk and honey is Hawaii at 2.3% and Utah at 2.6%. Good luck affording Hawaii anyway.

Nevada has the highest foreclosure rate, followed up by "...Ohio, Texas, Michigan, California, New Jersey, Indiana and Tennessee."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4490106&EDATE=

I am still looking for state information, but the biggest drop in housing prices occured in Anderson, IN. Some of the biggest projected drops aren't even in the Midwest. http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/biz...herenot/6.html

Cleveland, OH was the city with the highest poverty rate, followed by Detroit, MI, and Miami, FL. El Centro, CA had the highest unemployment at 16.1%. Detroit was down the list, but 6.7% and 16.1% are worlds of difference. http://www.bls.gov/web/laummtrk.htm

Michigan sucks still, but isn't first at the worst of everything. Close, but there are worse places.

At anyrate, away from this forum, I have in fact talked to people from the areas I am looking at in Michigan. They don't think the economy is the greatest, but it isn't 40% unemployment world, gloom and doom either. They like Michigan and *GASP* even recommend it. Hard times, but there have been much worse, according to them.

I visited these areas just this week and was actually impressed after I prepared myself for some initial disappointment. Downtown Grand Rapids was a mess of construction. Some of the suburbs looked OK enough and even the poorer areas were nothing surpising. I didn't get the feeling that it a booming madhouse, but neither that it was dying or flat regardless of what I read here by others. Looking at several major corporate websites for Spectrum Health, Smiths Aerospace, Meijer, Foremost Insurance Group, etc, there seems to be quite a few jobs for these companies that I am perfectly qualified for and I have their preferred requirements. The pay is more than acceptable. Most are postings from the last 21 days. Not that I expect to waltz in and get a job (I wouldn't expect that in the best economy), but the opportunity is certainally there.

At anyrate, I read the job market will bottom out next year. There is restructuring going on. I am not planning on making any move until I pick up a few more focused add-on qualifications next year and then going through a temp agency transfer sometime in the spring or summer of 08.

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 12-29-2006 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan