Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan: social programs, parenting help, advice, lawyer, news.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,184,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Yeah and I could win the lottery tonight.

Certainly, the "it's all for the children" mentality is across America. However, that something like this happens frequently enough in Michigan that it catches national attention says that the mentality is so dominant in Michigan that reasonable minded people are not present enough to stop it from allowing the law to drift into being unreasonable.
I read about the story on a bunch of different sites and saw an interview. Michigan was never painted as anything more than a simple location. You seem to see Michigan differently than others do. People aren't sitting around thinking bad things ONLY happen in michigan. The state has a lot of problems, everyone realizes that, but so do many others.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,408,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I read about the story on a bunch of different sites and saw an interview. Michigan was never painted as anything more than a simple location. You seem to see Michigan differently than others do. People aren't sitting around thinking bad things ONLY happen in michigan. The state has a lot of problems, everyone realizes that, but so do many others.
No one says "Michigan is obviously filled with zealots." However, if a person fails to recognize how prevalent the aberrancy must be in order to allow such tragedies to happen, then that person is terribly naive.

It's not politically correct to say "Can you believe how stupid this state is?" However, just like everyone looks at the Mexican president's attache stealing Blackberries and says to themselves "Yup, that's Mexico," so too do they look at a state and think "Oh, that's MI?"

That's just the way the world works... and rightfully so. These things don't happen without a broad section of the population being of that mindset.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No one says "Michigan is obviously filled with zealots." However, if a person fails to recognize how prevalent the aberrancy must be in order to allow such tragedies to happen, then that person is terribly naive.

It's not politically correct to say "Can you believe how stupid this state is?" However, just like everyone looks at the Mexican president's attache stealing Blackberries and says to themselves "Yup, that's Mexico," so too do they look at a state and think "Oh, that's MI?"

That's just the way the world works... and rightfully so. These things don't happen without a broad section of the population being of that mindset.
I don't understand how you don't get that it isn't about Michigan, nobody cares this in happened in Michigan, it's practically irrelevant. People are saying can you believe how stupid this COUNTRY is!

I think you are being myopic because you have things at stake here, but you don't see it realistically IMO. I'm not going to argue about it, you have your beliefs, it just seems like you want to make yourself miserable and that's not a pleasant way to live.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,408,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I don't understand how you don't get that it isn't about Michigan, nobody cares this in happened in Michigan, it's practically irrelevant. People are saying can you believe how stupid this COUNTRY is!
I think you're right. People who aren't considering moving and are just looking at the world (or country) are probably saying that it's a strike against the country. However, when conservative (in decision making, not necessarily politically) people are making decisions they take stuff like this into account.

There may be people who are considering moving who don't recognize that it's a problem within the state and think it's across the board. However, I'm saying those people are naive. What this issue demonstrates is that in the next state, enough people would say "this isn't right" and the issue would die out. However, in MI the segment of the population that would intervene is missing. Most importantly, they're missing from the government. That's scary.

Suffice to say, on the subject at hand, I say that national headlines about bad news in Michigan effects the perception of the state and represents the people of the state. You're implying it doesn't.

You're all entitled to an opinion... even if it's wrong.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue about it, you have your beliefs, it just seems like you want to make yourself miserable and that's not a pleasant way to live.
No. I just want to kick a state when it's down

Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM

418 posts, read 1,782,231 times
Quote:

Honestly, before we moved here, I didn't give Michigan a second thought. So, no, I would have never thought "Oh, that's MI for you" if something bad or odd happened. I think you give MI too much credit, in that everyone in the US has been here and has first hand knowledge about the state.

I just got off the phone with my mom (in Dallas). She was telling me that a mother there tried to kill her young children yesterday. Does that make everyone think, "OH, that's TEXAS"? Doubt it. It's unfortunate, but bad things happen everywhere. Not just in Michigan.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

418 posts, read 1,782,231 times
Quote:
Suffice to say, on the subject at hand, I say that national headlines about bad news in Michigan effects the perception of the state and represents the people of the state. You're implying it doesn't.
National headlines about bad news in ANY STATE affect the perception of the state. For about 5 minutes. Then people go on about their business and forget about it. This is just a ridiculous argument.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I think you're right. People who aren't considering moving and are just looking at the world (or country) are probably saying that it's a strike against the country. However, when conservative (in decision making, not necessarily politically) people are making decisions they take stuff like this into account.

There may be people who are considering moving who don't recognize that it's a problem within the state and think it's across the board. However, I'm saying those people are naive. What this issue demonstrates is that in the next state, enough people would say "this isn't right" and the issue would die out. However, in MI the segment of the population that would intervene is missing. Most importantly, they're missing from the government. That's scary.

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]What are you referring to, intervene on what? The lemonade thing is over, the kids back with his dad.
[/color][/color]

I'm not saying it doesn't, but as far as this little event, it's tiny I said "practically irrelevant" and on that I am right.

You're all entitled to an opinion... even if it's wrong.

Ditto

No. I just want to kick a state when it's down
Whatever makes you happy, I guess. That's not a life philosophy I will ever practice.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM

334 posts, read 1,369,637 times
Colorado and Oregon are scenic but aren't that great. I went to Portland in 2006 and saw more homeless people, than I've ever seen in Detroit. And their unemployment rate is only slightly better than ours. Detroit is known around the world, and perhaps one of the most influencial cities in history. Cars, music, etc. Just because the unemployment rate is 7.2%, and the national rate is about 5% doesn't mean this state is some wasteland. The economy in this nation is slowly declining. This isn't a perfect world, bad things happen everywhere, and Michigan is far from being the worst place to live.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
National headlines about bad news in ANY STATE affect the perception of the state. For about 5 minutes. Then people go on about their business and forget about it. This is just a ridiculous argument.
I agree, americans aren't known for their long attention spans.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
Colorado and Oregon are scenic but aren't that great. I went to Portland in 2006 and saw more homeless people, than I've ever seen in Detroit. And their unemployment rate is only slightly better than ours. Detroit is known around the world, and perhaps one of the most influencial cities in history. Cars, music, etc. Just because the unemployment rate is 7.2%, and the national rate is about 5% doesn't mean this state is some wasteland. The economy in this nation is slowly declining. This isn't a perfect world, bad things happen everywhere, and Michigan is far from being the worst place to live.
I totally agree! Michigan has the resources to come back up again. The state is surrounded by fresh water and filled with forest. I'm quite happy to have all the negative people leave and those of us who stay can work with these resources and grow strong again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan