Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:54 PM

85 posts, read 238,453 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of coming to Michigan and seeing the Mackinac area. I was there as a child of 11 and now I want to go back and see it again. What is the best time of year to visit and any ideas of where to stay that isn't too costly but still nice?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat05 View Post
I am thinking of coming to Michigan and seeing the Mackinac area. I was there as a child of 11 and now I want to go back and see it again. What is the best time of year to visit and any ideas of where to stay that isn't too costly but still nice?
thanks
early early summer or early fall are the best times although you will have to be prepared for cooler weather on the island.....are you looking to stay on the island or in mackinaw city?? i personally love going to the island at all times....crowds or no crowds i still find awesome stuff to do.....winter is magical too

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,097 times
One of the very best places on earth! Mofromcheboygankalamazoo and myself can probably answer a lotttt of questions for you. The best time for most crowds and warm weather is July-August. You may want to go during the Lilac Festival in June. Stunning! Fall is better for less people, if you like it that way.

On the Island I love the Lake View Hotel for nice views, clean rooms, and a mix of modern convenience. Main Street Inn is my favorite for immaculate rooms with the best materials, such as pillowtop beds, kitchenettes, etc, and it's very new, with some great views. Hotel Iroquois is probably the most tranquil, with charming guest rooms and three large sitting rooms. Less modern convenience, ie no ice machines, elevators....

And be sure to take Star Line Ferry, some of the friendliest people around!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,470 times
LILAC HOUSE Bed & Breakfast Haven't stayed here in a number of years but it was a good choice if you want to be in a "cozy" venue. Enjoy your trip! June can be surprisingly warm, but it as still the U P. (bring warm stuff as insurance)

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
My advice is don't stay anywhere on the island itself -- costs a heart and a kidney. Check around St. Ignace, right after Labor Day when the prices are low.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,082,442 times
Definetly stay in St. Ignace.

Cheaper, quieter, and not as "touristy".

And for a real cheap vacation, camp in Brimley and drive down for the day.

Mack City is a tourist trap.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Definetly stay in St. Ignace.

Cheaper, quieter, and not as "touristy".

And for a real cheap vacation, camp in Brimley and drive down for the day.

Mack City is a tourist trap.
tourist trap is a bit harsh-you can still thuroughly enjoy mackinaw city-as a local i still love going to mackinaw city and the island to explore-mackinaw city has true history-i am not sure how that history is a tourist trap?! same with the nature! many many many tourists visit the area sure-but they do for a reason! and yes if you want quieter and maybe you are only interested in a few things then sure stay in st. ignace...i.f you are all about camping camp at wilderness state park-beautiful!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,082,442 times
I always liked Ft. Mackinac, as a kid and as an adult.

Lots of history there.

What I mean by "tourist trap" is that it can be quite expensive to stay overnight in town.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I always liked Ft. Mackinac, as a kid and as an adult.

Lots of history there.

What I mean by "tourist trap" is that it can be quite expensive to stay overnight in town.

ok, i'll agree with that...because it is a high tourist area-hotel rates are awful!...but since i worked at one of those hotels i can tell you always always negotiate!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,688 times
I vote for early June or the end of September, beginning of October. (we usually go in the fall).
I also agree that St. Ignace is the place to stay. We rarely ever stop in Mackinac City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan