Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 01:57 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times

Advertisements

This will be during fall. We plan to start at Mackinaw City and do as much of a circle tour going south as we can. It looks like Google Maps has us taking 23 north and then 75 north for most of the trip from Maumee Bay to Mackinaw City. Are there any scenic overlooks or scenic fall spots that wouldn't be far off course during the trip to Mackinaw City? Or is there a scenic route that isn't much longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
This will be during fall. We plan to start at Mackinaw City and do as much of a circle tour going south as we can. It looks like Google Maps has us taking 23 north and then 75 north for most of the trip from Maumee Bay to Mackinaw City. Are there any scenic overlooks or scenic fall spots that wouldn't be far off course during the trip to Mackinaw City? Or is there a scenic route that isn't much longer?
Update: I think we are going to stop at the Saginaw Bay area and see as much of the northern Michigan portion of Lake Huron on the way to Mackinaw City as we can since we've never been to Lake Huron.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:44 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,275,688 times
Quote:
I doubt it, at least not until you are practically there. I mean yes certainly there are interesting towns and whatnot, but nothing I’ve ever heard people really single out.

It’s kind of a straight shot up north. Taking a byway up either coast, even if possible, would likely take an enormous amount of time, and you can usually only see the water intermittently, anyway.

You will have more beautiful scenery and water then you know what to do with when you reach your destination. Anything between is likely to just be a (far) less compelling version of the same themes.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:33 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,157,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Good choice, if you need to stop around western Lake Erie. Maumee Bay State Park is a nice, clean park with a Lake Erie beach and a nice lodge and visitors' center. There is a small boardwalk behind the visitors' center where you can see various types of water birds and an occasional deer. It isn't far from Magee Marsh which has a larger boardwalk and is a huge magnet for birdwatchers, as others have mentioned. In early May people literally come from all over the world to view the migratory birds there.

I live in Monroe County, MI and IMHO, neither Sterling State Park nor Luna Pier are worth a stop. Sterling is just ok, it doesn't have a very nice Lake Erie shoreline, relatively speaking, and I hate to say it but is kind of dirty. Luna Pier is a kind of cute little town but the pier and beach were nasty the last time I was there earlier this summer. Dead fish on the beach, a "lovely" view of a nuclear power plant or two...skip it, it isn't worth your time.
See below video. The state park looks nice enough to me. It doesn't have the bluffs like Lake Michigan and Superior, but the beach looks good. It's only 0.8 miles long though, and you have the view of one of the power plants. Plus the beach area is narrower because of the near record-high water levels. I have been there a few times in the past month, and I didn't notice the dirtiness you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJQNPUQE4E&t=52s

Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 AM

495 posts, read 326,828 times
Quote:
Mlive is a website for a group of Michigan newspapers. Lately on my FB feed, they've been posting various articles about scenic areas of Michigan to check out. I am currently unable to access my facebook account, but you should be able to search for it.

We recently spent a weekend in Gaylord, and I got a fantastic pic of a pond at Aspen Park there. There was also an Elk park there that was interesting, but I wasn't able to get a very good pic of the elks. Petoskey and Traverse City were gorgeous as well. I honestly wouldn't waste too much time on the East side, knowing how much better the west side is.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,440 times
Driving up, sure the US-23 corridor from Ann Arbor up to Fenton/Flint will have a bit of color starting to turn in the trees along the highway, but there is really nothing worth stopping for and just blow on through up through Flint, Saginaw/Bay City, and head north.

It all depends on how much time you have and how much time you want to spend on the road.

Obviously the shortest path to Mackinac City is straight-up I-75. You could make a pit stop at Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, and you could take some of the local roads instead like Old 27 or M-27 from Indian River to Cheybogan.

Or, if you don't mind the longer drive, take US-23 from Standish up to Mackinac City. Some of the towns are interesting to explore. It will add hours if not take all day if you make enough stops. All depends how much time you want to spend on the road. The better more interesting places along the east side US-23 route include Tawas City, Alpena, and Roger City.
Some places you will have views of Lake Huron along the route, but often times you are back in the woods or behind private residences.

If you have the time, explore to your content.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 AM

Thanks, yes, I'm getting the impression Saginaw Bay is not worth stopping at. I see you mentioned Cheboygan. I was thinking about driving straight up to Cheboygan and seeing the Cheboygan Crib Light and Mackinac
Straits Roadside Park so that we can say we saw Lake Huron. Do you think that's the best plan if we don't want to go too far out of the way for Lake Huron? Are both of those considered Lake Huron? It was hard for me to tell exactly where Lake Michigan ends and Lake Huron begins.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:11 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,440 times
There is really nothing all that interesting or unique to see in the Saginaw Bay area. Its pretty flat, marshy, and not overly scenic at least in comparison to all the other areas. Similar to the Lake Erie coastline in may regards.
Again, if you have unlimited time to explore and wander, sure go check out a few of the state parks or public access sites, but honestly you can easily just blow through that area and really miss nothing.

The dividing line between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron is the Straits of Mackinac and for all practical matters the Mackinac Bridge.

Sure Cheboygan is on Lake Huron and not too far out of the way from the drive up to Mackinac City. Cheboygan State Park has good coastline access and the views are nice from there of the straits and the islands offshore. Not exactly sure where the lighthouse is at.

If you are going this weekend, its expected to be near peak fall colors in the inland areas away from the lakes. Specifically the I-72 & US-131 corridors from Grayling to Mackinac.
As I mentioned in another thread, the leaves are turning fast all over the state this week.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
See below video. The state park looks nice enough to me. It doesn't have the bluffs like Lake Michigan and Superior, but the beach looks good. It's only 0.8 miles long though, and you have the view of one of the power plants. Plus the beach area is narrower because of the near record-high water levels. I have been there a few times in the past month, and I didn't notice the dirtiness you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJQNPUQE4E&t=52s
The reason I said that is because the last time I was at Sterling their were dead fish along the beach and the water was murky gray. It wasn't filthy by any means, I didn't mean to imply that, just that compared to the other Great Lakes shorelines up north it is not very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan