Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This will likely disappear. There is no major crime here. What did they do? Did they take an action in furtherance of the plan? Talking about it is not illegal. Unless they took an action that was actually criminal, they will get nothing more than a lecture. Maybe some gun violations. If pot was still illegal, they might have gotten a few months for that. The may get one of them on stalking law violations, but there does not appear to be a lot of proof of that.

It is a distraction and an opportunity to get in front of cameras again. It will fade away in a week or so.
I'm sort of wondering the same. Just how far did this "plot" really get. It better have gone beyond a talking stage if they are going to send people to prison.

I will say though that I would rather see people prosecuted for attempting something or conspiring to do something than have to deal with the harm inflicted after a crime like kidnapping or murder has been committed. That's the reason we have attempt offenses in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
boys will be boys, this was never going to happen anyway
Right.

Just like Oklahoma City and Columbine and 9/11.

"boys will be boys" ...

PS - Maybe your boys. I certainly didn't raise two sons who would engage in this sort of hateful malevolent jackassery.

PPS - You and the other excuse-makers in this thread who want to pretend this never happened would do well to remember the words of Edmund Burke:
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Last edited by 2x3x29x41; 10-16-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
These paradoxical posts from the "law and order bunch" are great humor--but they also are instructive as to the fact that many societies around the globe have open support and apologists for their own homegrown terrorists. Here in America it's the anti gubmint militias who pose as patriots while blowing up federal buildings and killing the innocent. Tim McVeigh was such a person, but alas, he was a mere child in the eyes of his apologists..Such a nice boy--before that mess in Oklahoma..I guess we should have put Timmy on double secret probation until he grew up and sought to mend his childish ways..
I was four months out of nursing school when the Murrah Federal Building was bombed. The explosion rattled the windows in my apartment complex. A former coworker was among the dead. I was involved in triage in our ER. That is why I have a lot of difficulty with those who want to trivialize or dismiss people like this, who obviously planned to be heavily armed and to disrupt a duly elected government.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I was four months out of nursing school when the Murrah Federal Building was bombed. The explosion rattled the windows in my apartment complex. A former coworker was among the dead. I was involved in triage in our ER. That is why I have a lot of difficulty with those who want to trivialize or dismiss people like this, who obviously planned to be heavily armed and to disrupt a duly elected government.
Well, the political "team spirit" allows those with a "my team" VS "your team," to become complacent, or even supportive about violence if it serves them or their political philosophy. We all should be unequivocally against the use of force to achieve our political goals, simply because that is the epitome of anarchy, something both the left and right moderates have disdained. Extremists exist among us and always have, the political climate just happens to be favorable to their goals at this time and that is truly unfortunate.

Tim McVeigh and other homegrown terrorists have been indoctrinated through various right wing web sites and the rantings of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and now, the president himself. We haven't seen the end of these creatures and most likely wont ever have them just go away. America is now a nation divided, and the low IQ types will now come out of the woodwork to "save us" from the terrible tyranny of mandated mask wearing..

Old 10-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Tim McVeigh and other homegrown terrorists have been indoctrinated through various right wing web sites and the rantings of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and now, the president himself. We haven't seen the end of these creatures and most likely wont ever have them just go away. America is now a nation divided, and the low IQ types will now come out of the woodwork to "save us" from the terrible tyranny of mandated mask wearing..
The head psychiatrist on my unit at the hospital performed the psychological evaluation on McVeigh before his criminal trial. He said "I have never seen such a total absence of emotion in a human being. Without question, he is the coldest individual I have ever met. No remorse or empathy whatsoever."

Old 10-16-2020, 03:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm sort of wondering the same. Just how far did this "plot" really get. It better have gone beyond a talking stage if they are going to send people to prison.
Same with Muslims?

Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
The absence of community is a deeper issue. In small towns a century ago, neighbors helped neighbors. Then farm machinery replaced farmers, mass production replaced small town craftsmen, and most of the population moved to cities to get factory jobs. For many who didn't make that move, there's not much left beyond church and drinking buddies/junkies. The situation is equally bleak in many big cities where manufacturers moved out decades ago. Both have plenty of meatheads/punks who would join any team, gang, riot squad, etc. to feel community.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:21 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
They should be script writers for Hollywood. The viewing public would pay a lot of money to see their work.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:14 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Something tells me that Brandon Caserta a self-described anarchist, cop hater and Trump hater probably isn't listening to any of the folks you mention above. Nor the Bernie supporter that tried to assassinate Steve Scalise and others at the congressional softball game.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The absence of community is a deeper issue. In small towns a century ago, neighbors helped neighbors. Then farm machinery replaced farmers, mass production replaced small town craftsmen, and most of the population moved to cities to get factory jobs. For many who didn't make that move, there's not much left beyond church and drinking buddies/junkies. The situation is equally bleak in many big cities where manufacturers moved out decades ago. Both have plenty of meatheads/punks who would join any team, gang, riot squad, etc. to feel community.
Interesting take on things. This might explain the rise of some of the groups that we have seen recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan