Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 42,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Refugee View Post
Burton is also pretty bad now too.

Michigan's economy is nearly comatose and its dog eat dog when looking for a job...college grad or no.
I've lived in different areas of Burton for almost 8 years now and have never had any issues with crime or anything like that! Perhaps you are referring to the economy in Burton?

Also, I do not disagree that Michigan's economy is BAD...but there ARE jobs in certain areas. I went to UM-Flint and graduated in Dec of 06...got a great job related to my degree a month later! That being said, I feel lucky to have found a job in Flint...seems funny to say that; but it's close to home...and I feel relatively safe working Downtown during the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM

286 posts, read 994,110 times
I'll go ahead and agree with everyone else that Davison is a decent place to live. U of M Flint isnt in a terrific area though

Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM

86 posts, read 456,686 times
If you want to live closer to campus, the college/cultural neighborhood, Miller/Ballenger area, and Mott Park are good choices. If you don't mind a short commute, Davison, Grand Blanc, and many parts of Burton are fine places to live. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:10 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Default Flint

I've lived in Flint for 30 years and (fortunately) haven't had any problems. If you look at the east side just stay east of Dort Hwy and South of Richfield Rd. It's actually a reasonably priced area. The west side is the "nicest" part of Flint, but I wouldn't look anywhere north of Beecher Rd. If you're going to UM-Flint (I just graduated from there) downtown Flint isn't bad. It's a total ghost town after dark. There is an apartment complex called Sylvester Manor that is really nice and less than a mile from the campus. Just stay south of Robert T. Longway.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I've lived in Flint for 30 years and (fortunately) haven't had any problems. If you look at the east side just stay east of Dort Hwy and South of Richfield Rd. It's actually a reasonably priced area. The west side is the "nicest" part of Flint, but I wouldn't look anywhere north of Beecher Rd. If you're going to UM-Flint (I just graduated from there) downtown Flint isn't bad. It's a total ghost town after dark. There is an apartment complex called Sylvester Manor that is really nice and less than a mile from the campus. Just stay south of Robert T. Longway.
Why would you recommend staying south of Richfield Rd? I am truly baffled by that.... I would rather live north of Richfield than south of it... To be honest, I would say to stay north of Davison Rd and east of Averill.

Of course, the most important information is to stay away from Pierson (east of 75 that is), Clio(south of 475), Dupont, Pasadena, etc...

Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
I was just looking at pictures of Downtown Flint, and it looks surprisingly clean and appears to have a good number of stores filled. Everything I have heard about Flint is that it is in shambles. From what I can tell it looks better than Saginaw. Would I think differently if I moved up to the corner of DuPont and Pasadena Ave?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Why would you recommend staying south of Richfield Rd? I am truly baffled by that.... I would rather live north of Richfield than south of it... To be honest, I would say to stay north of Davison Rd and east of Averill.

Of course, the most important information is to stay away from Pierson (east of 75 that is), Clio(south of 475), Dupont, Pasadena, etc...
Yeah I would agree with that. I live North of Davison Rd and East of Averill and it's a really nice neighborhood. I just meant to stay out of the Rolling Wood/Carpenter Rd West of Bray Rd area.

Last edited by Tricia819; 07-16-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
I was just looking at pictures of Downtown Flint, and it looks surprisingly clean and appears to have a good number of stores filled. Everything I have heard about Flint is that it is in shambles. From what I can tell it looks better than Saginaw. Would I think differently if I moved up to the corner of DuPont and Pasadena Ave?
I lived downtown for two years and I loved it. Now the Downtown Development Authority is redeveloping a lot of property down there and it's getting even better. I think with the new U of M dorms opening next month you will see a lot of student centered services pop up too. You know they are trying to make it safer and more inviting for all the out of town money coming in to live at the dorms.

I don't know go through the Dupont/Pasadena area unless it's unavoidable. I know the north end of Flint tends to have a lot of boarded up, darelict (sp?)/ property and a high crime rate.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
i dont know if u of m ann arbor is an option for you, the area is kind of expensive but ann arbor is great. even with the economy the effects on ann arbor don't seem to be as bad as the rest of the state. if it's an option id highly suggest it. not to mention a degree from u of m plus the connections you would make at a prestigious school are gold.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,377 times
Default Great place to live in Grand Blanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhr72 View Post
I am thinking of moving somewhere near Flint, MI later this year. I'm in college at the moment, and am thinking about transfering to UM-Flint next year. I have heard that living in Flint itself is not a good idea, but I don't want to have to drive far to school or work...maybe 15-20 min.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some good places near Flint that I could look into? Are there any places near Flint that I should definitely NOT look into? And I was actually thinking of moving somewhere in Grand Blanc, so if anyone lives/has lived near there, would that be an okay place to live?
Although I may be moving to Flint in the next few months, I understand concern for safety. Grand Blanc is a great option. I currently live in Knollwood Village Apartments. They're cheap, quiet, beautiful grounds, there's a pool and the maintenance comes through when we call for anything. The buildings are older and have been kept up pretty well, there's a lot of character, unique set ups and town homes available too! As far as apartments go, its great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan