Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

I just got back from Myrtle Beach, things are slowing there. homes are not selling, but it is a far cry from the Michigan economy.
Even thought things are not well there you would call it a boom time for MI.
I can tell you that when I was there the beach was nice at 85F when the same time in MI it was maybe 40 in the day.
I just do not see what MI has to offer any one or thing.
My personal opinion is that we are not going to make a come back to the 90s any time soon.
Maybe ever.
I fear for the whole country, I see so many people who think that things will just come back around. In the 20s the depression was man made, in the 80s the Arab's were ticked off that we supported the Jews in the war and turned off the oil.
This time it is nature, we have peaked out in oil production in the us in 1970, a fact that now is accepted by every geologist, The same Hubbert report said that oil would peak in 2005. It seems that the embargo and since down sizing and drop of usage in the 80s has put this off a few years. It is now though that we are peaking out about now.
The current NEOCON soloution is to drill more find more. From what I have read there has been no large finds for 10 years, the Brazil find has been known of for years it is that just now we have the ability to drill for it, we are also 10 years out to see the first drop of oil.
The Saudi Gov. has found one field in the last 20 years that may produce 1.8 million barrels a day, Iran has peaked out from 6.6 million to 3.4 million a day, the north sea field is on permanent decline and is thought to be dry in 15 years.
I just do not see good times for MI and all the talk about nursing jobs holding the state together is a bit of obtuse thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
Oh, for the love. I can't even reply. I am sick and tired of doom and gloom posts.

Guess what? Some people move here FOR jobs. Yep. We did. And we have a nice life here. We must be the ONLY family, in the entire state of Michigan, to be so lucky. Whew!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Khfar, it's the same semi-literate doppleganger. He posts 95% of the ridiculous, MI-bashing posts on here. Just ignore it.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Khfar, it's the same semi-literate doppleganger. He posts 95% of the ridiculous, MI-bashing posts on here. Just ignore it.
LOL - I should have figured that out. Thanks for the heads up on the "doppleganger" (cracking up)!!

~K

Old 05-03-2008, 09:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
85 is hot! To me that's uncomfortable, I prefer 40 and a comfy sweater. People go on vacation and forget that in normal life you don't get to spend your days at the beach. What is it with the obsession with hot weather anyway. I lived in San Diego, but I still prefer having seasons and enjoying different times of the year.

Is it the same SLD? don't they check IP addresses?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
It's easy enough to get around. Most people do not get static IPs with their ISPs; you get assigned a new dynamic IP each time you are connected, so banning an IP address does not work. You can ban a larger group, but it would keep legit people using the same ISP in the area as the SLD from getting on.

C-D has just about the laxest registration requirements I've seen for a forum. There are many that require you to provide more solid ID than a free email account like hotmail or yahoo. If you don't have a more legit email (e.g. bob@umich.edu, jane@sbcglobal.net, rich@bain.com, etc.), you need to provide a credit card for verification or something similar. Even after registering, new accounts often have restrictions. Here at C-D, there are no restrictions as far as I can tell and you can start posting immediately after registering with a new email account. In fact, I don't think they even require you to activate your account using a verification they send to the email account you registered with!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
It's easy enough to get around. Most people do not get static IPs with their ISPs; you get assigned a new dynamic IP each time you are connected, so banning an IP address does not work. You can ban a larger group, but it would keep legit people using the same ISP in the area as the SLD from getting on.

C-D has just about the laxest registration requirements I've seen for a forum. There are many that require you to provide more solid ID than a free email account like hotmail or yahoo. If you don't have a more legit email (e.g. bob@umich.edu, jane@sbcglobal.net, rich@bain.com, etc.), you need to provide a credit card for verification or something similar. Even after registering, new accounts often have restrictions. Here at C-D, there are no restrictions as far as I can tell and you can start posting immediately after registering with a new email account. In fact, I don't think they even require you to activate your account using a verification they send to the email account you registered with!
Yeah, now that I think about it some other sites I belong to would only accept my cable company email. Oh well, I take everything on here with a grain of salt anyway.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 PM

282 posts, read 1,168,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Oh, for the love. I can't even reply. I am sick and tired of doom and gloom posts.

Guess what? Some people move here FOR jobs. Yep. We did. And we have a nice life here. We must be the ONLY family, in the entire state of Michigan, to be so lucky. Whew!
How about some reality? Don't you read the papers or watch the news or check the stats??? I'm happy you're doing well. For every family still doing well I can show you 10 at least that have suffered/are scared to death b/c of the present economy or the future of the state. I wait with baited breath for your bubble to burst when you're out of work or are told you must take a 50% pay cut. We'll see what you say then.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:25 PM

104 posts, read 374,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
How about some reality? Don't you read the papers or watch the news or check the stats??? I'm happy you're doing well. For every family still doing well I can show you 10 at least that have suffered/are scared to death b/c of the present economy or the future of the state. I wait with baited breath for your bubble to burst when you're out of work or are told you must take a 50% pay cut. We'll see what you say then.

I read the paper and watch the news often. In fact, I read an article in paper that said there were literally hundreds on jobs in MI, none of them in the auto industry though. It's kinda my fav article about this whole thing because it really drove home the point that there is employment, people are just either unwilling or unable to retrain.

I'm no little miss sunshine. Sure things aren't perfect here but it's not the great depression dust bowl either.

There will always be families that are doing great, some that are just okay, and some not making ends meet. Anywhere in the country you'll find people living on that spectrum.

We are happy and comfortable as our friends and family are too. Could my husband lose his job tomorrow? I guess anything is possible but it's pretty unlikely given the type of work and company. And if the "bubble" bursts, well I guess it's a good thing that we've been saving since we were both in college....We'd be able to regroup nicely.

I will always maintain that if you have the right education, skills, networking, etc..that you will do fine here. You would do fine anywhere really.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Keep on waiting. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy being so rude, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan