Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 10:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,920,336 times

Advertisements

Yes, those my governor is an idiot signs are ridiculous. It says a lot about the character of the people who display those signs.

Then again, the name calling comes right from the top. Its embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 11:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,261,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I think those signs are shameful.
Common decency has gone out the window with the name calling, right from the top.

As for the Michigan supreme court (republicans) shutting down Whitmer's executive orders, (that were working no matter what else you think about her) now we have the Michigan Dept of Health and Human Services shutting things down and restricting and enforcing social distancing because we are going to hit 4,000 new cases a day very soon. No more blaming the governor. So who will be the scapegoat now?
I agree about the signs, I would never have one and I think that the people who do have them have never been a governor so....put up or shut up. I didn't mean "LOL" in the sense that I think they're funny, more like "Really??!!"

I also don't fault Whitmer for her handling of the Coronavirus like so many do. I think for someone who is as new to governing as she is and with it being a brand new virus that no one knew anything about she did the best she could, none of it was original or showed great leadership, she basically watched and copied everything that Governor Dewine did in Ohio and he had pretty good outcomes. I do think that she was a bit dictatorial, which I didn't like, and Governor Dewine was not. I guess that's just the difference between experienced and inexperienced.

Common decency, as you alluded to, is what I don't like about her. I think she is hard, angry, and foul mouthed and I don't admire those traits in anyone, regardless of political party. I felt that when they caught her on live mic at the DNC convention muttering, "It's SHARK week, mother****ers!" it degraded her and our entire state. I just don't think that's ok. That has nothing to do with her politics, it has to do with, well, common decency. And if I also don't agree with her on critical issues, most of which I don't, then that is just another reason not to vote for her.

To those of you who would throw up a bunch of other people from the other side of the aisle who are also less than cultured, I would say that I agree and also don't approve of that, but if you are stuck with two less than desirable choices, you go with the one that you agree with on policy and wonder why people on both sides can't act better.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:50 AM

6,558 posts, read 4,188,303 times
I like Whitmer. She would have made a great running mate for Biden.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:48 AM

4,550 posts, read 4,798,534 times
As of late August, 64% of Michigan approve or strongly approve of Whitmer's actions, up from 62% in July.
Detroit News has net approval at +10% last week. 54% approval rating. 59% approve of her as governor. 62% approve of her actions.

Unless you are a republican governor in New England, you are liked less than Whitmer.

VT (Phil Scott): 76% approval
MA (Baker): 68%
NH (Sununu): 63%

vs.

Mississippi: 32%
Montana: 49%
Florida: 29%
Hawaii: 31%

Old 11-02-2020, 03:25 PM

865 posts, read 1,712,134 times
If your poll is heavily sampling Democrats, you'll get a much stronger approval rating of a Democrat governor. She was so "popular" that she had a plot to kidnap her. Of course, this supposed plot was a bunch of people talking crap that were never going to act upon this plot but that didn't stop our highly politicized FBI from acting. Nevertheless -- this doesn't happen to Governors who are actually popular. If she were on the ballot tomorrow, she would not be reelected.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,920,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
She is perceived favorably by a majority of people in Michigan. There is a very vocal, outspoken minority that as said above is some overlapping Venn diagram of individuals that include conservatives, misogynists, anti-government, hardcore Republicans, anti-maskers, pro 2nd amendment types. That and small business owners who were decimated during the lockdowns, although would probably still be hurting regardless due to pandemic).

Some of its partisan politics, some its just how we've historically had an anti-government faction in Michigan.

Overall, I think shes not a decent job at navigating the pandemic. Has she made mistakes? Sure. Have their been ridiculous orders, (yes like the no motorboating thing back in the spring). We were in a better place than the laisse-fare states were but as you can see now its really is all going to end up the same.
"Everybody loves her! Well, except [names seven different groups off the top of his head]."

Saw this same exact logic with Hillary...

Old 11-02-2020, 09:02 PM

104 posts, read 95,358 times
We love Governor Whitmer! Only some “live off the land by the gun folks, have the perception that she is taking away their rights.” It’s really sad the deceived perception. God admonishes us to pray for our leadership weather you like them or not.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:43 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,588,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
If your poll is heavily sampling Democrats, you'll get a much stronger approval rating of a Democrat governor. She was so "popular" that she had a plot to kidnap her. Of course, this supposed plot was a bunch of people talking crap that were never going to act upon this plot but that didn't stop our highly politicized FBI from acting. Nevertheless -- this doesn't happen to Governors who are actually popular. If she were on the ballot tomorrow, she would not be reelected.
Even for those of us who don't think she's great, but just ok, we Michigan people do not like bullies intimidating our elected officials.
You miscalculate the loyalty for one of our own.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:14 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,920,336 times
No, what I'm saying is there is more like something:

20% - Love her
40% - Find her ok / indifferent / just fine
20% - don't care for her
20% - find her intolerable and are the noisy rabble-rousers

Old 11-03-2020, 05:40 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,380,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
No, what I'm saying is there is more like something:

20% - Love her
40% - Find her ok / indifferent / just fine
20% - don't care for her
20% - find her intolerable and are the noisy rabble-rousers
I voted for El Sayed in the primaries.
I know, lot of people were calling me crazy things like “jihadist supporter” for voting a middle eastern guy. But he is actually well experienced on public health, which is something that Michigan is lacking and could improve upon.
Also, I live in the Detroit suburbs, and there are lot of people from Israel and Lebanon over here. They are quite well assimilated with american culture and don’t cause problems. In fact, they have positively contributed to the society as doctors, engineers, and business owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan