Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:24 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

https://a2tc.org/

These would be on currently operational tracks that are sometimes used by freight and are already owned by the state of Michigan. Acquiring train right-of-way is usually the most expensive part about getting a passenger rail setup, but fortunately doesn't need to happen for this proposal. The initial speeds are a modest 60 mph, but could be upgraded in the future. Too bad that the initial proposal doesn't include Detroit--the FAQ doesn't even mention it though it does mention Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 01:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Living 4 years in and around Mt Pleasant, I don't think I ever saw a train use those tracks. The crossing don't even have gates! Just lights. It also cuts through campus, so that'll be interesting.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Awesome! We will be able to look at all the closed restaurants and bars in Petosky and TC. Maybe it will stop in Charlevoix too. They have some really nice closed restaurants too. In Petosky you can look in the windows of the closed chocolate factory. What a trip!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:13 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Awesome! We will be able to look at all the closed restaurants and bars in Petosky and TC. Maybe it will stop in Charlevoix too. They have some really nice closed restaurants too. In Petosky you can look in the windows of the closed chocolate factory. What a trip!
It'd be a true ****up if this country still can't get the pandemic under control by 2025. There are several countries that were able to do a coordinated national effort to reign things under control that we for some reason can't manage to do so, but to keep that going for another 5 years? We'd have to be truly idiotic.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I'm kind of curious if the benefit would outweigh the cost. Unless someone is just planning to hang around downtown Traverse City or Petoskey then they would either need a car or have to Uber everywhere. Would the cost of train fare and a rental car or Uber be worth avoiding a four hour drive in your own car? It wouldn't be worth it for me, because when we go up there we want to see more than just the city and having our own car would be cheaper and easier than a rental car or Uber. We do take Amtrak to Chicago from time to time, but that's completely different, you can spend days just in downtown Chicago without needing a car.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It'd be a true ****up if this country still can't get the pandemic under control by 2025. There are several countries that were able to do a coordinated national effort to reign things under control that we for some reason can't manage to do so, but to keep that going for another 5 years? We'd have to be truly idiotic.
We are only on Covid 19. They will be on Covid 24 by then.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm kind of curious if the benefit would outweigh the cost. Unless someone is just planning to hang around downtown Traverse City or Petoskey then they would either need a car or have to Uber everywhere. Would the cost of train fare and a rental car or Uber be worth avoiding a four hour drive in your own car? It wouldn't be worth it for me, because when we go up there we want to see more than just the city and having our own car would be cheaper and easier than a rental car or Uber. We do take Amtrak to Chicago from time to time, but that's completely different, you can spend days just in downtown Chicago without needing a car.
From TC, Petosky or Charlevoix, you can access a lot of nice beaches as well as each town having an awesome downtown and some other attractions. Would you want to spend ten days there with no car? No, but 3-5 days would be very nice. IN TC you have another weeks'worth of Kitsch touristy crap too.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
The fact there is existing, operational track is the only way this even becomes even potentially feasible.
MDOT owns the track. There are very few trains that use the track northward of Alma. Maybe a train a week at best up to service some industries and lumber yards between Alma and Cadillac. The track from Cadillac up to Traverse City and Petoskey is used very, very, infrequently.

The Steam Railroad Institute (SRI) in Owosso would periodically run sight-seeing / leaf color trains that departed Owosso and went up to Petoskey. These were special one-off trips a few times a year.

I question the value and utility of the train service for the reasons mentioned above.
The other two problems are:
1) traveling with gear - when people go up north they often take a lot of recreational gear & equipment. Bikes, kayaks, camping gear, ORVs, etc. Not to mention needing clothing to cover all 4 seasons, even in the middle of summer. Stuff that doesn't travel well via train

2) The last mile. People still need to get to their end destination, whether that be hotels, STRS, cabins, or family vacation properties in other locations on lakes, etc. You would still need someone to pick you up. Northern Michigan, unless saying put exactly in the downtown area of the destination cities heavily relies upon an automobile to get around. Ride-share is far and few between in many areas in Northern Michigan.

Not sure I see this more than periodic excursion trips.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:24 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yes, does Traverse City have any sort of public transportation? Will travelers want to drive to A2 and find/pay for a place to park while they're gone? Is this going to be a direct "express" route, or will it stop in other towns along the way (IOW, people will be able to use it to get to places besides TC)? Do enough people really want to go to TC, from the metro Detroit area, on a regular basis to make it worth their while?

Old 11-26-2020, 08:59 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
Not a terribly useful line. What would be of major benefit is a train line connecting Detroit to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. This might actually have some demand since there is business travel between the 3 and a intercity train to Cleveland and Pittsburgh downtown would be able to connect with the bus and light rail systems. Certainly beats driving through Ohio in lake effect snow.
I’d rather vacation up north with my car. I prefer not to have the stress of driving in downtown or crowded interstate in heavy snow though, and that’s where a train makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan