Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 06:22 AM

610 posts, read 263,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
People should make a fuss about the closures. How come Texas, FL, Ohio etc can live somewhat normal lives yet Michigan can’t? Even with the businesses closures I stated above that were 32 percent in MI. Why was that needed when the average was 19 percent? Whitmer like stated above went too extreme
At this point, I agree. It's also a bit naïve to think that just because places like restaurants are closed that everyone automatically reverts back to sheltering in place. No- that gathering that was going to take place at the restaurant just ends up taking place at a private residence instead so all you really have to show for it is a bunch of unemployed people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 02:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
And just because a restaurant is open doesn’t mean everyone is going out to eat either. I just had my first restaurant meal in more than a year last weekend to celebrate vaccine jailbreak day. Plenty of Floridians, particularly the elderly, locked themselves down until vaccination because of the states poor covid control policies.

A cousin’s kid in Grand Rapids is down hard with covid, but fortunately not needing hospital level care. D1 athlete who graduated in 2020 so she really doesn’t fit the narrative of ‘if you’re young and healthy, it’s not a bad as a cold’

Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
If I had to live I would relocate.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And just because a restaurant is open doesn’t mean everyone is going out to eat either. I just had my first restaurant meal in more than a year last weekend to celebrate vaccine jailbreak day. Plenty of Floridians, particularly the elderly, locked themselves down until vaccination because of the states poor covid control policies.

A cousin’s kid in Grand Rapids is down hard with covid, but fortunately not needing hospital level care. D1 athlete who graduated in 2020 so she really doesn’t fit the narrative of ‘if you’re young and healthy, it’s not a bad as a cold’
COVID-19 will not impact everyone the same. There will always be outliers as there is with any illness. 78% of those hospitalized are overweight or obese. I have heard a whopping 94% of COVID-19 deaths are those with underlying morbidities.

Lock downs failed in MI and elsewhere.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:24 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
School sports is a huge part of the problem. There was no justification for reopening inter-school events. They could have just had intramural events with no live spectators. I wonder what the overlap is between the parents who pushed for reopening school sports, those who refuse to wear masks, those who still claim the pandemic is a hoax, and anti-vaxxers. Their selfishness and willful ignorance is costing lives, and then they blame Whitmer when the state rockets to #1 in COVID cases.

Quote:
In late February, a variant outbreak struck Grand Ledge High School following a basketball game with another school as 11 students got infected. The cases were reported five days before the school was slated to begin partial in-person instruction, with 50% of students going to class two days a week.

More outbreaks followed.

The football team at Olivet College got hit. So did Thornapple Kellogg and Eaton Rapids high schools, along with a day care, a towing company, a sheet metal contractor and an e-tax office in Eaton County.

As health officials across the state strategized on how to deal with out-of-control outbreaks in schools and on youth sports teams, one Saginaw health official reported that school superintendents in late March were fighting to relax quarantine for sports teams from 10 days to seven.

The health officials didn’t bend and stuck to 10 days.

At the same time, another medical officer from St. Clair County said people there were pushing to relax social distancing guidance from 6 feet to 3 feet, similar to Ohio — though health officials refused, noting the county had been notified of a fifth variant case at a junior high school and a 19.3% positivity rate.

School sports have also turned into a sore spot for medical experts given what the data shows. Since January, the state has seen at least 1,091 COVID-19 cases involving K-12 sports, which resumed following a "let-them-play' crusade led by scores of parents and students over the winter. Basketball, hockey and wrestling saw the most infections.
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/7301291002/

Old 04-22-2021, 08:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
School sports is a huge part of the problem. There was no justification for reopening inter-school events. They could have just had intramural events with no live spectators. I wonder what the overlap is between the parents who pushed for reopening school sports, those who refuse to wear masks, those who still claim the pandemic is a hoax, and anti-vaxxers. Their selfishness and willful ignorance is costing lives, and then they blame Whitmer when the state rockets to #1 in COVID cases.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/7301291002/
So, the other states do not have these hoards of selfish people? They do not have sports? Are the people in states that do not require masks or social distancing selfish for no wearing masks? If interschool sports was a bad idea, was shipping covid patients across the state in busses also a bad idea? What about putting covid patients into rehab centers and senior care facilities in many different locations?

Actually I think what is actually going on is the high school football teams run out and buy caulk or paint after winning a game and get Covid from the paint aisle in large stores. We need to force them back into smaller stores again. Buying caulk in large stores is causing a surge. Some of them also probably went fishing in a covid infested motor boat instead of a safe canoe.

Or maybe, they really do not know what is causing a surge and it is just anyone's WAG. Of course they cannot just say "we have no idea" because that might look bad and would make it hard to justify destroying the small businesses (other than small paint stores).

Old 04-22-2021, 09:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Actually I think what is actually going on is the high school football teams run out and buy caulk or paint after winning a game and get Covid from the paint aisle in large stores. We need to force them back into smaller stores again. Buying caulk in large stores is causing a surge.
My local Ace hardware store has a sign on the front door that says "Our paint and caulk is COVID-free !"

Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
State locks down => people aren't exposed => people don't build immunity => state opens up => people are exposed => people get the virus => state locks down => ... That's why the lock downs never made any sense. We should be grateful vaccines were developed so fast or this insanity would have just continued indefinitely.
This. This 100%.

There has been a shift in messaging from public health experts. At first is was all about, not reducing the number of cases, but spreading them out so that our health care system wouldnt get overwhelmed. Now, it seems the goal seems to be eliminating spread all together. The later isnt realistic. This virus will always be with us, but the goal should be to make it an annoyance instead of a threat.

Im personally frustrated that there isnt a much more clear distinction in guidelines between those that have been fully vaccinated vs. those that havent. Saying "Ive been vaccinated but Im still too scared to do anything" is frankly freaking ridiculous. The odds of getting serious illness after being fully vaccinated are 408 out of 77,000,000! The risks you take doing the most mundane things are far more dangerous.

And yes, vaccines do seriously clamp down on transmission.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...on-of-covid-19

Either you believe in vaccines or you dont. Getting vaccinated but still refusing to do anything is a clear sign you dont.

In all honesty Im done with it. Ive had Covid, Ive been fully vaccinated, and thats all there is to it. Ill still wear a mask when I go into businesses but thats as far as Ill go.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Its been interesting the past week or two.

I know several people who have gotten COVID in the past 3-4 weeks, and the common link or thing I've heard is that one of their kids likely brought it home from school / sports. Almost all have teenage / high school aged kids who tested positive and gave it to their parents, and then a few downstream people got it from said parents.

The people will all be fine, the adults are 40s, their kids 13-18. They said they were just really wiped-out for 2-3 days, like couldn't too much, slept a lot, no energy, fever, but then bounced back.

I know at the local high school, they had over 100 kids on quarantine the first week of April and over 30 positive cases. Pretty much the whole baseball team tested positive.

I was down in Florida last weekend and its interesting down there. The media likes to paint the place as this COVID-infested wreckless wasteland. The reality is, from what I saw there are the people just like here that go out and party at the beach/bars but there are a lot of people who take it very seriously. When you get away from the tourist areas, like we were staying with family down there that live in a normal area, they are masking and taking all precautions. I was shocked it was no different than what you see here in the grocery store, out and about, and a lot of older people keeping their distance and still wearing N95s even when just going for a walk around the neighboorhood.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:54 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Its been interesting the past week or two.

I know several people who have gotten COVID in the past 3-4 weeks, and the common link or thing I've heard is that one of their kids likely brought it home from school / sports. Almost all have teenage / high school aged kids who tested positive and gave it to their parents, and then a few downstream people got it from said parents.

The people will all be fine, the adults are 40s, their kids 13-18. They said they were just really wiped-out for 2-3 days, like couldn't too much, slept a lot, no energy, fever, but then bounced back.

I know at the local high school, they had over 100 kids on quarantine the first week of April and over 30 positive cases. Pretty much the whole baseball team tested positive.

I was down in Florida last weekend and its interesting down there. The media likes to paint the place as this COVID-infested wreckless wasteland. The reality is, from what I saw there are the people just like here that go out and party at the beach/bars but there are a lot of people who take it very seriously. When you get away from the tourist areas, like we were staying with family down there that live in a normal area, they are masking and taking all precautions. I was shocked it was no different than what you see here in the grocery store, out and about, and a lot of older people keeping their distance and still wearing N95s even when just going for a walk around the neighboorhood.
In Texas, cases dropped like a rock after all the restrictions dropped. A big part of that is because so many people here have already had it. But (unfortunately for me), it makes Greg Abbott look like the guy who did it right. It was a political gamble and he won.

The mask mandates that exist half work. It depends on where you live. In Houston, people still wear masks. In Lubbock, they never did even when the mandate existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan