Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 AM

13 posts, read 30,360 times

Advertisements

I finally made it as a senior in college. I have worked my ass off the last four years. I have not left the state since I started college and I went to Orlando Florida that year, where I periodically go for vacation. I am tired of our long cold winters. I do not want to be here another winter. I hate going outside a half hour before work or school to brush off my car in the blistering cold. I hate shoveling snow off my drive way every day the whole winter. Being in the same bubble for awhile really gets old. I am thinking about moving to Florida after I graduate. Being surrounded by warm weather and Palm trees is the life for me!! Any one else feel like they need a "vacation" away from Michigan for a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,727 times
Default getting away.

I did the same thing in the 80s when the auto industry went in the dumper and the state followed. It bounced back in the 90s but I do not think it will this time.
The age of us auto dominance is over.
I will say that if you move to Florida do this is a great time to go. home prices are dropping, not as much as Michigan but dropping. You can buy a home there and be in control and that has not happened in many years.
That said Florida is Florida, and there is nothing like it in the states, it will make a come back because people like the warm winters and palm trees.
Do not think of the good weather in Michigan and forget the crap 6 months of cold wet garbage in Michigan. Florida is a state that will always for forward. People from all over the world visit and love Florida. Michigan.... Not so much.
You would be making a good move.
The best thing to do is once you are there for a year or so and want to visit the poor souls back in the devils state, go in the winter and refresh your memory as to why you left.
I will sober you up as to why you do not want to live there. LOL

Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsszyman View Post
I finally made it as a senior in college. I have worked my ass off the last four years. I have not left the state since I started college and I went to Orlando Florida that year, where I periodically go for vacation. I am tired of our long cold winters. I do not want to be here another winter. I hate going outside a half hour before work or school to brush off my car in the blistering cold. I hate shoveling snow off my drive way every day the whole winter. Being in the same bubble for awhile really gets old. I am thinking about moving to Florida after I graduate. Being surrounded by warm weather and Palm trees is the life for me!! Any one else feel like they need a "vacation" away from Michigan for a bit?

So the Florida *bubble* wont get old? To me it would. No 4 seasons, hurricanes, no fall colors, pretty much the same weather day after day, yuck! Give me Michigan over any place in the world!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,352 times
Flake, I guess every place has someone who loves it. The thing is values go way up the more people who love it. Michigan does not have to many people who just love it. And most of them are people who were born there and would love home if they were born in Greenland. LOL
There are some people who love lutefisk,and blood sausage. People can be idiots. LOL

Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We moved to OC CA out of college. It was wonderful and magical at first. It took about ten years and five children for it to get old. Still, it is probably one of the best places in the world if you are between 22 and 25 with no kids. Yes, the chram does wear off after a whiel any you will probabyl want to come back, but I certainly understand the desire to get away. Just be prepared. Not everything about warmer places is better. You will get tired of it eventually.

If you have a good job, it may be better to live here and visit other places as often as possible. Your dollar goes a lot further here so you can afford more and better vacations. Living somewhere warm and being stuck at home all the time becuase of the cost of housing is not that terrific.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,352 times
Give Michigan ten years and I am sure the luster you seem to see in it will fall off.
I lived there for 40 years and can tell you that there is nothing I have not done or seen in Michigan. Nothing I miss that can not be seen in other parts of the country except snow. And I do not miss that for one second.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
You can see snow in other parts of the country by the way. Kind of a lame argument really.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Life isn't a vacation unless you are wealthy. Most Floridians don't spend those extremley hot humid summers at the beach, they have go to work. Hurricanes are no vacation. I lived in SoCal which has much better weather than Florida and it does get old. To each his own, but Florida in the summer is my nightmare. During winter you can put on a coat and get warm. Living in other places is great, I encourage it, but people do forget real life is not a vacation.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,533 times
There are people that love snow, and don't like having their shirt soaking with sweat from the extreme heat and humidity. I've been to Orlando many times, and I know the traffic is terrible, traveling through I-4 will take 2 hours in the Orlando area. Maybe you just don't spent enough time exploring what this state has to offer. Go up north, take a vacation.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,449 times
I lived in the north part of Michigan most of my life. Cold in the winter, Nothing to do in the summer. Some people love it, but not many or homes would be selling. I have a sister who is trying to sell here home worth 160 thousand a few years ago, now she is not able to get 120 thousand. I think she would have to price it at 90 thousand and she is stunned. She is holding her ground but I think this is a big mistake. I sold out last year at this time and thought I was getting robbed, but now it looks like I got out just in the nick of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan