Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM

186 posts, read 570,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
This is so very true. I lived out west most my life, now live here in MI. When I first saw pics of the beaches I was floored! I had NO idea. And I've been to WI many times. I find MI to be incredibly beautiful (not to mention the dunes too and forests). The sand is so pristine it is better than the beaches in San Diego that I've been to.

I don't think many people born and raised here realize how MI compares to other states in its beauty, AND I don't think other states have a clue what MI is! Some day I imagine this will be a big travel destination - not that I want to be overrun with tourists anytime soon.
You're right, the sand is the most impressive attribute. It's as good as sand gets, IMHO. We're going to go on a dune ride on our next visit. Never done that before but I bet it's fun.

Living in Ohio, people think that "the state up north" is a bad place because of football (OSU rivalry vs University of MI). In my conversations with Ohioans I've asked if they've been to MI and the reply is, "I'll never step foot in that state."

It drives me bonkers that so many have such a shallow mindset but whatever. If they want to miss out on a PERFECT beach experience and all the other great things MI has to offer, then that's their problem. All of us others can just enjoy and revel in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
In my conversations with Ohioans I've asked if they've been to MI and the reply is, "I'll never step foot in that state."

It drives me bonkers that so many have such a shallow mindset but whatever. If they want to miss out on a PERFECT beach experience and all the other great things MI has to offer, then that's their problem. All of us others can just enjoy and revel in it.
Thats fine with us here in Michigan....the beaches are crowded enough. If you have never been up the west coast, you are in for one hell of a treat!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
You're right, the sand is the most impressive attribute. It's as good as sand gets, IMHO. We're going to go on a dune ride on our next visit. Never done that before but I bet it's fun.

Living in Ohio, people think that "the state up north" is a bad place because of football (OSU rivalry vs University of MI). In my conversations with Ohioans I've asked if they've been to MI and the reply is, "I'll never step foot in that state."

Who did you ask who said that? Did you follow up with a "why?" We were up near Traverse City this weekend and around Torch Lake and you couldn't throw a stone w/o hitting a car with Ohio (or Illinois) license plates. Apparently there are quite a few smart Ohioans.

*Just a figment of speech, we would never throw rocks at cars.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Torch Lake, Grass River, Clam River, Antrim County and surrounding areas.

East Arm of Traverse Bay from Cairns Hwy, 45th Parallel area:

45th Parallel Monument and Trail, 1/2 way between the equator and the North Pole:

Clam River, Dockside (bar) and Torch Lake in the distance:

Alden Michigan in the early morn:

Stats on the "monster" Torch Lake. That's right, 297 feet deep!!!

Torch Lake at Torch River, in the early morning:

Northern Michigan farmland, Antrim County (Traverse Bay in the distance):

Torch Lake near Eastport:

Torch Lake sunset this past Saturday:

Clam River looking out at Torch Lake, near Dockside (the white cottage to the right of the tree was built for Eminem):

Grass River (between Lake Bellaire and Clam Lake):

Grass River:

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Great pics! Man I love Michigan!!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 AM

113 posts, read 297,002 times
Michigan is the best state of all time!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM

528 posts, read 885,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Do it! You wont be sorry!!!
LOL, I was counting on my son's daredevil friend to want to tackle Big Mac, but alas, they are all about the airsoft.

In all fairness, big boy's two friends are here for 7 days (5 days of play, travel days just don't really count, do they?). Not as much airsoft time as they might have hoped for.

I would dearly love to go stay at the Grand Hotel sometime....

I'm sure I'll get the courage to go over. The family keeps begging, I'm the only fraidy-cat ole' stick in the mud too chicken to go over. My husband keeps saying if we didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all, so I guess you could say I'm doing a public service. What if my bad luck struck at the wrong time? Think of all the innocent victims that would be punished right along with me. Mebbe I should just stay far away from that bridge, as a kindness to the good people trying to cross it....

You're not buying that argument? Yeah, my men aren't either....

hmmm, gonna have to work on that a bit...

Those pictures to present a compelling case for visiting Macinac and for how spectacular the view must be from atop Big Mac.... Wow. Looks like you had a Grand time.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
LOL, I was counting on my son's daredevil friend to want to tackle Big Mac, but alas, they are all about the airsoft.

In all fairness, big boy's two friends are here for 7 days (5 days of play, travel days just don't really count, do they?). Not as much airsoft time as they might have hoped for.

I would dearly love to go stay at the Grand Hotel sometime....

I'm sure I'll get the courage to go over. The family keeps begging, I'm the only fraidy-cat ole' stick in the mud too chicken to go over. My husband keeps saying if we didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all, so I guess you could say I'm doing a public service. What if my bad luck struck at the wrong time? Think of all the innocent victims that would be punished right along with me. Mebbe I should just stay far away from that bridge, as a kindness to the good people trying to cross it....

You're not buying that argument? Yeah, my men aren't either....

hmmm, gonna have to work on that a bit...

Those pictures to present a compelling case for visiting Macinac and for how spectacular the view must be from atop Big Mac.... Wow. Looks like you had a Grand time.
What is it about going across the Mackinaw Bridge that you're afraid of? It is so incredibly breathtaking the first time you go over it. I think I was 4 or 5 and still remember it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
If you don't want to drive over The Bridge, just call (906-643-7600) and take advantage of their free drivers assistance program. They will have somebody drive your vehicle over to the other side. Then do what my wife does when I drive over... she sits there with her eyes clamped shut and doesn't open them until we are clear of the bridge. The kids on the other hand want to roll down the windows and have me drive over the grate section so they can see down through the roadbed to the water below.

Quote:
From the bridge website
What if I am not comfortable about driving across the bridge?
Answer:
The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a "Drivers Assistance Program" that provides drivers for those uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. If you are traveling northbound, there is a phone at the south end of the bridge. Instructions for using the phone are posted in the phone box. If you are southbound, just ask a fare collector for assistance. There is no additional fee for this service.
~~~~~~~~~
Where is the phone located?
Answer:
The phone is located on the shoulder of I-75 just north of the Jamet Street exit to Mackinaw City (near Audies Restaurant). You do not need to exit the freeway. Just past the exit, you can pull over to the right and park on the shoulder. The phone box is located on the right-of-way fencing. The box is green and easily spotted. If this is still unclear, please call us at 906-643-7600.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,088 times
Michmoldman, nice pics! I'd love to go here one of these days. How cold does it get here in the summer, I noticed people wearing jackets and hoodies, at the same time wearing shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan