Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,286 times

Advertisements

I'm a Michigander, but recently feel I dont know my own state.I grew up in Ferndale,went to Hazel Park School.Moved over to Warren,where my son attended East Detroit H.S. He now goes to UofM.He commutes to both the Dearborn and Ann Arbor Campuses.Im looking to buy a house that's about 30 mins from both school.Alot of area that were nice in the 90's are now considered "ghetto" rough,and high in Crime. With a Budget of around $125,000,or so wheres the best place to live? Heard Inkster,Ecorse,Westland,Redford,Redford twsp,Taylor,Ypsilanti and Romulus were all bad and terrible places to live.Schools are bad,home values decrese,high in crime, so where is a middle ground area?Seen some nice homes in Van Buren anyone have any idea about the area,or a decent area near by.Im a single mom,my son attends UofM ,for pre-med.We are a quite family, looking for nice quite nbr hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Why name Taylor ~Taylor Tucky

Also,had a question about when did Taylor,get the nickname "Taylor ~Tucky" I grew up in Ferndale,went to Hazel Park School district.Back then everyone called Hazel Park "Hazel-Tucky" now the name has been passed onto Taylor? In the market area noticed Taylor went down and Hazel Park is suddenly "up in coming" Hazel Park has been the same,far as I'm concerned last 20yrs.So why suddenly is it nicer to live in H.P. then Taylor?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Parts of Ypsi are nice. You just have to choose carefully and stay away from the bad parts.

Parts of Romulus are basically farm country and are not bad.

Huron Township is very nice IMO.

Livonia, especially northern Livonia is nice.

Westland is not terrible. It is very middle class and the place with the most affordable apartments for people starting out.

New Boston I am not sure about. It is hard to tell when you are there and I do not go int hat direction very often.

The village of Willow is cute and seems decent. I am not sure what schools are like.

Inkster, Ecorse, Redford, are definitely bad. None of these places were very nice in the 1990s either. Redford Township has reportedly gotten bad too but some people deny that. I wold avoid Wayne too. However I have heard good things about Costa's Villiage tavern since its reopening.

Taylor is Taylor, not horrible but certainly not nice either. Kind of lower middle class and middle middle class. It is commonly referred to as Taylortucky. It has pockets that are pretty bad and pockets that are pretty decent.

For upper middle/middle class mix, safer and better schools look at Plymouth, Northville South Lyon/Lyon Township, Brighton, Canton. Also all of their townships.

Ann Arbor is very nice, but if you are not going to be within walking/bicycling of downtown, I see no reason to pay the premium for an Ann Arbor address. There are cheaper and equally nice ares literally across the street, or just a little way away. The Village of Dixborough just outside Ann Arbor is pretty neat IMO. Salem also, but Salem has a big dump.

Southgate and Allen Park are not bad. Not great, but decent. Woodhaven is nicerbut basically suburban sprawl like Canton. Trenton is nice. Wyandotte has a neat and fun downtown, but not the best schools and a slightly higher but still not terrible crime rate.

Dearborn is mostly nice. It has some not so nice parts, avoid those. Dearborn Heights is medium decent. about the same level ad Garden Grove and Westland.

Bellville is well located for you, but I do not know much about it. I know people who live there who say it is great and people who live there who say it is terrible. I have never explored it.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 08-08-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Thankyou, yes looking to buy a house outside of Ann Arbor in between Ann Arbor and Dearborn.Hard to find a decent area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live in.As a cash buying homeowner, dont wanna put a bid on wrong home,and get stuck in wrong area.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 AM

17 posts, read 63,510 times
Your best bet is to find a good local realtor who can help you scout out decent locations in your price range. They will know where you can get the best bang for your buck so to speak. There are some nice areas in Redford still. You might find something in Westland as well, but the prices are going up. If you can up your price range a bit, you will find more options.

Also, if you consider a condo, you may have more options in areas like Westland or Livonia.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 5,170 times
Stay away from Ecorse, Inkster, and Lincoln Park.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylez78 View Post
Thankyou, yes looking to buy a house outside of Ann Arbor in between Ann Arbor and Dearborn.Hard to find a decent area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live in.As a cash buying homeowner, dont wanna put a bid on wrong home,and get stuck in wrong area.
Plymouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan