Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times

Advertisements

"Most kids that are enrolled at UM are from larger cities outside of Michigan and the U.S."

Doncha think this comment, in itself, kinda proves UM/A2’s "arrogant" full-of-themselves thing? … In point of fact, most "kids" enrolled in UM are from Michigan; 67%. A significantly lower proportion than MSU (where 85% are from in-state) but, still, UMers mostly Michiganders despite Wolverines' lofty fantasy that Ann Arbor is made up wholly of New Yorkers, Brits and Parisians..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
As the discussion heats up, remember to respect each other, ok ?
Thanks.
Yac.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Default Okay...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcat View Post
I guess the education does not amount to much when you don't have reading comprehension.

Did you catch where I qualify each figure with resident and non-resident status? You obviously cannot do research either - my 2008-2009 figures are straight from the U of M office of financial aid. University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid: Cost of Attendance Research means to look up the latest figures, by the way.

To the OP, read the previous post. Do you sense the arrogant, condescending attitude in it? Imagine being surrounded by such people 24/7 - Ann Arbor drips with this misplaced sense of superiority. People who think they're part divine for attending an overrated STATE school.
I'm not sure what thought your trying to leave us with...all of your posts indicate that you have a sense of a "all knowing divinity" in yourself. You state "Ann arbor drips with a misplaced of superiority." How did you come to that conclusion, and...if you are god why are you still on this Earth? Can you generalize everybody into a small self centered attitude? Are you afraid of jumping into a pool of people that maybe somebody is more qualified than you? What the world needs less of is generalizations that breed ignorance and falsify reality. Stay positive would you?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Go to the two places. See what each is like. See what the people are like. It will not be a dififcult decision. IMO East Lansing is a great place if you are in school there. Not a place that I can see many people choosing over AA if they are out of school.

In the statistical discussion, you need to include the graduate schools since they make up a huge part of the student body. that may well change the U-M percentages somewhat.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM

45 posts, read 275,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Chow!
HAHAHA, this signoff cracks me up. You know it's ciao, right? Ann Arbor, home of the pseudo-sophisticates of MI. Must be that $5 cup of Italian joe speaking.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 PM

104 posts, read 417,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcat View Post
HAHAHA, this signoff cracks me up. You know it's ciao, right? Ann Arbor, home of the pseudo-sophisticates of MI. Must be that $5 cup of Italian joe speaking.
Wow, I don't think I'm a pseudo-sophisticate... I consider myself an average joe. I shop at Meijer and Target, and drink coffee from Speedway. True, there are a number of people from Ann Arbor that fit that profile, but most of us aren't that way. There are still those of us working blue-collar service jobs, we're not all UM profs pulling down $125k a year, living in Stonebridge, and driving a BMW M-F and the Jag on the weekends. Sure, U-M may be overrated, but it does provide a lot of jobs and health care for this city. There are plenty of negatives about the U also, but the fact is, they do provide a lot of employment for this area. Even us pseudo-sophisticates need jobs too!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 PM

45 posts, read 275,996 times
Well, at least know that it's spelled "ciao" before throwing it around like you're some jet-setting socialite. Better yet, visit Italy a couple times too.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:14 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
I'll admit, this thread has gotten off track into a U-M bashfest, which it shouldn't have. Guess it just goes to show how deeply embedded the MSU/UM rivalry thing is; in one way or another, it always comes out. Fact is UM's an excellent school, as is MSU in its own right. Both make the State of Michigan proud to have such a state U 1-2 punch. Both have influences on its respective towns, which was the Q of the OP in the 1st place although, quite obviously, Lansing being a larger metro/area, state capital city, with East Lansing as a suburb, is much less influenced by MSU than Ann Arbor by U-M, as A2 is the lone small city (at the edge of Detroit's metro area) with really no industry other than the U-M and U-M influenced research companies... Both places have lots to offer in terms of arts, entertainment, culture and standards of living-- although the latter will be more diverse in metro Lansing, for sure.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 AM

25 posts, read 98,837 times
I've lived in Kalamazoo for most of my life and went to MSU for college. I'd recommend Lansing without hesitation. It's a city with a nice, welcoming feeling and there is plenty to do around town. Ann Arbor is a nice place as well but it's got a very different aura...it basically comes down to what you're most comfortable with.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Hey...if they had the winter beer fest in old town again I'd be happy to go to Lansing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan