U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are planning to move from the West coast to Michigan. One of the areas we are looking at is Lapper. The houses we are looking at are outside of town, as we like large lots with lots of trees.

As I read a few threads here I get a mixed feeling about the area. We have a traditional mindset (traditional family values, quiet living style, etc.), but we are also looking for a place with an open-minded culture that is accepting of different cultures, friendly to new comers, etc. We dislike screaming diesel jacked-up 4x4's black-smoking sidewalk diners as they sprint through downtown thinking this is the coolest thing ever.

Any comments on this as far as Lapeer goes?

One big requirement for us is safety. Lapeer seems pretty good for that, especially outside of town, and several cities around (except Flint) are actually better. So this looks ok.

We also need access to important services. On City-Data I could not find much information on major hospitals near by. What is the nearest and how good is it? What about quick urgent care clinics? Are there a few in the city and are they good?

We like eating healthy. We buy a lot of organic produce. Currently we get our organic produce from a mix of Costco, decent groceries that have a good selection and a weekly home delivery service for organic produce that is mostly supplied by local farmers. Do you think a similar model could work in the Lapeer area? I see that the closest Costco is in Auburn Hills, about 20 miles South. So that would be fine for us.

We are getting away from West coast mostly because of risks of wild fires, and we certainly don't want to trade that risk for another. So for mid-west, we are looking at risks of tornadoes. I was surprised to see that in Lapeer the risks are 28% higher than the national average. On the other hand, in Capac, only ~20 miles east, it is right at the national average. Any comment on how I can translate these numbers into human-level experience living there? Is the risk of tornadoes affecting how people live and their level of stress?

I read a few things about contaminated city water in some of the towns in the area. Was that ever an issue in Lapeer? I suspect we will be getting our water from a well. Assuming we have a good filtration system, does that take care of it?

Sorry for the long message.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 01:40 PM

7,083 posts, read 6,078,668 times
I've family that lives in the Oxford/Lake Orion area, and a brother who lived for a bit in Grand Blanc. I don't know Lapeer itself, but relatives sometimes went up there for some local shopping.

There's a hospital in Lapeer, McLaren Lapeer Region Hospital, but I only know it from Google Maps. Hospitals in small town tend to be small themselves and IMO don't attract the top notch doctors and surgeons. The closest other hospitals that will be larger and probably better will be found in Flint, in Grand Blanc, and way farther south in West Bloomfield, Rochester, and Troy. Flint and Grand Blanc will be closer than the Auburn Hills Costco that you noted, the others are much farther away.

North and east of Lapeer is all farming. I want to say its mostly commercial farming - sugar beets and such. Perhaps not much opportunity to purchase carrots and lettuce from the locals, but what do I know. Google shows that Lapeer has two farmer markets, as well as a Walmart, a Meijer's and a Kroger's - one of them should have organic produce if that's what you're looking for.

As for tornadoes - it's Michigan. If you want to move to Michigan and minimize tornado risk, move to the UP. Otherwise, just pick a place north of Grand Rapids/Lansing/Metro Detroit that's not Flint, Saginaw, or Bay City. The last time I heard of a tornado affecting someone I knew personally was last summer in Armada, and it was over in a matter of minutes. The clean-up took a while longer. Prior to that, I'd have to reach back to the 1980s for another such occurrence. You can hide in your basement from an oncoming tornado, not so sure you can hide from an oncoming forest fire.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:11 AM

197 posts, read 137,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenOfTheWoodz View Post
Hi everyone!
We have a traditional mindset (traditional family values, quiet living style, etc.), but we are also looking for a place with an open-minded culture that is accepting of different cultures, friendly to new comers, etc. We dislike screaming diesel jacked-up 4x4's black-smoking sidewalk diners as they sprint through downtown thinking this is the coolest thing ever.
Lapeer is in MAGA country. The town has a small Black population, but the surrounding area is very white and very conservative. I don't think it's the sort of place that is accepting of different cultures.

Quote:
One big requirement for us is safety. Lapeer seems pretty good for that, especially outside of town, and several cities around (except Flint) are actually better. So this looks ok.
I'm sure Lapeer is quite safe, but a lot of small towns in Michigan have problems with opioid use.

Quote:
We also need access to important services. On City-Data I could not find much information on major hospitals near by. What is the nearest and how good is it? What about quick urgent care clinics? Are there a few in the city and are they good?
If being close to a hospital is important to you, I'd look south into the Lake Orion/Oxford/Romeo area. There's a major-ish hospital in Rochester that's part of the Ascension system.

Quote:
We like eating healthy. We buy a lot of organic produce. Currently we get our organic produce from a mix of Costco, decent groceries that have a good selection and a weekly home delivery service for organic produce that is mostly supplied by local farmers. Do you think a similar model could work in the Lapeer area? I see that the closest Costco is in Auburn Hills, about 20 miles South. So that would be fine for us.
I don't think organic farming is really a thing in the Thumb. Perhaps more so around the Ann Arbor area. There is a farmer's market in the summer in Lapeer.

Quote:
We are getting away from West coast mostly because of risks of wild fires, and we certainly don't want to trade that risk for another. So for mid-west, we are looking at risks of tornadoes. I was surprised to see that in Lapeer the risks are 28% higher than the national average. On the other hand, in Capac, only ~20 miles east, it is right at the national average. Any comment on how I can translate these numbers into human-level experience living there? Is the risk of tornadoes affecting how people live and their level of stress?
The risk of tornadoes in Lapeer is no better or worse than anywhere else in Michigan. Tornadoes are a thing, but Michigan is not Oklahoma. Tornadoes happen about once a year in southeast Michigan, and they are generally weak and do little damage. I'd speculate the reason for Lapeer's elevated risk of tornadoes has to do with a particularly nasty tornado that struck near the town of Lapeer in 1953. History probably won't repeat itself, but there's no place that is 100% safe from natural disasters.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:08 AM

3,737 posts, read 3,843,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
North and east of Lapeer is all farming. I want to say its mostly commercial farming - sugar beets and such. Perhaps not much opportunity to purchase carrots and lettuce from the locals, but what do I know. Google shows that Lapeer has two farmer markets, as well as a Walmart, a Meijer's and a Kroger's - one of them should have organic produce if that's what you're looking for.
Yep, the Thumb is all sugar beets. There will be lots of Pioneer sugar trucks driving through, but that's more north of M-46.

Lapeer also is home to one of two dragstrips in SE Michigan, the other one is in Milan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan