Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 09:35 PM

34 posts, read 24,344 times

Advertisements

I'm way down near the Rio Grande and want some pasty. For those of you who know what I'm talking about I'd appreciate your advice as to some really good sources of online pasty that I can have sent down to me. I just want the basic kind - beef, potatoes, onions, and maybe rutabugo. My Grandmother used to fix it for us when she came and visited. She did not use rutabugo but I think I might like it. With, or without, will be just fine I think. Any way, I fell in love with it and it is not something easily found in the U.S. I don't think except maybe in Upper Michigan. Maybe I'm wrong about that but when I do a search for "pasty" all the sources seem to be in Upper Michigan. So, if you care to offer some suggestions for online sources, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 06:58 AM

8,353 posts, read 7,295,821 times
There are local pasty shops in Metro Detroit. IMO, Barb's Pasties in Clawson, Michigan is the best. But, as far as I know, the local places down here are Mom and Pop operations and don't ship frozen pasties.

Your best bet is to make your own pasties. The recipe isn't hard, and they'll be better than frozen.

But if you're dead set on ordering frozen pasties, you'll need to get them from one of the places in the Upper Peninsula that freezes them and ships them overnight. I can't recommend anyone for shipping, as I can get freshly made pasties from 10 minutes away.

Just be certain to get the pasties that you want. Cornish pasties use cubed beef, potatoes, onions, rutabagas, salt and pepper - and nothing more. Finnish pasties seem to use ground/minced beef, skip the rutabagas, and add peas and carrots.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:29 AM

6,893 posts, read 7,520,486 times
Not to butt into a Michigan thread, but I saw the title word Pasty and had to check it out.

The Iron Range of MN is known for pasties too. The Iron Range is northeastern MN. Both the UP of MI and The Range are mining areas, and many miners were Cornish and Finns. Thus the pasties.

I used to work in a public library on the Range, and we had a kitchen in the basement. Every year the churches in the area would have a pasty fundraiser, and cook the pasties in our kitchen. Oh, the scents!

I think Paul's Market in Eveleth might ship: https://www.paulsmarketandcatering.com/market You have to order soon, though, because it looks as though they don't ship after the end of March.

Pasties Plus in Grand Rapids might ship too. They're on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pasties-Plus-199847960072576/

But really, they're not too hard to make yourself. Just make sure you get good quality cubed lamb or beef. (IMHO the ones with ground beef are nasty.) Here's one recipe: https://abcooking.wordpress.com/2017...n-range-style/

Old 03-14-2022, 02:09 PM

Thanks for those replies 601halfdozen0theother & djmilf. I've checked some of those places out and will decide if I want to order or to make some myself. I have made some before and came out pretty good. I thought that I'd splurge and try some that these guys up there make. Looking at the cost of shipping gives me second thoughts. Ain't cheap.
I'll consider and then decide to cook or to order. I'm just not very good with the pastry part. Never eaten rutabaga in my life. Can't be too bad and might surprise me.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:42 AM

8,353 posts, read 7,295,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Eater View Post
I'm just not very good with the pastry part.
Grandma used to cheat and use pre-made pie crusts from the supermarket for the pasty shells. But then, she was Canadian. My Yooper grandfather said he wouldn't marry her until she learned from his mother how to make pasties.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:21 PM

14 posts, read 30,220 times
A couple to check out are pasty dot com (Pasty Central) or lawryspasties dot com. I've has Pasty Central pasties shipped without issue. Lawry's is right by where I grew up so I get them from the shop when I'm there, so I've never had them shipped.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:55 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,486,368 times
We've ordered from Pasty Central many times! Pretty darn good, and occasionally I do make them myself, but it IS a project.

Here's the website:
https://www.pasty.com/

Here's the link to oreder from on the website:
https://www.pasty.com/order.html

They've had a few issues during the pandemic, and they mention a few changes, but they are trying.

p.s. I seem to remember their deliveries are seasonal and don't deliver during the summer because the tourists (new customers!) take up all their time.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:23 AM

2,796 posts, read 938,657 times
Cafe' L'Anse might be able to ship you some? I know they have a shared- use kitchen and the bakers make a ton of pasties each week. Maybe they have some system where they can ship some out. They seem like really accommodating folks.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:36 PM

2,796 posts, read 938,657 times
I just passed through Iron Mountain, Michigan and saw on Dobber's sign that they ship pasties to all 50 states, if that helps.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Thanks for All Replies

If I can't find some good pasty out of all these I'm hopeless. As for using pre-made pie crust that's definitely out. The pastry is important in making pasty same as any pie. I used to watch my Mother make pies and she'd trim the crust, bake the trim and let me eat that. Homemade is best.

I appreciate all the input from you folks and also learned a new word - Yooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan