Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I think it was 2002..........

...when SE MI was inundated with ladybugs.

They weren't your typical ladybugs though, they were orange in color.

There'd be piles of dead ones, and man.....did they stink.

Back in the good 'ole days, my Granny would phone me from da U.P. to alert me on the mayfly hatch. I'd be up there the next morning with my fishin' gear.

Trout time......

Anyhoo.....summertime is a great time to be outdoors in MI. Try not to let the flying parasites ruin your day. DEET products, hat, loose fitting clothes, etc. Around the house, get rid of all of the standing water. Planters, flower pots, bird baths, etc. Make sure your gutters are completely clear of debris. It's amazing how little water those pesky critters need to hatch in.

BTW, an incredible number of houseflies this year in Phoenix. Most likely due to the long, cool wet spring we've had.
Those were Japanese Beatles YAZ and if I remember right they were released to try to combat another bug, maybe the ash borer bugs and they were not supposed to survive in our climate. Well they seemed to hang around for a few years and their bite was just like a black fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 PM

259 posts, read 703,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
They can be found everywhere, but typically around ponds and slow moving streams. I've seen more of 'em in the northern lower and da U.P. though. I almost let them ruin a camping trip in Mesick once.
What is considered the northern lower? Cadillac and up? Or Traverse and up? We are looking at properties possibly up in Manistee - would we find some there?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
What is considered the northern lower? Cadillac and up? Or Traverse and up? We are looking at properties possibly up in Manistee - would we find some there?
If you are in the rurals....absolutely.

So far, not many blackflies in our area (Boyne City). And I've never seen them being a problem for too long beyond their spontaneous hatches. Around the north, if you go in the woods you should dope up with a good repellent anyway.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 PM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Beautiful weekend up north in northern lower area. Sister's place on the lake is beautiful but, yes, we are inundated with flies this year. She said it's a bad year for them. They appear to be "deer flies" based on my experience, the type that buzz around you. Not really biting though, just very annoying. Could be the dry Spring they've had up here. Otherwise, an amazing Memorial Day weekend with spectacular Michigan.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
LOL.

Some folks that I know travel to Mt. Pleasant and consider that as "going up north."

I consider Gaylord to be in the southern part of the northern lower.

It's not a question as to if you'll find black flies in Manistee.....they will find YOU.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
North of 55 is Northern Lower...........there to Manistee, South of Cadillac, West Branch is Central Lower and anything lower than that is DownState

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
They are out on Saginaw Bay by the millions. We were about 10 miles out fishing.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 AM

So, anyone else get inundated with flies on their weekend "up north"? Any idea what kind they were?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Come on up to the U.P. We are almost bug free this year, due to the lack of rain. If you hang along the lake shore...no bugs at all. Just one more reason to visit the U.P. this year. Our beaches are uncrowed,people are friendly, highways with less traffic, and real bargans in lodging, services, and retail shops....remember, our weather is not influnced much by the lower 48.....it all comes down from cool Canada and is tempered by Lake Superior, the best of both worlds.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Come on up to the U.P. We are almost bug free this year, due to the lack of rain. If you hang along the lake shore...no bugs at all. Just one more reason to visit the U.P. this year. Our beaches are uncrowed,people are friendly, highways with less traffic, and real bargans in lodging, services, and retail shops....remember, our weather is not influnced much by the lower 48.....it all comes down from cool Canada and is tempered by Lake Superior, the best of both worlds.

That may happen around August as we make some plans for the summer. Would love to at least get to Munising, if not Copper Harbor. Depends on how much time we have. Lake Superior is my favorite, bar none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan