Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 07:56 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,118 times

Advertisements

Interested to see if anyone can point me toward these type of places in Michigan, something like the map screen capture I have attached: Heavily wooded area with homes/home lots throughout a road network within an association. I visited one in Presque Isle Co., (Presque Isle Harbor Association) and enjoyed much of what I saw, the vibe of the association, what it offered for the $, and especially being so close to so much water.

Any recommendation does not have to be in any specific area of Michigan; only that it must be wooded, very private, quiet and peaceful... The place I visited in PI Co. felt like it would be as if living in a quiet state park, and I really liked it even with its remoteness.

As for price I would like to keep that on the lower side; not looking for McMansion type housing, more along the lines of a modest cabin/cottage. Something like the photos I show from my trip - I think these two listed in the low $100's at the time... I'd guess there are many developments like this in Michigan.

Link to the PIHA website, to give a better idea of what I am seeking inside of Michigan. Thank you.

https://presqueisleharbor.org/
Attached Thumbnails
Wooded, single family home developments/locations in MI?-screenshot-2022-06-06-09-15   Wooded, single family home developments/locations in MI?-750_7045.jpg   Wooded, single family home developments/locations in MI?-750_7066.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 09:31 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
I sold my big castle in Macomb Twp. and moved into my 2nd home/cottage in the Gladwin county area of the now gone Wixom Lake area. Although I've seen the blight in the area for years, part time, living and seeing it every day is working on my psyche. I'm finding out that it seams like I'm the only one in the area that likes a nice yard, clean livable area. Everything is more expensive up here, longer drives to stores in Midland. The big positive is Mid-Michigan Heath system U.M. very top drawer. If housing prices ever drop I probably be looking to move back to SE Michigan. I'm not dealing with the culture shock that I've noticed in all of mid Michigan.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I sold my big castle in Macomb Twp. and moved into my 2nd home/cottage in the Gladwin county area of the now gone Wixom Lake area. Although I've seen the blight in the area for years, part time, living and seeing it every day is working on my psyche. I'm finding out that it seams like I'm the only one in the area that likes a nice yard, clean livable area. Everything is more expensive up here, longer drives to stores in Midland. The big positive is Mid-Michigan Heath system U.M. very top drawer. If housing prices ever drop I probably be looking to move back to SE Michigan. I'm not dealing with the culture shock that I've noticed in all of mid Michigan.
Exactly why I am looking at places that have some 'rules', as much as I hate HOA's of any type. I fully understand what you mention, and why I did not buy many homes that seemed ideal until I arrived on site. I have been lucky to have lived in very rural places that generally had pretty good neighbors at a distance... But all it takes is one 'bad one' or more 'bad ones' to move in and it all goes to hell fast, and IME there is no reasoning with them... It's all about "whatja gunna do, I'll do WTF I likes".

As I'm sure you know and will agree, there is a big difference between decent country folk, and abject blight happy trash. Funny too how folks think it's all about $$$ that separates the two... Nope. - I and my neighbors at the time had very modest means, but we all knew how to run a damn mower, keep the broken down POS vehicle put up and out of sight, pick up trash and be respectful of the peace and tranquility of the area... That's why we lived there! Lastly and curious, where in SE MI might you/would you would like to call home when you leave your current home? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Born and raised on the east side Detroit burbs. I would look in that area but smaller 1 level house. I bought the house next door to me to fix and resale. You sound like you'd make a good neighbor are you interested.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Born and raised on the east side Detroit burbs. I would look in that area but smaller 1 level house. I bought the house next door to me to fix and resale. You sound like you'd make a good neighbor are you interested.
Thanks Dave, be on the lookout for a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan