U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 01:26 AM

55 posts, read 40,838 times

Advertisements

I graduated from high school over ten years ago now. Now that the dust has settled and people have started to put down roots, I have noticed a definite brain drain. People from the graduating class of my high school (Auburn, MI of Bay County) heavily opted for relocation to metro Detroit. Very few people with career ambitions chose to stay in the Midland, Saginaw, Bay City area.

Other notable locations for those who left are: Grand Rapids metro, Traverse City metro, and smaller number of people relocated out-of-state and stayed away. Detroit is by far the biggest destination, taking probably 60% of those individuals who moved away, if not more.

I haven't looked at any data but I suspect that this is probably just a microcosm of what is happening in smaller metros throughout the Great Lakes region--older, more traditionally industrial population centers are losing a lot of talent (especially degree holders) to larger and economically stronger cities in close proximity.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 03:43 AM

4,947 posts, read 5,103,543 times
Flint and MBS have been losing population for decades. I suppose you could consider it Brain drain, if you didn’t want to just call it general decline. What you’re talking about is happening in smaller metros across the country really. It’s not limited to the Great Lakes/ Midwest. Over the last few decades there’s been a significant cultural shift toward bigger cities. Even in high growth states like Georgia, Texas, Virginia, California etc you see stagnation and a shift away from smaller metros. Though the past couple population estimates have showed a reverse trend of this as folks are shifting away due to Covid, and unrest in the cities. It’ll be interesting to see how that affects “brain drain”.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:16 PM

17,898 posts, read 16,075,323 times
I love small towns.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 PM

55 posts, read 40,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It’ll be interesting to see how that affects “brain drain”.
I chose the term brain drain very intentionally because I have observed that virtually all of the people who left are degree holders. The only people who graduated from college who are still around work in the medical industry.

This certainly shouldn't be news to anyone. I just think that this movement of degreed people bodes quite poorly for the areas like MBS that are missing out.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:00 PM

121 posts, read 49,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan91 View Post
I chose the term brain drain very intentionally because I have observed that virtually all of the people who left are degree holders. The only people who graduated from college who are still around work in the medical industry.

This certainly shouldn't be news to anyone. I just think that this movement of degreed people bodes quite poorly for the areas like MBS that are missing out.

I think that is a common trend most places.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:52 AM

762 posts, read 2,158,037 times
I haven't looked up the data either, but Lansing, Kalamazoo, and of course Ann Arbor seem to be retaining or attracting more educated people than they lose. Even Muskegon has seen some improvement. I presume it's a combination of local job market plus local amenities/features/culture.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:23 PM

107 posts, read 143,955 times
Lansing, Kalamazoo, and Ann Arbor all have universities, which helps. Businesses that need educated people often locate near large higher ed institutions, so there are jobs for people with degrees. And people can go to those colleges and have a relatively easy time job hunting locally when they're ready to graduate. It's mutually reinforcing. Nothing against Saginaw Valley State University, but I suspect that Michigan State, U of M, and Western are all larger.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:16 AM

7,070 posts, read 8,734,001 times
I know someone who moved from Cincinnati to Midland to work at Dow Corning.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:31 AM

2,877 posts, read 1,177,389 times
I don't see much value in college degrees now. Many graduates can't get adequate jobs to pay student loans, with frequent suicides. Loan default is starting to shrink the college racket. The smarter kids choose more practical training for less money. Regardless of education, the shift towards big metropolises will eventually reverse as energy expenses rise. The need for locally available food will limit population concentration.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:26 AM

6,245 posts, read 8,151,594 times
People go where the work is. Metro areas are large for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan