Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 AM

98 posts, read 321,543 times

Advertisements

Sometime last week it hit me that maybe I don't want to leave MI anymore - after months of visiting forum sites for SC, visiting the area, talking with realtors - I'm just not sure.

So, I'm hoping to get some opinions of those who live in MI and are/are not considering moving and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,893 times
Sure, it will turn around..everything turns are eventually. I am never leaving Michigan, I love it here. I am not suffering from the *grass is greener* syndrome. Things are tough all over, if you leave, you will be getting a whole new set of problems.

We are one of the lucky families, we got out of the Auto Industry, moved up north to our dream location on acreage and are very happy. Things arent perfect, prices are up for everyone.....but we adjust and get by...its not my beautiful states fault that gas and food prices keep going up, its not the states fault jobs are leaving and people cant sell their houses.....the fault belongs to people, not the place. I am here for good

Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM

36 posts, read 174,963 times
I would be telling a lie if I said I wasn't planning on leaving Michigan in the near future. But not for the reasons of employment. I will be retiring in about three years, and we are planning on moving to NH where our daughter lives. We have been away from their family way too long and its time to get the family closer. Will I miss Mich. you bet I will. This has been our home for 59 yrs. But we are looking forward to seeing new things and new places to explore. We have a building lot in the Keweenaw on lake Bailey and plan to keep that just in case we decide to build in the future. If nothing else it will go to the kids when we are gone. SC is a very pretty place to live. It has good points and bad just like we do here. Question you have to ask yourself is, is that the place for me, or is there something just as good here. Yes I may find work there, but will I like living in certin places, how are the taxes, what will the seasons be like. Myself I would have a hard time living there because of the heat in the summer months. I love the cooler climate we have here and I don't mind the snow at all. But that is just my take on it.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM

Thank you Michigansnowflake and tym2retyr -

I am young and about to be married and people see this as some reason TO move. However, my family is in TC and Mt. Pleasant so really I'd like to move from SE MI to Grand Rapids or the surrounding area.

I agree - I'm not really buying into the "grass is greener" thing either. When I visited SC it was great - but also quite warm for Thanksgiving - or what I want it to be around that time of the year. I don't mind the cold although ask me in January and my story may change!

I just want to make a good decision before I have kids - I don't want to bring kids up in a struggling economy so I'm really hoping it will turn around in the next 5-10 years.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on this!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM

792 posts, read 2,325,463 times
I'd say move to GR instead of SC. GR is doing better than the rest of the state, and having a close relationship with extended family members is more important for kids than material prosperity, IMHO.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Thanks tuebor!

I agree and I'm glad to hear that GR is doing ok. I hear all the negative stuff living in a Detroit suburb.

You are right about family. Although my parents are retired so they spend about 6 months out of the year in places warmer than MI. But, my brother is here and probably not going anywhere.

Are you familiar with GR? I've heard Wyoming is a decent place to live? Would you agree?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM

89 posts, read 337,145 times
Here are the latest West Michigan Metro area unemployment numbers from April 2008. The national average was 5.0 percent.

Kalamazoo 4.9
Holland 5.2
Grand Rapids 5.3
Battle Creek 5.9
Benton Harbor 5.9
Muskegon 6.5

Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Here are the latest West Michigan Metro area unemployment numbers from April 2008. The national average was 5.0 percent.

Kalamazoo 4.9
Holland 5.2
Grand Rapids 5.3
Battle Creek 5.9
Benton Harbor 5.9
Muskegon 6.5
Benton Harbor at only 5.9 %!!!!!! That's amazing! Still above the national average, but not too terrible.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,557 times
Why leave Michigan? Its wonderful here

Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Will Michigan EVER turn around?? Good question! To answer, here's a small history lesson:

After the Civil War, the South was so devastated that it became the great national backwater. If you had talked with a southerner in 1870 and said that one day people would flock to the south for good jobs and prosperity, they'd laugh so hard they'd forget to breathe. A century later, where is everyone going? The South. Where are some of the fastest economies? The South. It took a century, but the South, the sunbelt, is the place to be in the U.S. right now.

Fast forward to the 1930s. In 1933, when FDR took office, the national unemployment rate stood at about 33%. That's ONE THIRD of the American workforce! Now it's what...5.0.? oh the humanity!

In the late 1970s, the UK was considered "The sick man of europe". They had lost the empire, their economy was in sour shape, and the decline of Britain into a second rate power was common belief. Now London--not NYC--is the worlds' finance capital, and Britain is one of the most prosperous, powerful countries in the world.

So when people tell you "MI is going down the drain and will never get better!" and other nonsense, just remember that it's a load of BS and go on your way.

As for me considering leaving...yes. As a certified teacher (still subbing though) I always have to keep my options open. But if I were to ever leave it would be 1)only if I have to, kicking and screaming and 2) temporary. Michigan is home, my family and roots are here, and it's just a totally awesome place to live, raise a family and enjoy life.

So...that's my answer. Hope it puts things in perspective

Mackinac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan